Why become a member? ×

Zon basses build waiting times.....

Wayne Firefly

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1475832118' post='3149020']
Being realistic custom made basses usually involve an extended wait time.

WAL is 2 years and some and apparently with Carl Thompson you get it when you get it.

I understand the irritation, but to be honest, no matter what you were told at the start, 12 months doesn't seem like a long wait for a hand made bass from a very small outfit. Hassling the guys will probably turn out to be counter productive.
[/quote]

I don't think the wait time is directly the problem. It's being told one thing and then it running way past that (without any comms) that's causing the issues

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1475832118' post='3149020']
Being realistic custom made basses usually involve an extended wait time.

WAL is 2 years and some and apparently with Carl Thompson you get it when you get it.

I understand the irritation, but to be honest, no matter what you were told at the start, 12 months doesn't seem like a long wait for a hand made bass from a very small outfit. Hassling the guys will probably turn out to be counter productive.
[/quote]

12 or 18 months isn't a long wait IF you're told that's how long it will be from the outset. if you're told it'll be 6 months & then it drags on for twice that or even longer without any explanation then I think anyone would be right to be pissed off.

Hi, If it's any consolation I'm also waiting on a BG4 from Zon. I ordered mine start of February, was told it would be ready June/ July as they had already started making a batch and there was one spare. I'm guessing yours is in the same batch? I know for a fact that there were delays with Bartollini. I even contacted Bartollini who were very apologetic and helpful. I've had pretty much the same experience as you it sounds although you've been waiting even longer! Like you, I really don't want to be that PITA guy and likewise I don't have so much of a problem with the delay, but the communication has been disappointing.
Doing a bit of research I think it's a case of we will get there in the end, but I would rather be given realistic expectations and updates to save the worry!
Can't wait to play that beast of a bass!

I called once, spoke to someone who wasn't Joe. He wasn't too sure, thought it was close to completion. All my communication has been directly with Joe via email. To be fair he usually replies and comes across helpful. I'm reluctant to keep hassling them, so I just nudge them every month or two for an update.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1475768516' post='3148639']
I think 'Molan' Basschatter might be worth speaking to as Bassgear used to stock Zon Basses.
[/quote]

I think Joe is a lovely guy and makes great basses but, like a lot of custom luthiers, his perspective on delivery times may be a little different from other people.

I'd suggest phoning rather than emailing to get in touch with him direct.

[quote name='Jon bass' timestamp='1475844124' post='3149165']
Hi, If it's any consolation I'm also waiting on a BG4 from Zon. I ordered mine start of February, was told it would be ready June/ July as they had already started making a batch and there was one spare. I'm guessing yours is in the same batch? I know for a fact that there were delays with Bartollini. I even contacted Bartollini who were very apologetic and helpful. I've had pretty much the same experience as you it sounds although you've been waiting even longer! Like you, I really don't want to be that PITA guy and likewise I don't have so much of a problem with the delay, but the communication has been disappointing.
Doing a bit of research I think it's a case of we will get there in the end, but I would rather be given realistic expectations and updates to save the worry!
Can't wait to play that beast of a bass!
[/quote]

Yeah, I was told Bartolini had been a bit crap about winding the pickups they needed so fair enough, I was also told that my bass had been completed and was ready to ship at the end of the week, 4 weeks ago. Heard nothing since.
So, again, if I'd known I probably wouldnt have ordered or indeed paid in full up front. I appreciate they are busy etc etc but still feel like my chain is being pulled. I get it, Im not in Metallica !!!! Just frustrated thats all.

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1476104784' post='3151289']

Yeah, I was told Bartolini had been a bit crap about winding the pickups they needed so fair enough, I was also told that my bass had been completed and was ready to ship at the end of the week, 4 weeks ago. Heard nothing since.
So, again, if I'd known I probably wouldnt have ordered or indeed paid in full up front. I appreciate they are busy etc etc but still feel like my chain is being pulled. I get it, Im not in Metallica !!!! Just frustrated thats all.
[/quote]

Totally know how you feel, I've been tempted to complain at times but I don't want to create trouble and make the whole experience worse. Seeing others write that it's kind of usual with custom builds makes me feel better about it tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1475749741' post='3148395']
There was a thread a while back started by somebody waiting for a Hyperbass that took a lot longer than the time quoted.

I always found Zon to be particularly bad at answering emails. To be fair it's pretty much a one man operation but it's still not good customer service.
[/quote]

I wrote / mailed Zon a month ago to date my Zon for sale on here. I received an e mail reply less than 24 hours later with the month of birth and official facing wood description. So they are still there!

I'm sure there will ultimately be no issues, but I get your frustration.

That being said, being a 'one man band' cannot be an excuse. Alan at ACG is excellent at updates / responding to queries etc. None of my ACGs have ever taken longer to deliver than the original promise date (up to 12 months for the Custom spec). I guess that is a contributing factor (quality and value for money of the basses of course being high on the list) as to why I go back for more occasionally!

I had my custom done by Overwater and as previously stated they kept me updated with regular calls or emails and invited me to see the bass in progress as i'm only 1hr drive from them. Took almost exactly time they said it would and that's why i'm a bit confused and angered by Zon's lack of management in this.
Whether or not he's a one man band which he obviously isn't as he has support staff like a sales manager there should be regular updates even if its only when requested. An email to them every 6 - 8 weeks is quite lax for me. I would be at them as a minimum monthly.
Also i don't fully understand why a luthier cannot get the timescale correct for any bass. Maybe few weeks out but months is not acceptable. He should know exactly how long a bass will take to build. If there are delays from suppliers ie Bartolini or whatever then you should automatically be informed.
If its a small business as people have mentioned then basses should be easy to track and customers kept updated. No company is that busy to avoid keeping their paying customers informed.
I love the look of the Zon basses and is probably one i would still like to own but this kind of thing certainly puts me off buying new.
If Zon want to keep their sales up then they need to conform to an acceptable level of customer service.
They are a reputable company and i believe you will get your bass in the end but a few email updates from them would certainly help smooth things along and put their customers at ease.
Pretty disappointed after readaing this.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Lets put it this way, if I'd known then what I know now, I probably wouldnt have bothered ordering. I have not emailed lately as Im trying to - A. not worry too much and B. if I do, Im afraid Ill spout a load of negative rubbish so its best I just shut my yap and get used to the idea of waiting. In fact, Im interested to know how long it'll go before Im contacted as I have not had any kind of correspondence voluntarily from them at all. The downside of this is, I'll just end up stewing and worrying if it will end well.
Guess that'll teach me for trying to stretch myself !!!

Edited by Wayne Firefly

There's no excuse for the lack of communication from their side. If they give you a deadline they have to keep it, if there are delays they should phone/e-mail you and apologise with a description of the delay and new deadline.

Their attitude is very poor. I would be very angry if i had to go through what you're enduring. By this time i would be sending weekly e-mails and phone calls until i got a sensible reply with an explication of the delay, build status and realistic delivery date.

Good luck, hope this doesn't afect you relationship with your future bass, he's not to blame and will make all those funky sounds that'll make you forget about the long wait.

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1477493449' post='3162582']
Lets put it this way, if I'd known then what I know now, I probably wouldnt have bothered ordering. I have not emailed lately as Im trying to - A. not worry too much and B. if I do, Im afraid Ill spout a load of negative rubbish so its best I just shut my yap and get used to the idea of waiting. In fact, Im interested to know how long it'll go before Im contacted as I have not had any kind of correspondence voluntarily from them at all. The downside of this is, I'll just end up stewing and worrying if it will end well.
Guess that'll teach me for trying to stretch myself !!!
[/quote]

Same here, I'm trying to avoid getting in contact now as I don't want to get too frustrated about it any more. Last time I emailed (about a month ago) I was told with big apologies there was another delay because of supplier problems with the Gotoh tuners. What I don't understand is when these basses were ordered 8 months - a year ago, why all the parts weren't ordered then? Still, if you want a BG4 there's no other way of getting one so back to waiting!

Well, I got an email without having to chase it up, last Friday (28th Oct) saying its waiting on the Hipshot de-tuner and should ship the following Wednesday, I.E. tomorrow (2nd Nov.) I wont hold my breath.
As far as I can work out, they must be taking orders for a few to come in before building them. Instead of building each bass individually as ordered, they must wait until they have enough orders to make 20 / 25 or so, then sort them all out at once. Considering its not got a fancy top / exotic woods etc, pretty standard parts, Barts, Gotohs, Hipshot etc, I cant really get why its taken so long. Good god, if it got that bad supply-wise for a couple of basses, you could get Gotohs off Ebay !!!
Ill put money on the Sonus bodies being CNC'ed then hand finished / sanded like all the other Sonus basses, I can only imagine the necks are standard Sonus necks, I can only guess a 'production schedule' only begins when enough orders are taken.
They should be honest and say its a year waiting list instead of being told 'As you paid upfront we can bump you up the production schedule' BS.
Got a two week tour starting next week, I would have liked to have had if for then. Guess my tired old MM Sterling will take up the slack.....again !!!

Perhaps Zon and their ilk should take a peek at the internet and read what customers are saying about them.

I'd be horrified if it were my business and this thread came into my view.

If i were in the market for a boutique, Zon would not be on my list. ACG would though, and a few others. Feedback from the Bass community is everything

Edited by fleabag

All the discussions on here remind be terribly of what it was like in the early mid-2000s at Wal as Pete found his health deteriorating and his lease crumble from under him a couple of time in quick sucession. For a while he didn't have the heart to turn down orders (always assuming things would pick up, I guess) and of course that only left him further and further behind on orders being left unfulfilled. As I recall it was only when some friends and family convinced him to close the order book and just work on the orders he had that he started to whittle it down. Even then I also think that Paul ended up finishing off a few pre-existing orders when he took over the reigns in 2008/2009.

I do hope that Zon aren't entering into that kind of phase as well...

Yeah likewise, wouldn't want to put anyone off Zon, he makes great basses. I was just happy to find someone else in the same situation really, made me realise it's just how it is. Communication could be better, realistic expectations could've been given, but to be fair a year wait for a custom Zon isn't ridiculous.
Let us know how you get on with the shipping, hopefully mine will be soon after!