Why become a member? ×

Opening Number

grumpyguts

Something that many bands agonise unnecessarily over. I don't think anyone should be playing tunes they think are bland anywhere in the set.

It doesn't really matter what tune you start with but it must be
1) Intersting for the audience to listen to and get their attention.
2) Played faultlessly.

Bear in mind a lot of bands will use their first song to set levels as the place would have been fairly empty when they do their line level and basic mix check. So if the sound isn't working properly you need to still make a good first impression. You can't do this is both the sound is off and the playing is out.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1475925310' post='3149793']
Followed by sex on dire?

I'm just the dep so I do as I'm told. Should the dep express an opinion?

And.. The whole two set thing doesn't make sense. Get the punters warmed up, disappear for 1/2 hour and start all over again. Why not stick with it for 2 hours?
[/quote]

I think audiences like a break too. Especially with the smoking ban it gives smokers the chance to nip outside for a fag and to chat to each other. Dont think i could do 2 hours straight

Should the dep express an opinion?
[/quote]

Not usually.

The whole two set thing doesn't make sense. Get the punters warmed up, disappear for 1/2 hour and start all over again. Why not stick with it for 2 hours?
[/quote]

Because they've got to sell beer.

In general the first song should have an impact and get attention (in a good way). As always, it depends though. I've done Masonic gigs and you start playing when peeps are eating! So in this case, something milder and lower in volume and tempo would be better.

Did a dep last week and even though these guys are seasoned pros they have no idea how to put a set together. Singer was looking through a pre-arranged set list and calling out random tunes based on heaven knows what!

Arranging a set is part of "band-craft". Experience and common sense are all you need but in this business the latter is in short supply.

Two good examples of thought would be Good Souls and Come together. This former is a powerhouse with the right band and says the band means business and the latter is a well known tune which you sound check too.

I don't think you need 'popular' as such as long as the opening number is a statement... if only to say to people, stick around, the band is worth watching and listening to.

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1475920280' post='3149725']
So what's the view, is it better to begin with a bang or ease gently into the set? Or does it depend on setting?
[/quote]

I think you've answered your own question; it depends entirely on setting / context. On some occasions, starting with a balls-to-the-wall attention grabber is likely to have severely counter-productive consequences.

I'm of the opinion that you have to start with a bang. Trouble is, in our chequered past, we have been booked for the wrong gig and we have ended up playing all our popular ( as we imagined for that particular audience) songs, then had nothing left to do other than heavier rock songs. Then again, one night a bunch of older ladies had a great night and even commented at the end " you thought we were a bunch of old fogies didn't you? " just shows, sometimes you have to just play what you play and own it!

I'm in a Bowie covers band and the others decided to open the set with Station to Station, something I feel is a very odd choice of opener. We used to do Let's Dance first which went down really well but switched it up for some reason. As Station.. is one of my least favourite songs to play I'm fine with getting it out of the way but it never feels like it opens the set with a bang.

In with a bang. Start the second song off the last note of the first one so they know they're listening to a different song.

I remember seeing some video of Green Day backstage and they had a little jam area set up for warming up. Getting loose and up to speed is an essential.

Opening Number

Depends on many factors, venue, length of set, demographic and size of the crowd.

Do you want to open with your best number to a relatively small pub crowd. Seems that Moon Dance would be perfect for that.

A large festival crowd at night, yeah start with a crowd pleaser but end with your best.

Blue

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1475942803' post='3149975']
In with a bang. Start the second song off the last note of the first one so they know they're listening to a different song.

I remember seeing some video of Green Day backstage and they had a little jam area set up for warming up. Getting loose and up to speed is an essential.
[/quote]

What works for famous pro bands usually does not work for local unknown bands playing small clubs and pubs.

Blue

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1475934416' post='3149905']

I think you've answered your own question; it depends entirely on setting / context. On some occasions, starting with a balls-to-the-wall attention grabber is likely to have severely counter-productive consequences.
[/quote]

Exactly, setting and context of the room.

For some situations it's better to save your good stuff for after the crowd is well lubricated.

Blue

Edited by blue