Why become a member? ×

Which bass cab for clean, funk/soul type sound?

Jaykingfunk

For me, Genz Benz Streamliner 900 into a TC Electronics RS212 cab using a USA Fender Jazz Deluxe. I'm not a fan of dirt myself and always strive for a clean sound.

I've gone through plenty of cabs inc Aguilar, Barefaced, Bergantino etc etc and I think the sound I have with this set up is the best I've personally experienced.

My band play Funk/Soul/Dance covers from old to new.

Obviously your bass of choice will / can massively change the sound through this set up but I find that the bass mentioned above works bloody perfect for me.

These cabs will save you a fair bit too compared with others you have specified but sound equally as good to my ear and with a smaller footprint.

Edited by Freddie75

I have used various mesa boogie cabs and they come across very clean regardless of music style. I've used them for Rnb , Funk, Jazz-funk, soul reggae folk music and funky rock and they have a great clean sound. As someone alluded to earlier clean means different things to different people and your bass and amp will obviously have an affect on what signal you are asking your cabs to reproduce. I use a Peavey Tour 450 as a backup amp and that sounds much less clean than my mesa walkabout through the same cabs.

I play a lot of this kind of music and have had quite a few of the cabs and amps mentioned on here and my advice would as follows:

TC Electronic kit looks great and has some fantastic features and sounds great by itself at home but just doesn't cut through in the live sound at all - I couldn't wait to move mine on!

Barefaced - just no, it's not hi-fi at all and is not what you need for this music.

EBS - yes it's great for funk and particularly slap, the Bright dial on the amps allows you to make it as hi-fi as you like, if it's too zingy then just roll it off a little - simples. For me the cabs were a touch too much on the hi-fi side and I have now opted for older SWR cabs which are very similar to EBS but just a bit rounder.

Begantino - great cabs but do lack a bit of the top end needed for that Marcus type sound.

Aguilar - used by Jerry Barnes say no more! Not tried the newer Tone Hammers but the AG500SC was a nice amp.

Can concur that the EBS 2x12 was a monster of a cab.