Why become a member? ×

Jim Fleeting's New 6 string

ARGH

[quote name='spector6' post='303203' date='Oct 9 2008, 05:47 PM']Very nice, the shape of the body and some of the features remind me of Claypool's rainbow bass by Carl Thompson.[/quote]

That was the first thing I thought as well :)

It's a striking instrument. [b]ARGH[/b] - have you got (or can you get) any more info on the spec ?

[quote name='ARGH' post='303193' date='Oct 9 2008, 05:39 PM']Yummy innit![/quote]Couple of things, the tuners look to be too close to the sides of the headstock and too small, I would imagine tuning to be awkward and there seems to be little or no contouring on the body. One more, would intonation be a bit of a hit and miss affair with the saddle arrangement?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='304423' date='Oct 11 2008, 03:28 PM']Couple of things, the tuners look to be too close to the sides of the headstock and too small, I would imagine tuning to be awkward and there seems to be little or no contouring on the body. One more, would intonation be a bit of a hit and miss affair with the saddle arrangement?[/quote]
Seeing as its fretless?...The saddle arrangment isnt a problem.

The tuners are due to the photos perspective..they are clear an as easy to use,as are ALL of Jim creations. The customer wanted the 'feel' of a classic bodied bass..50s style ..so Jim went slabish..at the customers request .The Bass is the closest Jim comes to a simple Mahogany/Maple wooded instrument.

Of course its in tune...you use your left hand and ears to judge your playing. Isnt the idea of fretless to be alike in attributes of both the upright with the Electric Bass?

You dont see cellists,Violinists,Uprights etc asking for individual string saddles upon their instruments? That would be absurd,an adjustable bridge for fretted..yes its needed,but on fretless?? Set it to the 12thfret harmonic to correspond with the fretted note..and the rest is for your ears to do.
:) I thought you would know that.

[quote name='ARGH' post='305970' date='Oct 14 2008, 08:14 AM']Of course its in tune...you use your left hand and ears to judge your playing. Isnt the idea of fretless to be alike in attributes of both the upright with the Electric Bass?

You dont see cellists,Violinists,Uprights etc asking for individual string saddles upon their instruments? That would be absurd,an adjustable bridge for fretted..yes its needed,but on fretless?? Set it to the 12thfret harmonic to correspond with the fretted note..and the rest is for your ears to do.
:) I thought you would know that.[/quote]

Why is it a lined fretless then?
Whats the point in having visual markers for intonation when that intonation cannot be set properly!?

I would understand the thinking behind it if it was an unmarked board!
Not having a go, just saying :huh:

Anyway, interesting shape, quality workmanship!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='306077' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:04 AM']Why is it a lined fretless then?
Whats the point in having visual markers for intonation when that intonation cannot be set properly!?[/quote]

My point exactly. Sure you can adjust and play by ear and compensate for wrong intonation but I have an unlined fretless which I have intonated(?) properly, making it more precise. Lord knows it doesn't need complicating further if I have to cope with varying intonation on each string relative to the next - OK I am talking minuscule amounts but still...

This and the fact that this is a lined fretless means I would have an adjustable bridge.

Cheers
ped

P.s not having a go either - these bridges seem popular with lots of small volume luthiers I have noticed of late. I am sure they have their reasons for them as I have mine against, so it's all good...

The answer is tone,regarding bridge choice.....I asked Jim and his reply was "Its what he (The Customer) wanted"

Lets not get into the idiotic discussion of the level I had on sevenstring.org a year ago...re: wooden bridges,they play in tune are easy to live with and work perfectly well.

So you have a perfectly intonated fretless Ped?? Is that possible? Seeing as the fretting hand IS the intonation...thus bringing into question a players technique..I highly doubt your claim to be true,which then brings the question of what is perfect intonation,the answer being practically an impossibility in the western scale of a fretted neck and in the fretless players case the ears and hands.

The 'lines' are guides..but as you know one little movement..the rolling of the fingertip and all the setting up and intonating in the world aint gonna help you out there..if we were really hardcore we wouldnt have dots on the side either (ala Jeff Ament) would we?

On the question on adjusting the action upon the instrument?

WHY?? WTF would you want to adjust the action after purchase?..you try it out when Jim finishes it,and if you dont like it its changed in the shop there and then,if you get a shift a week or two later,or its not to your taste then its easy enough to do,via a qualified Luthier...I dont know anyone on here that radically changes string guages week in week out,nor travels vast distances between timezones and climates,and if you were to get a big neck shift its why Trussrods are in existance...Of course any changes upon a Jim Fleeting are subject to a free setup at a 6 month interval (might be 12 months as well email Jim for information). If you can afford to change strings every week,and need diffent guages upon one instrument,I have the feeling you might be in enough money to own more than one instrument.

I think you're taking this a bit too personally ARGH :)
We're simply discussing the pro's and con's of that style bridge!

I myself like the freedom of a fully adjustable bridge so that I don't have to go back to a luthier every time I wish to tweak it! And the amount that I'm out playing, and the punishment my basses go through as a result, they need tweaking every now and then!
Clearly this customer is happy to have that bridge, and we are happy for him/her! :huh:

Si

On the subject of wooden bridges, I quite like the idea.

Kinda low-tech, but if it works, it works.

I agree with ARGH's point about adjusting string height. I've had my bass set up once and that is how it will stay. If I got it back from the luthier after a set-up and the action wasn't right, I'd get him (or her) to re-do it.

It's difficult to comment on these things without playing it though, so I may be talking out of my arse.*

*but if I am, so are most of you!

With Sibob again. I don't think my post could have been less confrontational if I tried, so I don't know why you are getting so pent up! With regards to the intonation on my fretless if I capo the 12th fret the strings are all intonated properly, and I suspect with a wooden bridge this would be more difficult. Weather this is noticeable to a player/listener was not my argument.

On the point about the action, all I can say is things change - string choice, setup preference and so on. A fully adjustable bridge is simply more easily adjusted and doesn't require a luthier to use, However like tBBC I haven't touched my action for many years, but then again the neck is stable and doesn't even have a truss rod!

Like I said - just some thoughts. I like the look of them too and I am sure they sound great and play very well if setup to your tastes.

ped