Why become a member? ×

Which bass cab for clean, funk/soul type sound?

Jaykingfunk

Morning all,

I'm looking at getting a new rig and flogging my current gear. Currently running a Mark Bass CMD102P with a GK 1 x 15 but fancy something new. (This isn't a sale post mods!)

Been a long time since I've bought a new amp or cab and keep seeing lots of makes that I'm not that familiar with! Bergantino, Vanderkley and Barefaced all seem to be regarded as top cabs. Tempted by a TCRH750 head but not sure what to pair it with, maybe a 1 x 12...

Anyone else on here strive for the clean, funky/soul sound that can offer advice?

Cheers, J.

I'm playing a lot of Stevie Wonder / Sinatra / Big Band at the moment and I'm using a pair of Barefaced One10 cabs.

1 for rehearsal and 2 for the show (sorry!)

The One10 seems to have a more old fashioned tone than some of the neo designs that push the mids a bit too much for me. I sold a pair of Bergantino CN112 cabs to get the One10s and I'm very happy I did.

The Barefaced BB2 is regarded as a very clean/clear sounding cab while the range that uses the 10" driver like the one10 mentioned above, is less clear and more coloured.

I have both those cabs and I like them both but I prefer the BB2 for the fuller range on offer.

I haven't owned or played through the others you mention so I won't comment on them.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Thanks for the replies people.

To answer a few questions:

I play fingerstyle and don't use a plectrum.

I have a 2001 MIM 5 string Fender jazz deluxe and a G&L L2500 5 string that I use the most for gigging in my current function band playing, funk/soul/pop/disco.

I own a Music Man SUB (US made) too but rarely play it.

I suppose I'm mainly after the HiFi sound, no distortion basically! I've found the jazz bass can sound a bit distorted at higher volumes when I'm gigging but not sure if this is down to the output when I turn the active EQ up.

I also play quite hard! I high 105 to 70's on my G&L and 105 to 65 on my jazz...

Hope this helps!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476288880' post='3153087']
Can't really get cleaner than 2x12 EBS Neo.
[/quote]
I own one of these cabs and would heartily concur with this. It's right up there with my old SWR Triad in terms of glassy hi-fi smoothness.

No-one mentioning Bergantino HD112s? Well, I will.... :)

Whilst I'm aware this has probably been written 1000 times, but a key decision here is deciding what sort of speakers you like - i.e. Neodymium, Ceramic, Ferrous, etc...

If I'm not mistaken, your GK cab is likely to be a Neo driver, the same as those in the CMD102P. This suggests perhaps you might like Neo cabs - but it's worth getting out there and having a listen / play. Visiting somewhere like Bass Direct is a worthwhile endeavour, as you get to A/B different cabs and amps in a useful and bass-friendly way.

Playing a lot of finger-style funk / soul / rhythm and blues myself, I value the articulation, warm clarity and bottom end response I get with my pair of Bergantino HD112s. They are currently run with a Mark Bass LMK providing the power, EQ flat. You're looking at an RH750 to power your rig - IMO, that head isn't very transparent. Even so - try stuff, see if it works. As GrammeFriday says, if you like the RH, try a TC cab - the new K Series are nice, look cool and are quite wallet friendly.

The thing about this place is that you could try some different combinations of stuff in the For Sale section, and see what works for you... :)

Just chipping in for a comment about EBS Hi-Fi(ness) that some are regarding here. I had a pair os EBS cabs, the neoline 1x10 and 1x12, i thought they sounded good until i bought a Barefaced Midget T and then i saw just how many mids were sucked by the EBS cabs and the SPL was way lower on EBS. I'm not saying it's not quality gear, it is very good but for Hi-Fi i would go for something with a flatter response like My current BF Super12T or the BB2/BT2 etc.

Cheaper options like used SWR gear or GK are also very hi-Fi(ish) and easy to find for sale. I would stay well away from anything TC related if i were you, won't be as defined as you may believe, i'm saying this because i've tried both the head and the cabs that have been mentioned in this thread, too muddy if you don't dial in a lot of mids and control the low but then the cabs can't keep up with that EQ... i hated it. If you want to go lightweight then you can find cheap Aguilar TH500 / Genz Benz STL9 / GK MB500 used on the sales forum, they'll sound flatter than the TC.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1476356353' post='3153552']
Just chipping in for a comment about EBS Hi-Fi(ness) that some are regarding here. I had a pair os EBS cabs, the neoline 1x10 and 1x12, i thought they sounded good until i bought a Barefaced Midget T and then i saw just how many mids were sucked by the EBS cabs and the SPL was way lower on EBS. I'm not saying it's not quality gear, it is very good but for Hi-Fi i would go for something with a flatter response like My current BF Super12T or the BB2/BT2 etc.
[/quote]
BF tune their cabs to push the mids... and when you push the mids, your ear tells you that the SPL is greater. EBS hype the top end - but that is easily nullified by turning down the tweeter.

I would never endorse the 1x10 and 1x12 Newline cabs... they are fartboxes and not comparable to the rest of the lineup. Their 2x12 is very much a different kettle of fish compared to running 2 1x12s.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476357103' post='3153562']
BF tune their cabs to push the mids... and when you push the mids, your ear tells you that the SPL is greater. EBS hype the top end - but that is easily nullified by turning down the tweeter.

I would never endorse the 1x10 and 1x12 Newline cabs... they are fartboxes and not comparable to the rest of the lineup. Their 2x12 is very much a different kettle of fish compares to running 2 1x12s.
[/quote]

I know all that theory and tried different cabs from various brands. I settled with what i have because is the best gear i've found that will reproduce the sound comming out of my bass as faithfull as possible without EQing. The mids aren't bumped in my cab, they're present and i like it. Most bass cabs have a mid-cut voicing because that goes in favour of a big percentage of bassplayers that use a V-shaped EQ, it's not bad, it's well thought, but not for me.

Coincidently, in my last gig i had a friend that went with us and helped us with our sound. We were using the house PA (JBL 2x15 tops and 1x18 sub on each side, both active). He had a device with him to read SPL and freq response, at 1m the PA read 80dB and my S12T went up to 100dB, with the same line played, no tricks. Freq curve in my cab wasn't very far from flat also. ;)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1476358278' post='3153578']
I know all that theory and tried different cabs from various brands. I settled with what i have because is the best gear i've found that will reproduce the sound comming out of my bass as faithfull as possible without EQing. The mids aren't bumped in my cab, they're present and i like it. Most bass cabs have a mid-cut voicing because that goes in favour of a big percentage of bassplayers that use a V-shaped EQ, it's not bad, it's well thought, but not for me.

Coincidently, in my last gig i had a friend that went with us and helped us with our sound. We were using the house PA (JBL 2x15 tops and 1x18 sub on each side, both active). He had a device with him to read SPL and freq response, at 1m the PA read 80dB and my S12T went up to 100dB, with the same line played, no tricks. Freq curve in my cab wasn't very far from flat also. ;)
[/quote]
Glad that you have found gear that you like. That's half the battle.

If you know all the theory, you'll also know why your friend's measurements are also inconclusive. ;)

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1476358763' post='3153588']
Glad that you have found gear that you like. That's half the battle.

If you know all the theory, you'll also know why your friend's measurements are also inconclusive. ;)
[/quote]

Yep, i know but inside the same room with the same bass line being played through the backline and PA with the PA volume already fit to drums (everything also on PA) and the backline volume fit to the drum onstage it's a bit of a fair comparison, even though i could never replicate optimal conditions or have a sine wave at hand to use. Like i said, the colour of many bass cabs are fit for the majority os bassplayers, it's not a flaw. For us weirdos that like unusual bass sound we have to work harder to find our gear, but thankfully there's plenty out there, not just BF :)

In case you have facebook here's a video of that gig: https://www.facebook.com/victormmsousa/videos/10153856560331806/ we were a bit loud that night.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1476359510' post='3153600']
Yep, i know but inside the same room with the same bass line being played through the backline and PA with the PA volume already fit to drums (everything also on PA) and the backline volume fit to the drum onstage it's a bit of a fair comparison...
[/quote]

But it's not.

I do this sort of music all the time. Its my main gigging band so its most weekends. Until you try it i cant say if its going to be the best thing for you but personally I use EBS stuff. An EBS 350 head and use a combination of EBS neo 1 x12 and 2x10 cabs depending on the venue. With a Jazz bass.

9/10 I'm happy. When I'm not its the room that's causing the problem.