Why become a member? ×

Zon basses build waiting times.....

Wayne Firefly

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1478002921' post='3165857']
Well, I got an email without having to chase it up, last Friday (28th Oct) saying its waiting on the Hipshot de-tuner and should ship the following Wednesday, I.E. tomorrow (2nd Nov.) I wont hold my breath.
As far as I can work out, they must be taking orders for a few to come in before building them. Instead of building each bass individually as ordered, they must wait until they have enough orders to make 20 / 25 or so, then sort them all out at once. Considering its not got a fancy top / exotic woods etc, pretty standard parts, Barts, Gotohs, Hipshot etc, I cant really get why its taken so long. Good god, if it got that bad supply-wise for a couple of basses, you could get Gotohs off Ebay !!!
Ill put money on the Sonus bodies being CNC'ed then hand finished / sanded like all the other Sonus basses, I can only imagine the necks are standard Sonus necks, I can only guess a 'production schedule' only begins when enough orders are taken.
They should be honest and say its a year waiting list instead of being told 'As you paid upfront we can bump you up the production schedule' BS.
Got a two week tour starting next week, I would have liked to have had if for then. Guess my tired old MM Sterling will take up the slack.....again !!!
[/quote]

Any joy with shipping? I'm going to get in contact again soon.

[quote name='Jon bass' timestamp='1478621895' post='3170375']
Any joy with shipping? I'm going to get in contact again soon.
[/quote]
Yes, got an email without having to get in touch on Friday 4th Nov saying that after a few tweaks it would be posting Monday 7th but had nothing yet to say anything has shipped. Wont be holding my breath. Whatever.

• 5 months later...

I did get it in the end. It arrived in late March, I'd assume the one on their FB page was from Jon bass on this thread as he paid for his 3 months after mine and recieved his earlier.
To be fair, it is the pinnacle of the art of bassbuilding and it clanks and grinds with the best of them. Neck feels incredibly rigid. Utterly, utterly beautiful and its now out gigging hard.
I dont want to say anymore about being a moaning B'tard, it WAS definitely worth the wait BUT I wish I'd had more honest information.... if they'd said upfront you could be waiting up to a year, I'd have still probably made the order. I'd paid upfront in good faith it was going to take 6 months to get built.... it took 16 months from payment to getting it.
It was a happy ending whatever !!!!!

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1493730034' post='3290195']
Cant upload pics, wont let me, uploads fail.
[/quote]

Maybe your 'Attachments' quota is all used up..? Try this...

Go to your 'My Profile' (your pseudo, top right...).
Select 'Edit my Profile' (black button a bit below...).
Select 'Manage Attachments' (in the list on the left...).
They are listed in date order. Navigate to oldest, select those to be deleted (tick boxes on the right...).
Select 'Delete Selected' (grey button at bottom right of list...).
Repeat, page by page, until all unwanted attachments are deleted.

Using the BBCode link supplied by an external photo account such as Imgur or Flickr is a good idea, of course; even more so if using higher resolution photos. Your quota limit would never be reached using this method, and the photos are better presented. Just sayin'; that's what I do, and never need to worry about quotas.

Hope this helps; meanwhile...
Have a nice day
Douglas

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1493731335' post='3290216']
Maybe your 'Attachments' quota is all used up..? Try this...

Go to your 'My Profile' (your pseudo, top right...).
Select 'Edit my Profile' (black button a bit below...).
Select 'Manage Attachments' (in the list on the left...).
They are listed in date order. Navigate to oldest, select those to be deleted (tick boxes on the right...).
Select 'Delete Selected' (grey button at bottom right of list...).
Repeat, page by page, until all unwanted attachments are deleted.

Using the BBCode link supplied by an external photo account such as Imgur or Flickr is a good idea, of course; even more so if using higher resolution photos. Your quota limit would never be reached using this method, and the photos are better presented. Just sayin'; that's what I do, and never need to worry about quotas.

Hope this helps; meanwhile...
Have a nice day
Douglas
[/quote]
Thanks Douglas, it was that !!!
Here it is.

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1493729738' post='3290190']
I'd love a Legacy but buying used is the way I would go in future !! Who knows what'll come up ??!!
[/quote]

I bought both my Legacys secondhand, there's no way i could have afforded them new.

Oh. Sorry. I only just noticed this thread.
It was me who had difficulty getting my hyperbass...
Mine is almost the exact same story as yours.
Paid upfront. Ended up being about 8 months late as I recall.
No mails or explanations.
In the end Joe had said it was being packed for delivery. Still didn't arrive. I tried phoning, and more emails... eventually they said, it's being finalised (?) and that they didn't want it to go out until they were happy with it...
All of which would have been perfectly fine, if they'd just told me a date with 8 extra months built into it.
Like you, I was over four grand into them, and wasn't getting the customer service I felt I deserved. Just semi regular emails and all would have been fine.
In the end it did turn up, and it's awesome.
As is the 6 string fretless (non-hipshot) hyperbass I got later. And the Old Legacy I picked up later still, at a good used price... great basses.
Are Zons worth the wait? Possibly, if you build a ridiculous amount of time contingency into your expectations of how long it's *REALLY* going to take!

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1493767182' post='3290585']
Oh. Sorry. I only just noticed this thread.
It was me who had difficulty getting my hyperbass...
Mine is almost the exact same story as yours.
Paid upfront. Ended up being about 8 months late as I recall.
No mails or explanations.
In the end Joe had said it was being packed for delivery. Still didn't arrive. I tried phoning, and more emails... eventually they said, it's being finalised (?) and that they didn't want it to go out until they were happy with it...
All of which would have been perfectly fine, if they'd just told me a date with 8 extra months built into it.
Like you, I was over four grand into them, and wasn't getting the customer service I felt I deserved. Just semi regular emails and all would have been fine.
In the end it did turn up, and it's awesome.
As is the 6 string fretless (non-hipshot) hyperbass I got later. And the Old Legacy I picked up later still, at a good used price... great basses.
Are Zons worth the wait? Possibly, if you build a ridiculous amount of time contingency into your expectations of how long it's *REALLY* going to take!
[/quote]

I agree with everything you have said here.
If I'd known it was going to take so long upfront, I'd have just gotten on with waiting.
If I could find a good used price Legacy or another good Sonus, I'd probably go for it haha !!

[quote name='Wayne Firefly' timestamp='1493805548' post='3290740']

I agree with everything you have said here.
If I'd known it was going to take so long upfront, I'd have just gotten on with waiting.
If I could find a good used price Legacy or another good Sonus, I'd probably go for it haha !!
[/quote]

Exactly. I'm not impatient. If they'd told me a more accurate estimate of when I could expect it, that would have been ok. The problem is that you get to a point where you're just waiting for the email saying its on its way. But it doesn't come. And the months tick by. And still, nothing. Then silence. All pretty nerve racking.

It's a very poor way to develop a good reputation for customer service. I'd have difficulty recommending Zon based on that, but the basses are *pretty good*. 😜

Edited by GremlinAndy

• 3 weeks later...

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]It has arrived.. FedEx pulled up and I don't think I've felt like this since I was 6 years old on christmas morning. Its so loud, every fret clear, every harmonic is so crisp. Dare I say almost too clear?? haha. I'm not used to this. I transitioned to bass last year and have been playing a Spector NS2A (as far as I can tell.) Talk about an upgrade. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]My band's first gig of 2017 is literally TODAY, and yes, I'm going into battle right away with it. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]In the end I ordered the bass in October 2016 and received it on May 20th 2017. I did go for the black gloss finish which may have added time. Well worth the wait. At some point I will upload some sounds.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Apparently I can only upload one photo at a time. You can clearly see all the photos here: [/size][/font][/color]https://www.talkbass.com/threads/zon-billy-gould-signature.1137406/page-2#post-20058765