Why become a member? ×

New Metallica album

Damonjames

Ok, so I'll stick my head above the parapet and start...

With the new album out in a few weeks, I just bought the moth into flame track off iTunes, and have heard hard wired a couple of times, I have to say, I can't wait until the al in is released!!

I know this will open a can of worms, but I think we are a step closer to vintage Metallica with this one. Death Magnetic was let down by the production, and the bass was a little too far back for my taste, but the new songs seem to have bridged the gap in this regard.

Rob's tone is killer too, I really dig it. While moth into flame has a very driven tone, that classic ampeg flavour is there. I absolutely LOVE. Jason's tone on the black album, the spector into ampeg just fits perfectly with James' guitar, IMHO this is the quintessential hard rock/metal benchmark tone. It sounds like they are heading back to this despite Rob being endorsed by Warwick, it isnt a "typical" Warwick sound, so maybe he is on something else. Whatever it is I like it.

Go on, let the arguing commence!!!

No argument from me, I've not heard the album yet, only Moth To Flame, and based on that, I agree it's closer to old-skool Metallica than any of their last few albums.

I watched video of the band bashing through a few songs on The Howard Stern Show, and have to say I was REALLY impressed with Rob, especially on Master Of Puppets. I love that they're allowing the bass to sit higher in the mix now, and Rob's timekeeping is exceptional, he is really locked in and it sounds giant.

I just wish Kirk would stop with the damn wah-wah pedal.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1476954415' post='3158701']
the clips released so far sound good, but they still have time to f*** up the production of the album. death magenetic underneath was a good album, but the production on it ruined it, lets hope they don't do the same here. i'm looking forward to it
[/quote]

It's already sounding better than DM on a sonic level, but the guitars are very weak - a combination of lack of drive and being too far back in the mix. Particularly Hardwired - the drums are far too upfront.

But I am looking forward to hearing the rest of the album.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1476914286' post='3158533']
It sounds like they are heading back to this despite Rob being endorsed by Warwick, it isnt a "typical" Warwick sound, so maybe he is on something else. Whatever it is I like it.

[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not a Warwick we're hearing. It could be the Fernandes. Or his Zon signature. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1476954923' post='3158710']

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not a Warwick we're hearing. It could be the Fernandes. Or his Zon signature. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yep, my money would be on the fern if I had to guess. Hugely underrated basses! Patrik has one up for sale for under £400, granted it doesn't have quite the same spec but it's still the same bass. He has tried a few different manufacturers to make something close to his beloved fern lol.

I'll listen to the album, but I have very low expectations, of the two new songs they've released, Hardwired was okay - nice, old-school thrash sound to it as I recall, but Moth To Flame just bored me - far too long, with parts that were neither memorable or necessary.

Here's hoping I enjoy the album and it hasn't been compressed to death like the last one

liking the return to old school thrash so hopefully the new album will follow suit, with bands like Revocation really killing it Metallica have got to nail this one but theyll still sell bundles regardless.
And Yeah the new ones from Meshuggah and Dillinger and Gojira have set a high bar i'll add Periphery and Opeth to that too.

Moth Into Flame is a decent track but Hardwired... was a steaming pile. Hoping for more like the former and it could be a decent album.

EDIT: Agreed that Rob's bass is sounding great.

Edited by HMX

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1476972308' post='3158923']
+1
The live clip of Hardwired, released at the same time - awesome. The guitars are far, far heavier.
[/quote]

The short "making of" video had me interested but listening to the actual track, it all sounds a bit puny which is a massive shame. Fingers crossed they can fix it before the album release.