Why become a member? ×

Hercules stand gone sticky!

xgsjx

I recently e-mailed them and got the reply that as the stands are over a year old they are outside of warranty but they would give me 50% off new ones as a gesture of goodwill. I did reply no thanks as they aren't cheap and I wouldn't want another one to go the same way. I'll look to see what other stands there are out there.

• Like 1

On 23/11/2018 at 15:47, Nicko said:

I had the same on my Roberts kitchen radio.  I'm fully culpable as I cleaned it with Dettol multi surface cleaner and its attacked the plastic.

It may not be your fault.  We have had the same problem on one or two electrical items that have a plastic covering. I know of several digital radio owners who have had "sticky issues" on their receivers.  I have also had a couple of pen drives and a small MP3 player show the same problem.  I think it is to do with the quality of plastic type covering they use.  We also had the mic stand issue but got rid of the stand in a bit of a clear out.

On 12/10/2016 at 09:31, scrumpymike said:

Yep, there's history behind this! The manufacturer has to date replaced a bunch of them FOC - mine included. Not sure whether that generous offer has timed out now but it would certainly be worth giving them a try. Just fyi, when I contacted them I didn't let on that I knew about the history of FOC replacements as I didn't want to back them into a corner - just told them that I have 4 of their stands and expressed my disappointment with an otherwise quality product. To be honest, I would have been happy if they'd just given me a discount off my next purchase.

It happened to too godammit, and I just binned and bought another one. 

On 23/11/2018 at 12:42, andrea mason said:

I have a solution to the problem as I have two that has gone the same way! isopropyl alcohol and some kitchen towel and a little bit of elbow grease will cure this, I have found this on many items over the years and it's very unpleasant.

On 23/11/2018 at 15:47, Nicko said:

I had the same on my Roberts kitchen radio.  I'm fully culpable as I cleaned it with Dettol multi surface cleaner and its attacked the plastic.

A big thanks to both of you.  I don’t have a sticky Hercules stand, but I do have a Roberts radio in the kitchen with sticky knobs (ooh err...).   I’ve cleaned them now with isopropyl alcohol and it’s as good as new!

Well good news here

contacted Hercules and as stated above just offered me 50% discount, which i feel is pretty good for the age of mine - they have been great till recently. So just ordered two for 40 quid

you may be able to sort sticky handles but when the grip handle lets go that is an expensive bass on the floor, so just watch out the plastic is not about to give way. 

On 05/12/2018 at 20:22, deepbass5 said:

Well good news here

contacted Hercules and as stated above just offered me 50% discount, which i feel is pretty good for the age of mine - they have been great till recently. 

Same here. Very pleased that they offered 50% off. Just ordered my new one.  

• 1 month later...

This just happened to mine. Luckily it was not supporting an instrument at the time - I was just folding it up. You can see how sticky it was by the strands of cloth stuck to it.

Not sure I'd want to risk another one even with a discount, although tbf I have had it a few years......IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.626b9512acc29bf8c95cedb469a97a18.JPGIMG_0021.thumb.JPG.0000be638e570f2218dfc68f52943b5f.JPG

Edited by andyonbass
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, andyonbass said:

This just happened to mine. Luckily it was not supporting an instrument at the time - I was just folding it up. You can see how sticky it was by the strands of cloth stuck to it.

Not sure I'd want to risk another one even with a discount, although tbf I have had it a few years......IMG_0024.thumb.JPG.626b9512acc29bf8c95cedb469a97a18.JPGIMG_0021.thumb.JPG.0000be638e570f2218dfc68f52943b5f.JPG

That happened to one of mine, according to Hercules it was a dodgy batch and they replaced mine free of charge. Withnthe way they work there is only stress on that when you are pressing the lever and the weight of the bass would act on the pin if it did go randomly so I doubt there would be much chance at all of it catastrophically failing and I have never heard of one doing. I replaced the mechanism on my duff one with a bolt after drilling through. It doesn’t fold down now but won’t be going anywhere either.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, T-Bay said:

That happened to one of mine, according to Hercules it was a dodgy batch and they replaced mine free of charge. With the way they work there is only stress on that when you are pressing the lever and the weight of the bass would act on the pin if it did go randomly so I doubt there would be much chance at all of it catastrophically failing and I have never heard of one doing. I replaced the mechanism on my duff one with a bolt after drilling through. It doesn’t fold down now but won’t be going anywhere either.

Virtually word for word what I did...I actually donated my replacement to the Herts Bash raffle - can't remember who won it - just hope they didn't have any issues with it. JOOI, are the replacements free of sticky-ness??

• Thanks 1

I've got three of the single stands around 4 years ago. On two of them the height adjustment mechanism and the tripod locking knob are made of hard plastic with no stickiness at all. On the other stand these parts have a rubberized finish which does feel higher quality (like the soft touch plastics in some car interiors versus the hard plastics of cheaper ones) and hasn't gone sticky yet. I assume that only a small proportion of the soft touch version were affected by the chemical decomposition and the hard plastic was the solution.

I also remember seeing posts about the foam supports on some stands (not sure if Hercules) reacting and damaging the body finish on basses. I believe some plastics and rubber type products leach out their plasticisers so any long term contact with instruments needs to be monitored.

20 hours ago, andyonbass said:

This happened to one of mine about two years ago, I enquired over a replacement part but they sent me a new stand.

Not being one who likes waste I set to repair it by making a U shaped bracket using a thin metal strip ( it was the strap from an electrical earth clip I had knocking around) and araldited it in. I have been using it since, new one is still in the box.

Hercules.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

This happened to one of mine about two years ago, I enquired over a replacement part but they sent me a new stand.

Not being one who likes waste I set to repair it by making a U shaped bracket using a thin metal strip ( it was the strap from an electrical earth clip I had knocking around) and araldited it in. I have been using it since, new one is still in the box.

Ingenius solution! 

I have sent an email to their customer support via their website contact form. There is no means of attaching a photo but will await a response. The locking mechanism housing on the current model has a different appearance so I have asked them to assure me it is an improved design before I purchase another.....😉

On 25/01/2019 at 15:13, T-Bay said:

That happened to one of mine, according to Hercules it was a dodgy batch and they replaced mine free of charge. Withnthe way they work there is only stress on that when you are pressing the lever and the weight of the bass would act on the pin if it did go randomly so I doubt there would be much chance at all of it catastrophically failing and I have never heard of one doing. I replaced the mechanism on my duff one with a bolt after drilling through. It doesn’t fold down now but won’t be going anywhere either.

Mine failed under its own weight, without a bass on it.

On 12/10/2016 at 03:38, vmaxblues said:

I have had the same issue, I got it all off with a product called....wait for it.....'sticky stuff remover' yes honestly, and it solved it, most odd though.

On ebay and Lakeland stock it.

I have two, great stands. The tripod release is tight but no big deal.

Blue