Why become a member? ×

So... Wal, eh?

mcnach

On Saturday I was playing with Urang Matang, a ska band I'm depping in while their bass player gets better (healthwise, not playing... I suspect he's already much better than I am ;)) in Dundee. I thought we were the only band playing, so we arrived at 6ish and start setting up.

Then I find there's two other bands before us and the sax player comes to me "I've been asked if you'd be ok to let the others use your amp, I said no". I love the guy, he is like me of the "if you're playing, bring your stuff" school. Yes, we do end up sharing sometimes but it should never be assumed. Anyway... I leave it at that. There's plenty of room onstage, so I just put my bass away and leave room.

One band arrives. Bass player, Ralph, I think, approaches me. He's oddly familiar, I can't put my finger on it. The band is Joe Viterbo... I'm pretty sure I've seen them before. But that's not it. He says he's got his big Trace Elliot combo in the van, he can bring it or maybe he can use mine if I'm ok with it... we chat a bit, he also does sound in a bunch of venues, and I think that's where I know him from although he doesn't seem to remember me... Anyway, totally cool guy, he seems he knows what he's doing so I just tell him the speakers I'm using are not the most powerful, so go easy on volume/low end (we are going through PA anyway so it's just for stage) and he understands.
They were the second band to play and they only played for about 30 minutes... but they were sweet, in a very energetic punk kind of way.

The first band, Buffalo Soldiers, take their time to arrive. Just when we thing they're a no-show, they appear. Three africans and a scottish guitarist... they looked great and played even better. Mostly Bob Marley covers, but with their own twist. Guitarist played a bit too 'rocky' for my liking and never managed to have a fully clean sound, but it sounded alright. Singer also strummed an acoustic guitar. The drummer was a monster. He was small but chunky, wore sunglasses all the time and a hat that looked like it had just fallen halfway onto his face and got stuck there... he didn't smile... he seemed to be the leader, a little bossy... in fact he reminded me of James Brown in many ways... but he was on fire. It didn't look like he was playing anything extraordinary, it wasn't flashy but when you paid attention... he was just amazing at playing busy yet it fitted so well it just didn't seem like he was trying hard... His voice was great too. But for me the highlight was the bass player. I was standing outside and I saw them being shown the stage and bass player talking to the soundguy... so I decided to approach him. He was older and seemed like a very cool guy, so I just told him the same... he was very nice and gracious about not having to bring his amp and he pretty much left the amp controls like I had them, as did the next guy.

But I started writing this about his bass... he opened his case to reveal a Wal of some description. It was a beauty. Satin finish... could me mahogany?... simple grain, nothing ostentacious but very very pretty. Right handed, but lefty bass player strung it as a left-hander. And then he played... he was AMAZING. The reggae lines he was playing were just beautiful and that bass sounded mighty... fat, thick, very well defined yet deep... he played lots of cool fills yet, like the drummer, managed to make if 'feel' simple... I enjoyed watching him play a lot.

The only trouble is I now find myself looking at Wals... They're so ugly they're beautiful. Like a Bison. Powerful beast.

It look much like this one:

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1476110022' post='3151379']
Suggest you visit the S.E.BB blog to see a whole room of the blighters....!
[/quote]

After checking out their price tags... I think the farther I am from further Wal contact, the better :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476111002' post='3151390']

After checking out their price tags... I think the farther I am from further Wal contact, the better :lol:
[/quote]

Whatever you do don't play one - if you like Stingrays you'll be hooked........

I'm waiting till they can increase their profit from the favourable export rate to the US, and recycle funds into lowering the price for us UK guys, post Brexit 😏 Lol - strolls into the distance to the strains of Rule Brittania!!!

Seriously though, they're awesome and I badly want one!!

I love 'coffee table' basses but there's just something about the shape of them that puts me off. I've never seen or heard one in the flesh so that might change my opinion, in much the same way as playing a Rickenbacker did. I eagerly await that happening :)

Although, looking at the website the Mk3s with the longer upper horn are much more appealing! Especially with a lovely light wood on the top.

Edited by Myke

I like the Mark 1 shape, but then I would, wouldn't I? That bass is faced in Padauk, one of the standard Wal wood options. Mahogany core is the meat in the sandwich with a thin maple veneer acting as the butter.

Lots of photos of the bass bash Wals here... https://www.facebook.com/trevorraggatt/media_set?set=a.10154317149360860.1073741848.705595859&type=3

This is the newer Mark 3 model...

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1476124235' post='3151571']
Whatever you do don't play one - if you like Stingrays you'll be hooked........

I'm waiting till they can increase their profit from the favourable export rate to the US, and recycle funds into lowering the price for us UK guys, post Brexit 😏 Lol - strolls into the distance to the strains of Rule Brittania!!!

Seriously though, they're awesome and I badly want one!!
[/quote]

If I could keep only one bass it'd be my Stingray.

No, the Wal is out of the range of cash I could justify spending on an instrument at the moment, so I don't want to even try one, just in case. As there are ways to get the cash but I don't want to get there :ph34r:
:lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1476139035' post='3151767']
I think the posting of Wal based threads should be banned :).
[/quote]

I think I'm with you on this one...
I keep getting flashbacks to Saturday's gig... I'm so happy he was a lefty, as otherwise I'd have tried that bass, and I might now be out there selling my body to get the funds :lol:

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1476138055' post='3151761']
Oh and how about this one?

[/quote]

I think I need to go have a cold shower followed by a quiet lay down in a dark room!
Fortunately I just can't afford one which makes resisting temptation easier.

Never looked back since i first tried one... Different basses work for different players and no one builder is going to create something which is all things to all people but for me, they are the ultimate... regardless of your take on the aesthetics, the magic is in those pickups :)

A year down and a year to go on the build of a fretless sister bass to my ziricote sixer.

My basses are the MK3 shape and it is smaller, lighter and more ergonomically shaped to my eyes, but for a four string I prefer the look of the MK1...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1476143019' post='3151792']

I think I'm with you on this one...
I keep getting flashbacks to Saturday's gig... I'm so happy he was a lefty, as otherwise I'd have tried that bass, and I might now be out there selling my body to get the funds :lol:
[/quote]

I've never actually played one. The guy who owned my Roscoe had a 6 string version that looked immensely beautiful.

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1476180307' post='3151958']
I ordered my MK I in Feb....12 months to go.....not that I'm counting....
[/quote]
I'm some way down the que on you guys.
Going to get even more excited when you guys (hopefully) post up pics of your new basses.