Why become a member? ×

Which bass players do you wish you discovered earlier?

Fisheth

Not sure there is anyone I wish I'd discovered earlier..??? or not by many years at all. I might wish I'd picked someone up a year or two at most. I prefer current bass players moving things forward rather guys who have been doing the same thing forever.

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1476904327' post='3158390']
we hear you JTUK, now drop some names so perhaps others can discover something they've been missing for years! ;)
[/quote]

Ethan Farmer, Jerry Barnes... and the reasons would be because both have a very modern take on traditional styles.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1476906543' post='3158424']
Bruce Thomas.
I picked up a cheap copy of 'Get Happy' (Elvis Costello and the Attractions) after reading about it on here somewhere.
F***ing amazing band! Everything about BT's sound does get me very happy indeed.
[/quote]

Great record, one every bass player should hear.

Being more than partial to Afrobeat, Makossa and playing the djembe this has led me to recently finding out about lots of top players from various genres who come from West Africa e.g. Richard Bona, Armand Sabal Lecco, Noel Ekwabi, Etienne M'bappe. Cameroon is where its' at. Check out some Makossa stuff.

I don`t think there is any that I wish I discovered earlier. I had hardly heard of any of the bass players until I joined this forum. Discovering new ones always gives me a sense of enjoyment. A lot of music I wouldn`t even have bothered with. If a Micheal Jackson song came on the radio, I would switch off, but I now listen to the bass line, as there are some great examples. So even songs I knew, I am rediscovering them and the bass player.

Rick Danko - The Band didn't hit the radar with me until my late 20s and that was despite The Black Crowes referencing them in my teens when they were my favourite band. A shocking oversight on my part.

Also despite Mum's really cool record collection, Curtis Mayfield's bass player Joseph "Lucky" Scott was also someone who managed to avoid me until adulthood.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1477067217' post='3159695']

Also despite Mum's really cool record collection, Curtis Mayfield's bass player Joseph "Lucky" Scott was also someone who managed to avoid me until adulthood.
[/quote]
That is one I am listening to a lot.Well Curtis Mayfield, as I have no idea who played the bass, which fits neatly into a question. I have to transcribe a song for the first time, so I picked Pusherman. Is Scott playing the bass on that? In fact, I am just getting into the Superfly soundtrack. Some awesome tracks on it

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1477067557' post='3159699']

That is one I am listening to a lot.Well Curtis Mayfield, as I have no idea who played the bass, which fits neatly into a question. I have to transcribe a song for the first time, so I picked Pusherman. Is Scott playing the bass on that? In fact, I am just getting into the Superfly soundtrack. Some awesome tracks on it
[/quote]

Love that album, I'm actually thinking about trying to order the DVD or download the film, just because the sound track is so good.