Why become a member? ×

How many BassChatters have never ever gigged?

thebrig

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1476429240' post='3154136']

Depends on how you view "ability"on bass as well. In most music genres (certainly the ones I have ever played) it's not about how many notes or how fast you play. To me, one of the most important measures of a bass player's ability is how well they keep time and lay down solid foundations for the more "glamorous" members of the band.

If a song is dull, or has an undemanding bassline - I always try my best to play it as solid as possible. Usually a song is in the set for a reason, and as long as the audience enjoy it (and it broadly fits the style of the band) then it has a value. You might even grow to enjoy it if it goes down well!

A good example of this is in one of my old pub R'n'B bands we used to plat Woolly Bully... always went down an absolute storm :)

Back OT - I feel that gigging is PART of being in a band. Not the only part though. Generally, I tend to enjoy a good rehearsal more than a mediocre gig. The feeling of the band coming together and sounding good (even in our own opinions!) is great. A gig with poor sound in an empty room is just a waste of everybody's time IMO. And we do quite a few of them at the moment - the bane of the relatively new original band :unsure:
[/quote]

Agreed, if your dealing with a song you don't necessarily connect with, change the bass line to something that's fun for you to play.

Always works for me.

Blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476452185' post='3154456']
I'm always slightly suspicious of musicians who say they can't find a suitable band or other musicians for them to play with. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere it should be fairly straight forward?

Certainly from my perspective, as a bassist of below average ability, who has very strict rules about what types of music I want to play and who lives in a place that while being a decent size has never really had a serious music scene of the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc. I have never had a problem finding bands or other musicians who want to play music that I like to standard worth bothering with and then get out and gig.
[/quote]

Some of it depends how known or how connected you are.

Milwaukee is a decent size and really has a good music scene. However if your only resource is the classified ads or Milwaukee Rocks, you'd be hard pressed to find anything more than new starts ups or skaky originals bands.

Blue

I haven't gigged since I was 18 and sold my bass to fund a trip abroad (foolishly thinking I would by another on my return). I got back into playing bass again a few years ago after a 36 year break, but haven't gigged since. I jam with a guitarist friend and we did try to set up a band, but got through drummers too quickly to make a go of it. I blame the guitarist.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1476452185' post='3154456']
I'm always slightly suspicious of musicians who say they can't find a suitable band or other musicians for them to play with. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere it should be fairly straight forward?

Certainly from my perspective, as a bassist of below average ability, who has very strict rules about what types of music I want to play and who lives in a place that while being a decent size has never really had a serious music scene of the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham, Glasgow, Edinburgh etc. I have never had a problem finding bands or other musicians who want to play music that I like to standard worth bothering with and then get out and gig.
[/quote]

I had difficulty finding a band locally... As I only play a couple of times a year with the Weeds (we're spread widely - Languedoc to West of Ireland!) I've been trying to find locals to play funky, rockin', jazzy out-there grooves but can only find folkies or older chaps wanting to do 70s pub rock, both of which would cause me to go postal...
I finally found some local jazzy funkers - they want to do standards mainly but are quite happy for these to at least[i] become [/i]unrecognisable - but the guitarist is out of action for 6 months due to hospitalisation!
Having a similar population density to Shetland (I'm near the Welsh Border in South Shropshire) means there's not many people around, and those that are musically inclined seem to have been drawn here by the likes of June Tabor who lives just down the road, and the Small Faces farm a few miles north!
So I often have to play with myself at home... Who needs a guitar when you've got a bass whammy!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1476604003' post='3155466']
I had difficulty finding a band locally... As I only play a couple of times a year with the Weeds (we're spread widely - Languedoc to West of Ireland!) I've been trying to find locals to play funky, rockin', jazzy out-there grooves but can only find folkies or older chaps wanting to do 70s pub rock, both of which would cause me to go postal...
I finally found some local jazzy funkers - they want to do standards mainly but are quite happy for these to at least[i] become [/i]unrecognisable - but the guitarist is out of action for 6 months due to hospitalisation!
Having a similar population density to Shetland (I'm near the Welsh Border in South Shropshire) means there's not many people around, and those that are musically inclined seem to have been drawn here by the likes of June Tabor who lives just down the road, and the Small Faces farm a few miles north!
So I often have to play with myself at home... Who needs a guitar when you've got a bass whammy!
[/quote]I'm not a million miles away from you having moved up from Hertfordshire to Bridgnorth a couple of years ago, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of musicians not only in Bridgnorth itself, but also the surrounding areas, admittedly, it took about eighteen months to find the right people, but I think that is always the case wherever you live.

For a small town of just 12,000 people, Bridgnorth is a great place for live music with plenty of pubs having live acts on most Fridays and Saturdays, and you do get a few folk evenings and acoustic acts on during the week as well.

I will be 65 next month, I just wish I had moved here years ago. :mellow:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476609215' post='3155521']

For a small town of just 12,000 people, Bridgnorth is a great place for live music with plenty of pubs having live acts on most Fridays and Saturdays, and you do get a few folk evenings and acoustic acts on during the week as well.

[/quote]

Compared to Clun, Bridgenorth is Bright Lights Big City! :D Though there is often a bluesy sort of band on a Friday eve in the pub, and I once booked Wilko Johnson to play at our village hall!
But otherwise, I've been near "The quietest place on Earth" for 14 years now, and it seems like many just come here to die...
If I wasn't so lazy I'd spend more time in Bishops Castle, which even has an Alternative Electronica Festival; no doubt there'd be more like-minded folks there.
Still, I'm moving very soon closer to the thriving metropolis of Knighton where there's at least a decent guitar shop - so long as they're not all Clapton-a-likes I'll be OK!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1476612256' post='3155570']
Compared to Clun, Bridgenorth is Bright Lights Big City! :D Though there is often a bluesy sort of band on a Friday eve in the pub, and I once booked Wilko Johnson to play at our village hall!
But otherwise, I've been near "The quietest place on Earth" for 14 years now, and it seems like many just come here to die...
If I wasn't so lazy I'd spend more time in Bishops Castle, which even has an Alternative Electronica Festival; no doubt there'd be more like-minded folks there.
Still, I'm moving very soon closer to the thriving metropolis of Knighton where there's at least a decent guitar shop - so long as they're not all Clapton-a-likes I'll be OK!
[/quote]Been to Clun a few times on CAMRA beer trips, lovely place with some nice pubs, but I have to agree that it does seem to be cut off from the rest of the world somewhat. :(
I've done Bishops Castle a few times as well which also has some decent boozers! :drinks:

I'm surprised SO many people here seem to be in bands. If you asked the same question on a guitar forum I bet it would be much much less :)

I've done a couple of gigs with an originals band I put together for a short period, and I use some of my own bass playing in my commercial work, but mostly I like fiddling around on it and learning a few things to try and get better for no real purpose. I'm not averse to a bit of air-bass either, especially when I've been at the air-wine,

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1476701184' post='3156344']
I'm surprised SO many people here seem to be in bands. If you asked the same question on a guitar forum I bet it would be much much less :)

I've done a couple of gigs with an originals band I put together for a short period, and I use some of my own bass playing in my commercial work, but mostly I like fiddling around on it and learning a few things to try and get better for no real purpose. I'm not averse to a bit of air-bass either, especially when I've been at the air-wine,
[/quote]

Good drummers and good bass players are in short supply.

There are thousands of fairly average guitarists.

And it's fairly easy to play a tune and sing on a guitar and produce something worthwhile.

Solo bass isn't so appealing.

Edited by TimR

messed about with a few guys at college when I had my first Kay bass....I was shocking...but it didn't matter as there was so much complaining and faffing about that we never get to play much music. We fell apart after a short while and I just played occasionally at home.

A decade later I practiced with a local group of guys again at Uni...we could play ok..just pub band blues and early 90's cockrock, but there was too much friction with the other guys bitching about tuning/gear/who's wrong/being late/commitment/etc... I left.

Ironically I'm probably a better bassist now than I ever have been but I have no intention of playing with a band. I just jam along to stuff at home. I just do it for pleasure. Same with guitar.
Jas

• 1 year later...

Life sometimes conspires against you...A dad at 18, bills, life, children, mortgage, more children, business, grandchildren... suddenly I'm 57 (this year)!!

A poor poor bass player, painfully trying to copy riffs, stunted tab following ability and deep guilt for not understanding scales, triads, or even keys etc. etc..

However, I get pleasure from playing bass because I can shut myself away & stop thinking about all the other crap, and because whenever I listen to music, bass is what I hear.

Sure it'd be nice to play with other people, but I'm not good enough to be in a band, and it's difficult to find somebody local to try and jam with unfortunately. Meantime, I carry on as I am, and lets face it, a bass is a work of art in itself (so I admit that sometimes I just roll a fag and sit back looking lovingly at my collection hanging on the wall in my mancave).

Man, he plans... God, he laughs!

[quote name='r0ger9' timestamp='1509023888' post='3396108']
Life sometimes conspires against you...A dad at 18, bills, life, children, mortgage, more children, business, grandchildren... suddenly I'm 57 (this year)!!

A poor poor bass player, painfully trying to copy riffs, stunted tab following ability and deep guilt for not understanding scales, triads, or even keys etc. etc..

However, I get pleasure from playing bass because I can shut myself away & stop thinking about all the other crap, and because whenever I listen to music, bass is what I hear.

Sure it'd be nice to play with other people, but I'm not good enough to be in a band, and it's difficult to find somebody local to try and jam with unfortunately. Meantime, I carry on as I am, and lets face it, a bass is a work of art in itself (so I admit that sometimes I just roll a fag and sit back looking lovingly at my collection hanging on the wall in my mancave).

Man, he plans... God, he laughs!
[/quote]

I feel that a few words of encouragement are required...

My favourite band of all time (from the perspective of being in the band, not necessarily the music we made) was me and a (drummer) mate who have been in bands and playing live since we were teenagers and two blokes who are a decade or more older than us (so would have been mid-late 40's when the band started) who had never been in a band before on vocals and bass (I played guitar). the bass player was, let's say, more enthusiastic than talented, but fortunately we were playing old school punk and enthusiasm counts for a lot. they both worked with the drummer, and it all came about from a chat at work along the lines of "well, I've always fancied doing it but I've never been in a band before" and originally included a guitarist who'd never played in a band before either - I replaced him when his job took him away. We were together for seven or eight years before life got in the way and the band drifted apart, but we played a load of very well received gigs, I made a couple of excellent mates who I still see, and the bass player is now in at least two other bands.

Even if you never get that far, I'd suggest getting together with other musicians if you can - you don't have to call it a band, maybe just a bit of a jam with a guitarist if you know one, just for fun. You may be amazed at how your playing improves (mine certainly owes as much to playing with other people as it does practicing technique at home alone). You never know, you might like it...

Thanks guys for the words and encouragement & I apologise if I sounded a little mawkish or sorry for myself - I really am quite happy doing it the way I do - But yeah! I would love to play with another as it'll stop me from 'stopping' whenever I feel like it & I'm convinced that it will hugely improve my rhythm, timing and groove.
Thanks again, I've just joined and have to say that there is lot of good members on here, appreciated.

I have to say that it saddens me to read about those of you who think you "arent good enough for a band".

We all started out being crap players and struggling to learn the ropes.

Start doing some auditions & sooner or later you will find a band to play in - in the meantime, practicing for auditions will also hone your chops a bit, especially if you play ALL THE WAY THROUGH the tunes you are going to play at the audition.
In my experience, from teaching, that is the one thing that gives newer players the most trouble.
They have spent ages "learning" tunes but never sat down and played them all the way through, which means they don't have any stamina when it comes time to do two or three tunes at an audition.

Worth considering.

I started playing almost exactly a year ago, my first gig was last Christmas time. I was lucky to fall in with a few guys at work who are experienced and we work out set lists to suit all of us. My playing at the December gig wasn't terrible but was far from amazing but I only got positive feedback. It's a brilliant way to learn more and I know I wouldn't be half as far down the road as I am now as it gives an incentive to really push yourself.

The advice above is very good, from the start I concentrated on playing songs all the way through. Something like she sells sanctuary by the cult seems almost boringly simple but was a real ball breaker at first due to the speed and length of it, after a couple of weeks I could play it in my sleep and another three or four quick ones back to back with it.

Just go for it, if people don't like what you are doing, who cares, move on and you find someone you fit in with.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1476028910' post='3150571']
I haven't gigged for 6-7 years now, since the band i was in then imploded.
Just havnt really found another band since then. I've jammed with a few people but nothing's really kicked off, so i'm mostly a bedroom worrior now.
[/quote]
this is where i am, only mine is only a 3 year break thus far.
that said, i don't even play at home anymore. my only reason for playing is to gig, so if i'm not doing it then i don't bother playing.