Why become a member? ×

Where Is Skegness?

blue

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1476737018' post='3156881']
Butlins is quite a way outside of Skeggy and its in the Ingoldmells area.
The main road out to is full of very large caravan parks, some of the largest in the UK, in the Summer months they use to be full of miners families on their annual two week break.
[/quote]

Not sure I would admit to that level of in-depth knowledge of Butlins anywhere, even if I lived next door!

:lol:

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1476904745' post='3158401']
The song "Thriller", Was originally called "Skegness" Quite a few of the Skeggy residents appear in the music video.
[/quote]

Yep, most of them can still be seen in Skeg Morrisons on a Monday morning... :D

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1476524308' post='3154942']
Way back in 1999 I played a gig at the Cleethorpes Conservative Club.

We were an Eighties "tribute" act...Pet shop Boys, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Duran Duran type stuff.

The Audience were all "in their Eighties" or so it seemed :ph34r:
[/quote]

In my day, playing the local clubs, that was a good gig.

You should have tried Gainsborough Liberal Club. First set we played to the barman, the secretary and his dog. Second set it started out the same when two numbers from the end it filled up and it was great. We thought the last set was going to a good one.

"Ladies and gentleman, it's BINGO time!" Yup, out came the cards and the bingo machine and twenty-five minutes of bingo ensued. "Now Ladies and Gentlemen put your hands together for ..." which was drowned out in the rush for the door.

Turned out that all the clubs had bingo that night and they timed it so that the punters could get from one to the other without missing a game and have a drink in each club.

We played the last set to the barman ...

Edited by oggiesnr

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the old thread resurrection!

I'm driving down to Skegness for this! I've taken the kids to Butlins before, so I have an idea what to expected.

I'm quite a big fan of Steve Harley and he hasn't brought his full band to Scotland for years, so making a weekend of this.

My friend and both our wives are going down. About £450 for the weekend - not bad for three nights entertainment and accommodation.

We've not heard of too many of the bands, but we've looked up most of them on Spotify. Moreland and Arbuckle sound decent - will make sure I catch them.

Should hopefully be a decent enough weekend!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1484670716' post='3217361']
Apologies for the old thread resurrection!

I'm driving down to Skegness for this! I've taken the kids to Butlins before, so I have an idea what to expected.

I'm quite a big fan of Steve Harley and he hasn't brought his full band to Scotland for years, so making a weekend of this.

My friend and both our wives are going down. About £450 for the weekend - not bad for three nights entertainment and accommodation.

We've not heard of too many of the bands, but we've looked up most of them on Spotify. Moreland and Arbuckle sound decent - will make sure I catch them.

Should hopefully be a decent enough weekend!
[/quote]they're good value weekends, enjoy, avoid Cleethorpes though :(

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1476433296' post='3154178']
I've played Butlins at Skeggy a couple of times...

[url="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/5614aed0-8ea4-e018_zpskxqluli1.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

That is how I remember Skeggy, from a family holiday in the early 80s (we lived in Melton Mowbray for a few years). Especially the oil on the beach.

Butlitz..... Played several of their camps and indeed quite a few that became Warner leisure Hotels after the fact.
sh*te.

Funniest one was playing a HUGE holiday camp ballroom place in Bournemouth - the event was billed as The World Line Dancing Championships.
How we laughed!
Headline act was one Skeeter Davis. Her and us were the only two acts all weekend smart enough to ask if we could hook a feed to the (huge) house PA system.
Everyone else including some with about 2kwatts sounded like a cockroach fart.... :D

I was at this gig last weekend and had a bloody good time!

The Butlins camp is its own little self contained village with a few good sized stages and a few pubs. Our apartment was as far away from the stages as you could get, but only took 15 minutes at most to get to the entertainment.

Skegness itself isn't the greatest place in the UK, but Butlins is disconnected from it entirely!

Moreland & Arbuckle were the best band of the weekend. I also enjoyed Sugarman Sam and the Voodoo Men, The Texas Flood, Marcia Ball, Toronzo Cannon, Joanne Shaw Taylor and of course Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel.

Edited by geoham

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1485421112' post='3223778']
A link for you Blue.
[url="http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/skegness-named-alongside-syria-and-north-korea-as-one-of-worlds-worst-holiday-spots/ar-AAmam81?ocid=spartanntp"]http://www.msn.com/e...ocid=spartanntp[/url]
[/quote]

Cool, we opened for Morland & Arbuckle at an October gig and they were excited about this gig.

The Great British Rock & Blues Festival weekend, is held at the Butlins resort in Skegness, Lincolnshire from Friday 20th to Monday 23rd January 2017.
[b] Line-up[/b]

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Top Topham's Early Yardbirds, Billy Boy Miskimmin, The Blues Band, David Knopfler & Harry Bogdanovs, Paul Jones & Dave Kelly, Lil' Jimmy Reed, Toronzo Cannon, [b]Moreland & Arbuckle,[/b] Shemekia Copeland, Martin Harley, Giles Robson and Band, Billy Branch, James Harman, Magic Dick, The Rainbreakers, Popa Chubby Band, Eric Sardinas Band, The Texas Flood, Kenney Jones & The Jones Gang, Snafu, and Sugar Man Sam and The Voodoo Men. .
Plus Blue Matters new band stage, and more.

Blue