Why become a member? ×

Hercules stand gone sticky!

xgsjx

I've got a Hercules grab stand (I'm thinking the title may give that part & the next away), it's sat for a bit in a folded up state in the spare room.
Now all the black plastic bits are sticky, like they've been sprayed with spray glue. It leaves sticky residue on my hand when I touch it too.

Any ideas?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1476258016' post='3152677']
I've got a Hercules grab stand (I'm thinking the title may give that part & the next away), it's sat for a bit in a folded up state in the spare room.
Now all the black plastic bits are sticky, like they've been sprayed with spray glue. It leaves sticky residue on my hand when I touch it too.

Any ideas?
[/quote]

Nope. Same problem with mine. Even tried wiping it with olive oil to remove the stickyness. Also tried wife's nail varnish remover / WD40 / petrol / and Cillit bang. Last resort will be talcum powder. I'll let you know if it works so we don't both mess the house up.

Yep, there's history behind this! The manufacturer has to date replaced a bunch of them FOC - mine included. Not sure whether that generous offer has timed out now but it would certainly be worth giving them a try. Just fyi, when I contacted them I didn't let on that I knew about the history of FOC replacements as I didn't want to back them into a corner - just told them that I have 4 of their stands and expressed my disappointment with an otherwise quality product. To be honest, I would have been happy if they'd just given me a discount off my next purchase.

I've just contacted Hercules via their website, so I'll see if they can help.
Having a wee google, apparently rubbing alcohol could be a contender for getting rid of it, but there is the chance it could also make things worse. I have ethanol in the pantry (used to use it on cake decoration), so if Hercules can't help, I'll give it a blast & let you know what it does.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1476272128' post='3152858']
How odd. I have three of them and haven't noticed any issues.

Is this a problem that develops over time or are they sticky from the outset?
[/quote]

It's just the bit that's all rubber where you adjust the height. Great when I first got it then it just sort of appeared. It had never been cleaned with anything suspect, not even wiped with a damp cloth so no idea what's happening chemically. I guess it was coated with something that breaks down.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1476263125' post='3152723']
I've just contacted Hercules via their website, so I'll see if they can help.
Having a wee google, apparently rubbing alcohol could be a contender for getting rid of it, but there is the chance it could also make things worse. I have ethanol in the pantry (used to use it on cake decoration), so if Hercules can't help, I'll give it a blast & let you know what it does.
[/quote]

Lynx Deodorant will do the same thing. Give it a shot. I clear all my sticky situations with it.

Mine isn't just the adjustment clamp, it's the grab clamp and the adjustment knob too. Basically every thing that is black plastic.

Strings and Things have emailed me & asked me to send a couple of pics & the model number. I'll get them that when I get home from work (which'll be about 3:30).
It was a good speedy response to start with. Even if they have a tested solution to getting rid of the stickiness, that would be fine.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1476288406' post='3153081']
Has anyone tried Ultimate stands.?
[/quote] Yes. I had one. I kept my bass permanantely in it. I went into the room to fing my bass on the floor. The yoke had snapped clean off for no apparent reason. I may just have had a dodgy one though.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1476354393' post='3153521']
So, what's the general consensus about a cure for the stickiness?
:)
[/quote]

Get in touch with Strings And Things who are the distributor for Hercules in the UK, send them some photos of the affected stand and they will send you a brand new replacement free of charge.

Just in case anyone hasn't read through the other thread which I started, I have 6 Hercules stands bought at various times over the past 7 years, and 4 of them developed the sticky grip some time during the course of this year. To me it looks as though the plastic used for the grip has started to break down. The two that haven't developed the sticky grip show no signs of doing so, so I wonder if the formulation of the plastic has been changed at some point?

Anyway after getting in touch with Strings and Things and sending them photos of the affected stands showing the sticky areas on the grips I received a large box with 4 brand new stands completely free of charge. That is excellent customer service in my book. Well done to Strings and Things!

Which stand are people having the problem with? I've got 4 of them at home which I've not used for months, all with guitars sat in them... hope none of them have gone funny without my knowing so.
Mine are the standard, single auto grab ones.

Edited by M@23

I had the same issue, contacted S&T and they replaced the stand without any trouble. I think that they produced a batch of stands using a defective batch of chemicals which went off over time and they're keen to make good on these.

As stated above, no issues about providing a replacement stand.

Mine's gone sticky but it's the only one I have and used every gig, can't really do without it at the moment so can't send it back for replacement until theres a break in gigs, maybe December. Its only the bit you briefly touch to lower and raise the centre shaft, it doesnt come in to contact with any instruments. The foam bits that touch the body and the headstock grabbers are all fine so far.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1476433364' post='3154179']
Mine's gone sticky but it's the only one I have and used every gig, can't really do without it at the moment so can't send it back for replacement until theres a break in gigs, maybe December. Its only the bit you briefly touch to lower and raise the centre shaft, it doesnt come in to contact with any instruments. The foam bits that touch the body and the headstock grabbers are all fine so far.
[/quote]

As far as I know, they don't ask for the faulty stand to be returned - certainly didn't with mine. Mind you, I did send a couple of pic's.