Why become a member? ×

Where Is Skegness?

blue

The year that we played at Butlin's, the "travelling" band (who played a different camp site each night) were "Brian Poole and Blackcat" - yes, he of the Tremelos. I know so because he always wore his T-shirt proclaiming that fact. Unfortunately he always wore a leather jacket that covered the first and last two letters of his name on the T-shirt. I don't think he appreciated me calling him Ian Poo :D

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1476446838' post='3154388']
The year that we played at Butlin's, the "travelling" band (who played a different camp site each night) were "Brian Poole and Blackcat" - yes, he of the Tremelos. I know so because he always wore his T-shirt proclaiming that fact. Unfortunately he always wore a leather jacket that covered the first and last two letters of his name on the T-shirt. I don't think he appreciated me calling him Ian Poo :D
[/quote]

That is just brilliant.
😀

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1476432744' post='3154169']

They are not the greatest payers, so whether you get a good sound person can be a bit of a lottery.

I tend to loo
[/quote]you're not wrong there, the main acts last weekend, From the Jam, Tom Robinson, Stranglers had a great sound, (I'm assuming they had their own sound guys)but some of the others had the appalling boomy prominent bass drum to contend with, which made it sound very muddy indeed

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1476433296' post='3154178']
I've played Butlins at Skeggy a couple of times...

[url="http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/paul_510/media/5614aed0-8ea4-e018_zpskxqluli1.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]if you think that about Skeggy you should visit Ingoldmells, makes Skegness look posh

[quote name='NickRiffed' timestamp='1476452472' post='3154462']
That is just brilliant.
😀
[/quote]

The band had some of the old army hut "chalets" for overnight accommodation. They were always freezing cold. The guitarist, who was a bit of an animal in the style of Keef, had enough freezing so tore down the curtains and set light to them in a metal bin to warm the place up a bit! :D

We stayed in an off-site caravan park in Ingoldmells - I paid for accommodation rather than spend more than a week in the free chalet that Butlins provided

[/quote]

The guys in the house band at one of the jam sessions I frequent are also part of the Electrix who act as Brian's backing band when he does those type of shows now, though he doesnt get out as much as used to, in his 70's now and not in great health. It's interesting that he still keeps up the Tremeloes link, they had more hits after he'd left than with him in the band.

Edited by KevB

Could be worse, could be Cleethorpes. A seaside town which only has the sea for two hours a day and whose motto translates as "Sometimes Better Than Dying". And lies.

Had some grim times in Northern seaside towns, bless em all. Back in the eighties my dad spent one January in Blackpool on a training course with no car; by the second weekend he was reduced to trying to buy a lad's bike off him so he could cycle down to Liverpool for a night.

[quote name='borntohang' timestamp='1476455834' post='3154509']
Could be worse, could be Cleethorpes. A seaside town which only has the sea for two hours a day and whose motto translates as "Sometimes Better Than Dying". And lies.

Had some grim times in Northern seaside towns, bless em all. Back in the eighties my dad spent one January in Blackpool on a training course with no car; by the second weekend he was reduced to trying to buy a lad's bike off him so he could cycle down to Liverpool for a night.
[/quote]

I went to Cleethorpe once as a child. The sea was there when we arrived, we went and had something to eat, maybe taking 30 minutes or so, came out and the sea had vanished !

[/quote]

I once did a gig wearing a Star Wars T shirt featuring Darth Vader saying " I am your father' I couldnt understand why our guitarist keep looking over at me and giggling.
I asked him at the end of the gig what he was laughing at, and he said that my guitar strap was covering certain letters so all he could see was 'I am fat!" :blush:

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1476431160' post='3154151']

When I was in Rochester, NY, my guide Marie pointed out the canal. I never knew the US had canals for the same purpose we did (transportation of goods before road transport got popular). She knew this would surprise me. In much the same way, I've been racking my brains trying to think if I have ever heard of an american equivalent of the holiday camp and I cant think of one. After WW2 few people here had cars, and so the holiday camp you could reach by train in a couple of hours from pretty much anywhere was a good idea. I suspect there is no direct equivalent largely due to geography and more distributed populations in the US. It was all a bit second rate, but still better than the factory

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_camp"]https://en.wikipedia...ki/Holiday_camp[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks Geek,

Nice history of the Holiday Camp.

Blue

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476456590' post='3154520']

I went to Cleethorpe once as a child. The sea was there when we arrived, we went and had something to eat, maybe taking 30 minutes or so, came out and the sea had vanished !
[/quote]

I stopped off in Cleethorpes last February , en route to Scarborough. It was so bloody freezing I had to buy some extra clothing. It was also pretty deserted. I loved it.

I sat in a really nice fish restaurant and had fish n chips completely on my own. All the funfairs etc were closed. It had a wonderful ghostly atmosphere.

I love English seaside towns in winter.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1476471980' post='3154703']

I stopped off in Cleethorpes last February , en route to Scarborough. It was so bloody freezing I had to buy some extra clothing. It was also pretty deserted. I loved it.

I sat in a really nice fish restaurant and had fish n chips completely on my own. All the funfairs etc were closed. It had a wonderful ghostly atmosphere.

[/quote]

I love that coast. My grandparents lived in Lincolnshire, my parents had a caravan in a place called Market Deeping, ideal for exploring all around. A cool place was somewhere called Gedney Drove End, absolutely nothing there !

I sat in a really nice fish restaurant and had fish n chips completely on my own.
[/quote]
I know exactly the one you're talking about

[/quote]

I'm trying to remember which comedian described Cleethorpes as being like a cemetery with lights.

I think it could have been Les Dawson.

Way back in 1999 I played a gig at the Cleethorpes Conservative Club.

We were an Eighties "tribute" act...Pet shop Boys, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Duran Duran type stuff.

The Audience were all "in their Eighties" or so it seemed :ph34r:

We thought the agent had made a massive mistake when we started setting up and saw them coming in.

The night was a blast! everyone up and dancing from the first song :gas:

Oh and my mate met his Father, whom he hadn't seen for years when we went for fish and chips before starting the gig so all in all.....

A good visit to the thriving metropolis that is Cleethorpes :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1476478202' post='3154743']
Is Epton's chip shop still going in Skegness? (Fries, blue) And if so does it still do that fabulous onion gravy? Good memories and about the only appealing thing about Skeggy in the mid 80s
[/quote]Yes, and I think, yes. Still the best chippy in Skeg, though smaller than I remember it being when I was a kid!