Why become a member? ×

IEM with bass guitar

simon_says

I recently purchased a LD MEI100 G2 in ear monitoring system for use with my bass guitar. The bass sound was very poor with the lower bass notes being particularly distorted, a type of modulated hiss, and I tried various channels and other configurations to get a good sound without success. The bass sounds good when connected to the headphone output on the transmitter.

The supplier has offered a full refund but won't be providing a replacement as they think it is unsuitable for bass guitar.

I am sure I have read posts of players who have used it but I would be grateful if anyone can confirm successful use of this LD system with a bass guitar as it is most inconvenient not now having monitoring.

Thank you for your help.

Drop Tonyf a line - although I believe he utilises the MEI1000 and not the MEI100. In the monster IEM thread (linked above), you'll see that most LD users are using the 1000... I don't know if using the 100 is the source of your problems however. Radio gear for wireless IEM is very sketchy unless you are prepared to outlay some serious cash. RF needs to be reliable and the compounders need to be spot on - especially for bass players. Perhaps the response level is not up to what you need?

I still haven't tried the LD systems but from all the other budget systems that I have tried, I would say save your money and go wired unless you can plump for either the Sennheiser EW300 or Shure 300/900 - but appreciate that is a much higher investment over what you have already. Having said this, do drop the LD users a line to see what they think - I know Tonyf has been happy with his - but conversely he hasn't heard my EW300s or PSM900s to compare with.

Thanks very much guys for your input. From an engineering perspective I would have expected there to be a high pass filter on the radio so apart from losing the fundamental frequency of the bass note (which is only a part of the whole signal) there should no adverse effects on the transmission. The effect I was hearing was definitely a faulty hiss.

I was hoping that someone on here would have been able to put me out of my misery but I guess I will have to find an Olde Worlde music shop that stocks them and actually try it before I buy.

Thanks again

Simon

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476795783' post='3157288']
I still haven't tried the LD systems but from all the other budget systems that I have tried, I would say save your money and go wired unless you can plump for either the Sennheiser EW300 or Shure 300/900 - but appreciate that is a much higher investment over what you have already. Having said this, do drop the LD users a line to see what they think - I know Tonyf has been happy with his - but conversely he hasn't heard my EW300s or PSM900s to compare with.
[/quote]

Simon, I've just PM'd you re: the MEI1000s we run.

Russ, true dat. My experience of IEMs is limited because we've not been able to compare the MEI1000s with anything else. For us, the budget dictated the gear although when we started our journey, we weren't exactly aware of the technical aspects of putting together a good IEM solution. I'd love to A/B the Shure/Sennheiser alternatives against the MEI1000 at some point, if only to try and justify an "upgrade path" for the band.