Why become a member? ×

1971 Fender Musicmaster Bass - WITHDRAWN
£350

AdamWoodBass

** WITHDRAWN FROM SALE **

After spending some time examining it closely with another BC'er we've discovered that the bass is actually in a bit of a worse state than I originally thought it was. The crack in the body extends further than I thought. Looking closer at the wood what I thought was a join between 2 pieces of ply is actually a crack - not good. I may restore this myself if I get time one day but until then it's going to be relegated to a storage rack until it's fate is decided.

Thanks to everyone for their interest and apologies for listing something without properly checking it's condition.

Edited by AdamWoodBass

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1476344629' post='3153423']
I bought a '71 Musicmaster bass in 1979- long ago moved on. As I remember it had a 6-magnet guitar pickup, so that might explain the Jazz bass mod. Interesting bass and a good project.
[/quote]
Yep, that was one of the cost-engineering measures taken to produce what was in effect a budget version of the Mustang bass.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1476359337' post='3153593']
Eeek
My year of birth bass
I play short scale
I'm in Manchester
The stars may be aligning!
[/quote]

.... and that's a good price for a Y.O.Birth bass too
Go for it :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1476344917' post='3153426']
Hi Adam,

Re the crack near the bridge; How far does it extend? Any chance of some close-up pics of it from the front & back?
[/quote]

I will try and get some better pics of the crack tonight when I'm back from work. Being a bit of a muppet when it comes to woodwork I have no idea of the implications, it certainly doesn't make it feel unstable at all. I know that a crack is not the end of the world as I have a split in the headstock on my Yamaha (pub gig, drunken idiot, bass crashes to the floor, you know the drill) which was repaired by a joiner mate of my dad's and is probably stronger than it was when it was first built.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1476359337' post='3153593']
Eeek
My year of birth bass
I play short scale
I'm in Manchester
The stars may be aligning!
[/quote]

You're welcome to come and take a look at it mate, PM me.

[quote name='Aero71' timestamp='1476454287' post='3154493']
Very nice project, also my YOB. :)

Looks like there's a lot of space between the heel of the neck and both sides of the neckpocket.
Or is it the pickguard that doesn't fit too well?
[/quote]

There is yeah, again due to the hack job someone did when they "modded" it at some point in its life time. The pickgaurd is not original (thanks to scrumpymike for pointing that out earlier in this thread) and I presume it's from a Jazz which would have had a wider neck up at the heel end hence the spacing on the neck pocket.

If someone took this as a project the first thing I'd do is get it re-finished then get one of these:
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pickguards-c62/fender-basses-c111/musicmaster-bass-c149/musicmaster-bass-parchment-solid-p2066

And one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-FENDER-PICKUP-for-Bronco-Mustang-MusicMaster-GUITAR-or-BASS-Reads-5-75K-/252132880478?hash=item3ab44a705e:g:VKgAAOSwT5tWJV3W

You wouldn't be far off having a nicely restored vintage Fender if you did that.

• 3 weeks later...

As requested by another BC'er I've done some better shots with a better camera. Dropbox link below. Please note that the E string came off and because it was so old the end of it snapped so I couldn't put it back on. I will put some old strings on it for the buyer if needed but you may want to do that yourself if you're restoring it.

£300 plus shipping at buyers cost. Will consider trades but specifically looking for an amp head (show me what you have), a P-Bass or a 5 string Jazz Bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pq4v8jd8u7bwqo5/AAA9y6gGyb9_f9lH9WH_u9qYa?dl=0

As always I can attempt to answer any questions but please be aware I know virtually nothing about this bass!

Cheers