Why become a member? ×

First pedal build advice

SH73

I'm about to build a clone fuzz pedal. I want to add led and dc socket.
1. Does adding an led require adding capacitor etc.
2.what size of led? I'm thinking 3mmm.
3.is the led going to interfere with the sound?
4.anything else I need to know?
Thank you in advance

You'll usually need a resistor in series with the LED to limit the current running through it otherwise it may burn out. The LED diameter is up to you, although I avoid the super-bright LEDs as I find them overkill.

It shouldn't affect the tone.

Edited by ahpook

I can't advise you on the pedal but what I will say is if you do something your not happy with fix it straight away or you'll end up with a box of snags.
Good luck, building stuff is very rewarding. It can get expensive, especially if you get into valve amps, but don't worry about that just keep building.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1475922541' post='3149767']
To have a status LED you will need a 3PDT switch. The size of the LED doesn't matter, and it won't affect the sound, but you will need to add a resistor (say 1k) in series with it. Like this:

[/quote]
Brilliant

[quote name='samhay' timestamp='1475943011' post='3149976']
Only thing to add is that if you are building a clone using old PNP transistors, it may be positive ground and you will thus have trouble getting the DC jack to play nice with other effects. What are you building?
[/quote]
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=andrew+carrell+fuzz+face&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=visn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6qcqizOLPAhWFXBQKHeQcCy4Q_AUICCgC&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=UMtY3wVxtcu5rM%3A

You are building a negative ground effect, so you will not have a -9V supply (but it should play nicely with the rest of your pedal board if you daisy chain the DC supply).
You will need to tweak the wiring below - connect your +9V to where it says -9V and reverse the LED.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1475922541' post='3149767']
To have a status LED you will need a 3PDT switch. The size of the LED doesn't matter, and it won't affect the sound, but you will need to add a resistor (say 1k) in series with it. Like this:

[/quote]

Edited by samhay

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1477151427' post='3160194']
Is the schematic to the link correct provided all the components work?
[/quote]

It is marked unverified, so maybe try something that's been checked out...

Why not have a browse through these, choose one that's tagged with 'verified'...then get the kettle on and warm up that iron :)

[url="http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Fuzz"]http://tagboardeffec...arch/label/Fuzz[/url]

Edited by ahpook