Why become a member? ×

New Bass Recommendations!

BrewA1

Hello!

I currently own a Fender Precision bass (absolutely amazing), and I'm now looking for a second bass to work alongside the Precision in my hard rock band.

I've looked at loads of basses, but can't see to clamp down to one idea. Some ideas of a second were:

• Jazz
• Jaguar
• Rick 4003/1
• Maybe just another precision?

Fact of the matter is, I'd like the guidance of some fellow bass players to help me make a decision for a secondary!

I prefer thin necks, and simple controls, other than that I'm pretty open to suggestions, so fire away! (Budget £1500 max, will most likely buy second hand)

Thanks!

Adam :)

Personally I'd go with the Jazz or the Ricky. I have both (MIA Fender and a 4001) and while I love the Ricky to bits I think the Jazz has the edge. If you're considering a Ricky I assume you have a fair sized budget so you'll have a bit of scope. Try lots and pick the one you like best.

Should have added really, I've owned quite a few basses, none of which I've gone "Yes, this is me" (obviously that can and may possibly will take years to know what is me, but it's nice to narrow it down a bit);

•Gibson Thunderbird
• MM Stingray
• Traveler TB-4P (similar in dimensions as P)
• Retrovibe Vantage 4
• Ibanez JTKB09
• Squier Jaguar

£1500 was an absolute top figure, for the most certainty. Seen a nice Marcus Miller Jazz going for about £500 which I'm considering,

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475522252' post='3146648']
For a rock band and that budget I would be seriously looking at the Fender USA Geddy Lee sig!
[/quote]

That would be my suggestion too. OP already has a Precision so makes sense to have a Jazz in the fold, plus the comment about thin necks, well the Geddy is reputed to have a pretty slim neck, and also to sound great for rock.

For a rock band it is hard to beat a Spector.
Queensryche, Alice in chains, Skid Row, Cannibal Corpse, Judas Priest and a host of other well known and iconic rock bands' bassist all used and still use Spector basses.

I'd say you go for a EURO 4. It has PJ pickups, active electronics, slim neck, contoured body. They'd fit into your budget even new, but used they go around 800-900 GBP (or less sometimes)

It will give you different tone options compared to your P bass.

How about a P/J, or a G&L. The L2000 is definitely worth a look and a play. A Thunderbird is definitely a good one to try.

I would highly recommend a Ric 4003, though, I'll caveat that with "try before you buy". Some people "get" them, most don't. If you're playing a P bass anyway, the neck won't feel too weird (if you played a J bass, it will feel very weird!), though you might need to stretch your budget.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1475524505' post='3146689']
Queensryche, Alice in chains, Skid Row, Cannibal Corpse, Judas Priest and a host of other well known and iconic rock bands' bassist all used and still use Spector basses.

I'd say you go for a EURO 4. It has PJ pickups, active electronics, slim neck, contoured body. They'd fit into your budget even new, but used they go around 800-900 GBP (or less sometimes)

[/quote]

I second this. My Euro 4 was the best bass I've ever owned and I miss it dearly. Tone-wise IMO, they are utterly untouchable in a rock setting. Snarl, crispness, presence, bags of punch and a focused bottom end. Absolute bargain at the price they go for.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1475533362' post='3146795']
I second this. My Euro 4 was the best bass I've ever owned and I miss it dearly. Tone-wise IMO, they are utterly untouchable in a rock setting. Snarl, crispness, presence, bags of punch and a focused bottom end. Absolute bargain at the price they go for.
[/quote]

Exactly.

Actually, if the OP has 1500 GBP budget, he could buy both a used Spector Euro4 and a used Fender Geddy (which is a great instrument, too. I had one) This way the jazz territory is covered, too. With a J, a P and a Spector you are covered for anything really.

[/quote]
With you all the way has to be a Spector, great woods and tone and the NS curved body shape is so comfortable plus it looks really cool. 😃

[/quote]

This. You can't beat a Spector for rock music B)

[quote name='cetera' timestamp='1475699999' post='3148149']
This. You can't beat a Spector for rock music B)
[/quote]
Sorry for the slight hijack but I'm also looking at a Spector as a possible option, albeit on a lower budget. How would you rate the Legend 4 Custom?

I normally play Warwicks but the prices are just ridiculous these days (that said I'm also considering a Rockbass Streamer LX but the finishes on the Spectors look a bit less "cheap"). I'm looking for something half-decent to keep strung BEAD.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1475745288' post='3148327']
Sorry for the slight hijack but I'm also looking at a Spector as a possible option, albeit on a lower budget. How would you rate the Legend 4 Custom?

I normally play Warwicks but the prices are just ridiculous these days (that said I'm also considering a Rockbass Streamer LX but the finishes on the Spectors look a bit less "cheap"). I'm looking for something half-decent to keep strung BEAD.
[/quote]

In my experience every Spector is very good at their price level and the Legend Custom is no exception. I dare to say you get more bass for the money as with many other brands. Since the Customs are discontinued I assume you are looking at buying used, right?

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1475747433' post='3148357']
In my experience every Spector is very good at their price level and the Legend Custom is no exception. I dare to say you get more bass for the money as with many other brands. Since the Customs are discontinued I assume you are looking at buying used, right?
[/quote]
No I'm looking at buying new. I know I'd get a better deal used but I'm probably going to have to get it on finance as having just bought a house I can't be dropping a substantial amount in one go. Still in stock here:
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Spector-Bass-Legend-4-Custom-Bass-Guitar-Slate-Grey/JKY"]http://www.gear4musi...-Slate-Grey/JKY[/url]
but presumably the price drop mentioned is due to them being discontinued? If that's the case I may have to look at what they're replacing them with, if anything. The "Classic" looks a bit too budget for me, whilst the Euro is a bit pricey for something that's not going to be my main instrument.

The Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ also looks interesting.

Edited by Johnny Wishbone

@Johnny Wishbone - have you tried any yet? Despite one of their models sharing a body-design Warwick's & Spectors have completely different tones so I find it a little odd that you'd be considering both - definitely worth trying before you buy as what you like about one might not necessarily be there in the other.