Why become a member? ×

Anybody here bought this? John Birch 8-string doer-upper!!!

tony_m

[size=4][font=Arial][color=#000000]"This John Birch guitar was rescued from junk whilst clearing a shed. It comes without provenance beyond that and is untested.[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#000000][font=Tinos][size=1][size=4][font=Arial]It appears to be a bass guitar, having 4 strings; although there are 8 machine heads present. Maybe that is 4 spares?"[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Tinos][size=1][size=4][font=Arial]It's certainly different... :blink:[/font][/size][/size][/font][/color]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Birch-Electric-Guitar-for-Restoration-/311708549113?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=XB6pO7HPCi5QToyue3FUbp26Zh0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.co.u...cvip=true&rt=nc[/url]

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1476010816' post='3150374']
I don't like the look of that crack in the back of the neck. Is that just the lacquer, I hope?
[/quote]

There is lacquer peeling from the rear of the headstock, so I'm guessing yes.

I bought it - I may be daft but I love vintage UK gear and have not seen a RB shaped JB 8 string before. I like the idea of rescuing an old bass so I took the gamble. Fortunately there are no cracks or structural damage. The frets need cleaning of course but the trussrod looks ok and the short scale neck is pretty straight too. I can get it refinished and get John Carling of John Birch to look at the electrics. That's the plan anyway ;)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1476728011' post='3156746']
I bought it - I may be daft but I love vintage UK gear and have not seen a RB shaped JB 8 string before. I like the idea of rescuing an old bass so I took the gamble. Fortunately there are no cracks or structural damage. The frets need cleaning of course but the trussrod looks ok and the short scale neck is pretty straight too. I can get it refinished and get John Carling of John Birch to look at the electrics. That's the plan anyway ;)
[/quote]
Brilliant news...I saw that and daydreamed about fixing it up, but it's beyond my cack-handed bodging. I demand a step by step restoration thread immediately! OK...have a cup of tea first, if you like.

Edited by rushbo

Owned a JB SG / EB3 bass somewhere around 1980. Even had the man himself rewire the electrics (they were way to complex). It was a really 'solid' bass, had a feel of quality build and last a lifetime. Downer was the neck dive, really bad. Hope the restoration goes well.

Well the good news is that the electrics all seem to work after a clean and that the truss rod turns and moves the neck. :)
Thanks for your kind words I'll update as things move on - it is a very solid and quite heavy instrument. The chap who I bought it from rescued it from a neighbour - in his words he saved it from the bonfire as the neighbour 'detests rock music and especially Black Sabbath which he believes this guitar make is particularly associated'. It beats the old Uncle's attic story anyhow ;)

That's a hell of a 'saved from the bonfire' story. Could you find out a bit more about it? Might be interesting.
What's that screw on backplate all about?

nb. saw a JB Rick 4-string in dark blue at the NEC guitar show around '02/03 - looked lovely.

Edited by spectoremg

The chap isn't particularly communicative I did ask about history and that's all he gave me. I think he just wanted rid of it however I doubt it had any celebrity connection. It's beautifully made and sounds pretty good too!

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1476737199' post='3156883']
That's a hell of a 'saved from the bonfire' story. Could you find out a bit more about it? Might be interesting.
What's that screw on backplate all about?

nb. saw a JB Rick 4-string in dark blue at the NEC guitar show around '02/03 - looked lovely.
[/quote]

The screw on backplate was a JB feature to prevent buckle rash. As a young man (The Who) in the late 1970s and early 80s I was wearing Levis and Wranglers complete with large buckled belt. Fashionable at the time I am told, great for guitar backs. My JB EB/SG bass (in my hands circa 1980/81) had the same feature, the complete back 'scratchplate, it seemed to work well. Whatever JB used as finish was 'interesting', my bass (black) had lost a fair amount of neck finish, leaving some white coloured undercoat showing. JB did an excellent job of refinishing neck (and electrics) for not much money. This was when they were based in Bromsgrove.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1476738951' post='3156907']

The screw on backplate was a JB feature to prevent buckle rash. As a young man (The Who) in the late 1970s and early 80s I was wearing Levis and Wranglers complete with large buckled belt. Fashionable at the time I am told, great for guitar backs. My JB EB/SG bass (in my hands circa 1980/81) had the same feature, the complete back 'scratchplate, it seemed to work well. Whatever JB used as finish was 'interesting', my bass (black) had lost a fair amount of neck finish, leaving some white coloured undercoat showing. JB did an excellent job of refinishing neck (and electrics) for not much money. This was when they were based in Bromsgrove.
[/quote]I'm in two minds about this - it's a solution that isn't if that makes sense; a cure for buckle rash that's ugly plastic with um... buckle rash 😮

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1476737802' post='3156895']
The chap isn't particularly communicative I did ask about history and that's all he gave me. I think he just wanted rid of it however I doubt it had any celebrity connection. It's beautifully made and sounds pretty good too!
[/quote]To be fair it's a great story already.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1476784062' post='3157133']
Here is a picture of the back and control cavity now it's stripped of parts and the giant back plate. Unlike some JB basses the cavity is quite small.
[/quote]

That's positively tiny compared to the J1 guitar control cavity!

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1476784062' post='3157133']
Here is a picture of the back and control cavity now it's stripped of parts and the giant back plate. Unlike some JB basses the cavity is quite small.
[/quote]
Only just seen this thread, so fleabay link is dead. Can see from your back pic though that this is a really nice shape. Well done for taking a punt - you're braver than me but I bet you're chuffed to bits now. More pics when you can pls.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1476728011' post='3156746']
[/quote]

If I had to put money on someone buying this it would be you Ash :) Great price for when you get it going as I know you will.