Why become a member? ×

Hercules stand gone sticky!

xgsjx

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1476433364' post='3154179']
Mine's gone sticky but it's the only one I have and used every gig, can't really do without it at the moment so can't send it back for replacement until theres a break in gigs, maybe December. Its only the bit you briefly touch to lower and raise the centre shaft, it doesnt come in to contact with any instruments. The foam bits that touch the body and the headstock grabbers are all fine so far.
[/quote]

That's the only bit that has gone sticky on any of mine, but it was disgusting and I needed to wash my hands every time after handling, so it really wasn't suitable for gigging use. You don't need to send your old one back (I didn't have to return any of the 4 I had with the sticky grip). Simply photograph the sticky part showing that it is sticky and get in touch with S&T and they should send you a brand new one.

In in case anyone is wondering what we are on about here are two photos of one of my stands showing the affected part:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Stand%204.1_zps9hiwurds.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Stand%204.2_zpsmfavnv2b.jpg[/IMG]

My grabber is actually fine too. It's the same part as BRX's pics show & also the knob for adjusting the legs.
I think the stickiness that I thought I had on the grab had come from my hand after touching the clamp, there's no stickiness on the grab.

This second thread was a good reminder to blast an email to Strings & Things about my own stickiness problem - awesome customer service, mailed them a couple of pics and they're posting me a replacement free of charge.

Looks like they don't require the originals returned either, so no problem if you need to keep using it.

Mine's is about 4-5 years old.
I gave it a wipe down with some ethanol & it's no longer sticky (well at least not for now, but I'll keep you updated), but the plastic at one side which holds the pin in the handle has crumbled a bit.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1476651045' post='3156048']
I've checked all of mine and they are all fine. How long have you guys had the ones that have gone sticky. Just wondering how long I've got :)
[/quote]

Bought mine around june/july this year so if you have one with the changed formulation for the rubber it won't take long to notice. I've probably accelerated mine by leaving it in the car between gigs, the rubber bits have started picking up bits of crap off the car carpet now. Took some pics yesterday so when i get chance I will email the distributer. The fact they seem so willing to replace makes you think they realise they have a genuine problem batch or batches.

Got my replacement today - excellent!

So having got a nice new one, I felt I could have a go at seeing if it's possible to clean up the old one. It appears that what's happened is a soft coating on top of rigid plastic is what's gone sticky. Using acetone, I was able to remove the sticky stuff without causing damage to the hard plastic underneath.

I didn't have time to do the entire thing but I've successfully cleaned the smooth part opposite the lever. I think it'll be quite time-consuming and tricky to get all of it off cleanly and I think I'll try scraping as much off as I can first before hitting it with industrial-strength solvent again.

• 2 years later...

I have a solution to the problem as I have two that has gone the same way! isopropyl alcohol and some kitchen towel and a little bit of elbow grease will cure this, I have found this on many items over the years and it's very unpleasant.

What they have done is coated the handle with something that is supposed to help you grip it, but over time it breaks down into this sort or goo! isopropyl alcohol on some kitchen towel will take off this coating making it much more pleasant to use, I wrote to Hercules to and got no answer and no solution! maybe they are just as pee'd off with it as the rest of us and turning a blind eye!

2 minutes ago, andrea mason said:

I have a solution to the problem as I have two that has gone the same way! isopropyl alcohol and some kitchen towel and a little bit of elbow grease will cure this, I have found this on many items over the years and it's very unpleasant.

What they have done is coated the handle with something that is supposed to help you grip it, but over time it breaks down into this sort or goo! isopropyl alcohol on some kitchen towel will take off this coating making it much more pleasant to use, I wrote to Hercules to and got no answer and no solution! maybe they are just as pee'd off with it as the rest of us and turning a blind eye!

But it's better and easier to get replacements from Hercules.

On October 12, 2016 at 04:29, leschirons said:

I've got a Hercules grab stand (I'm thinking the title may give that part & the next away), it's sat for a bit in a folded up state in the spare room.
Now all the black plastic bits are sticky, like they've been sprayed with spray glue. It leaves sticky residue on my hand when I touch it too.

Any ideas?

Nope. Same problem with mine. Even tried wiping it with olive oil to remove the stickyness. Also tried wife's nail varnish remover / WD40 / petrol / and Cillit bang. Last resort will be talcum powder. I'll let you know if it works so we don't both mess the house up.

Same here. Couldn't fix it; even tried wrapping the bits with tape. Finally just ditched the stand after writing to Hercules and getting no response.

On October 12, 2016 at 21:05, timmo said:

Has anyone tried Ultimate stands.?

Yes. I had one. I kept my bass permanantely in it. I went into the room to fing my bass on the floor. The yoke had snapped clean off for no apparent reason. I may just have had a dodgy one though.

I use On Stage stands, never had a problem. Solidly made, not expensive.

1 hour ago, barkin said:

That's fine if they'll play ball. When I contacted them about my sticky stand they weren't even slightly interested...

That's strange. AFAIK everyone else on here who got in touch with them was sorted out with replacement stands for their sticky ones. Who did you contact?

I missed this originally, the thread started 2 years ago so there is a chance that the replacement program has finished, I used isopropyl alcohol to clean both of mine up, I wish I'd seen this 2 years ago as it looks like I would have got a couple of extra stands!