Why become a member? ×

Pirastro Evah Weich

gypsyjazzer

Hi Artisan

The Evah Weichs have now been on the D/B now for a few days. Bearing in mind they were bought S/H this is my '2 cents' worth:

I like them.They both bow and pizz. very well. May be tempted one day to buy a new set. (Bare in mind that everybody has different tastes).

• 3 weeks later...

I've just put a set last week. Enjoying the strings, they are easy to get around on and the tone is very nice. I've only had steel core up to now. Last set were Jazzer and they were great but wanted to see what other's were digging.
Evah' have not settled yet, still dropping tuning. Is that usual for synthetic core strings?

[quote name='benthebass' timestamp='1478248806' post='3167796']
I've just put a set last week. Enjoying the strings, they are easy to get around on and the tone is very nice. I've only had steel core up to now. Last set were Jazzer and they were great but wanted to see what other's were digging.
Evah' have not settled yet, still dropping tuning. Is that usual for synthetic core strings?
[/quote]

That is to be expected. Evahs sound great- most Jazz players have switched to Evah weich since they came out. The mittel are better for bowing/orchestral work, but the weich are a decent hybrid string. One thing I dont really like is that they tend to loose a lot of sound and brightness fairly quickly. And since they do have a "mild" sound to begin with, they dont last very long. If you are not about bowing, you could also try Velvet Blue for a brighter sound and excellent playability or Presto Jazzicato Tungsten, which are very nice for pizz. Some even like them for bowing, but they play very differently than typical arco steings like Flexocor or Belcanto.