Why become a member? ×

No Guitar no problem..

grumpyguts

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1477028082' post='3159300']
Our guitar man couldn't do band practice yesterday. So with Bass, Keys, Sax, Drums and vox we sounded lovely - well i thought so. I could actually hear what Mr Keys was doing plus bass sounded great in a bit more space.

Excellent, happy to do more without guitar.
[/quote]

We've been gigging and recording in a similar config (as above plus trombone) without guitar for years. We're not anti-guitar, that's just how it happened :)

My first band started out as guitar/bass/keys/drums/sax, we lost the guitar and added trumpet (doubling mandolin). Then we lost the keys and trumpet and carried on with just bass, drums and sax - and did more gigs with that lineup than the other two combined!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1477039911' post='3159367']
My first band started out as guitar/bass/keys/drums/sax, we lost the guitar and added trumpet (doubling mandolin). Then we lost the keys and trumpet and carried on with just bass, drums and sax - and did more gigs with that lineup than the other two combined!
[/quote]

I seem to remember a band with drums, bass and baritone sax (Morphine, I think). They were really good. I'd love to play sax in a band with that line up.

Drums, bass, keys and sax's was one of the Graham Bond line ups in the 60's.

When I started I always played in bands with brass players. I even went as far as to check out starting a drums, bass and brass band but in the very early 70's no one was interested. I needed a vocalist which has always been my problem.

Then Back Door appeared and blew my ideas into the weeds.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1477041360' post='3159387']
I seem to remember a band with drums, bass and baritone sax (Morphine, I think). They were really good. I'd love to play sax in a band with that line up.
[/quote]

Yes it was Morphine, mostly baritone sax. Mark Sandman, sadly missed :(

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1477028082' post='3159300']
Our guitar man couldn't do band practice yesterday. So with Bass, Keys, Sax, Drums and vox we sounded lovely - well i thought so. I could actually hear what Mr Keys was doing plus bass sounded great in a bit more space.

Excellent, happy to do more without guitar.
[/quote]

Tell him all that..

[quote name='keving' timestamp='1477047674' post='3159460']
It's almost like playing with a guitarist that understands how to play in a band with other musicians.
[/quote]

Yeah, and the pigs round here fly backwards to keep the dust out of their eyes.