Why become a member? ×

One of life's great puzzles

CokeyW

Why do people who live on a coast, or in a remote region, consistently put up their items for sale and refuse point blank to post them? Top tip....a lot of your potential buyers live too far away to get to you without difficulty and fish don't play bass. Sorry for pointing this out but it may help you when you're wondering why your stuff doesn't sell.

[quote name='CokeyW' timestamp='1475441180' post='3145979']
Why do people who live on a coast, or in a remote region, consistently put up their items for sale and refuse point blank to post them? Top tip....a lot of your potential buyers live too far away to get to you without difficulty and fish don't play bass. Sorry for pointing this out but it may help you when you're wondering why your stuff doesn't sell.
[/quote]

Packing stuff well, and then shipping it, is a bit of a clart on that requires a time and effort. Some people just don't have the time. Simple as that.

Sorry for pointing this out but it may help you when you're wondering why your stuff doesn't sell.
[/quote]

But how about the inconceivable notion that they might just have a brain and might just have thought through this even before placing the ad, and that they are not wondering at all?

Myself, I've recently sold hundreds of items. Most items would be sent, whilst others would not. For example, I'd send every bass I had the original box for, but did not send basses where I'd have to track down packaging material, buy that packaging material for real money, and construct a box out of it.
In other cases, I would simply refuse to go through the work when people could buy a £250 combo for just £30.
Also, for large, heavy items, the post office won't take them, whilst UPS won't fetch as I live in a "remote area" (not true, but it means my area is slightly less profitable).
Other reasons exist.

Fun fact: in my ads listing all items, a few items (very few) were clearly marked if they were not going to be sent.
Still, some people demanded that I send them.

I recently sold an ancient, large and heavy (29Kg) yamaha stage piano on ebay with a starting price of £1. Clearly stated that it was cash on collection only (I live in SE London). When the bidding was at the giddy heights of £1.20 I had a lady from Sheffield ask what I would charge to ship it. Really??? Eventually sold it for £62 to a charming chap who turned up to collect it on a vespa. He got it home too!

Why do people who live on a coast, or in a remote region, consistently put up their items for sale and refuse point blank to post them? Top tip....a lot of your potential buyers live too far away to get to you without difficulty and [b]fish don't play bass[/b]. Sorry for pointing this out but it may help you when you're wondering why your stuff doesn't sell.
[/quote]

Pretty sure I've seen him play guitar mind..! :)

Edited by yorks5stringer

Why do people who live on a coast, or in a remote region, consistently put up their items for sale and refuse point blank to post them? Top tip....a lot of your potential buyers live too far away to get to you without difficulty and [b]fish don't play bass[/b].
[/quote]

The fish was easily the best bass player YES ever had.

You do make a good point though. Plenty of Mesa gear appears in the suth that I'd like to get my hands on but the sellers won't ship.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1475574642' post='3146958']
I recently sold an ancient, large and heavy (29Kg) yamaha stage piano on ebay, Eventually sold it for £62 to a charming chap who turned up to collect it on a vespa. He got it home too!
[/quote]

Should of got a photo :lol:

[attachment=229262:piano.jpg]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1475456424' post='3146082']
I can see their point. If it gets damaged in transit, then who pays ?

Plus my idea of great condition is often different to other people's.
[/quote]

=1 Indeed.
Also, when buying something as personal as an instrument or amplifier, I like to make sure the buyer is happy with it...
If I'm selling a bass that I describe as "wonderful to play" that's just my opinion - the buyer may not think so...

When buying new from a shop or warehouse, at least you're covered for damage in the post. But when individuals send or receive instruments in the post, I'm not sure all couriers are clear on what protection either the or seller buyer has. I think there's a lot of small print to be read with regard to some couriers.

Plus, with regard to basses and guitars, I keep seeing them for sale on here & elsewhere "bought from GAK (Or elsewhere) recently - but have decided it's not for me". Of course, that last point helps sustain a good second-hand market, but I've never bought an instrument without having first played it, or another one which is the same model as the one I tried. Seems more of a "faff" to buy something thinking you'll like it, only to have to sell on and possibly lose money.

Edited by Marc S

I'll post pedals, but anything bigger I'm willing to pack it for the buyer's courier to collect, but wont ship it myself.

This is from dealing with couriers in a professional capacity, I don't want ultimate responsibility for the way a third party might (miss)treat a shipment.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1475580660' post='3147032']
I'll post pedals, but anything bigger I'm willing to pack it for the buyer's courier to collect, but wont ship it myself.

This is from dealing with couriers in a professional capacity, I don't want ultimate responsibility for the way a third party might (miss)treat a shipment.
[/quote]

Indeed

If you'd rather not have the responsibility, then collection only, or let the buyer book their own courier at their cost. Not only do they pay the minimum postage cost ( no inflated postage cost from seller ) if it all goes a bit turbo, then the buyer has to deal with all the courier BS

And thats another reason why i only use Bank Transfer or at a pinch, Family / Friends payment via Paypal. Its so easy to get scammed by buyers on Paypal using the Goods payment , for which the seller has to pay a fee.

Edited by fleabag

Guest bassman7755

I generally wont post any large/heavy items I sell, I frankly cant be arsed with the hassle of packing items like basses and cabs. If I really need the money I'll price it accordingly.

There was a fretless Yamaha on eBay the other day that I'd have had in a second if it hadn't been collection only from Cornwall.

Mind you a large part of that is down to my inherent laziness and unwillingness to spend most of a day driving from Warwickshire to Cornwall and back or spend the additional money required to do so on a hundred quid bass.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1475580660' post='3147032']

[/quote]

From a prospective buyers PoV that is very off putting. IME organising a courier is easy, it's the packing bit that's difficult. A seller who isn't prepared to organise a courier in my mind probably won't have packed the item sufficiently.

I send all sorts of stuff that I sell (and not just musical equipment) all over the world and have only had problems twice, once when a courier lost one part of a two parcel shipment somewhere between here and Japan, and another time when it was obvious that the parcel had been dropped in a very deep puddle. On both occasions the insurance claim was dealt with promptly and paid in full without quibble.

Being geographically challenged (here in the actual north, not flamin' Newcastle, call that "north"? ;) ) I don't have a lot of choice other than courier basses and stuff to people, because that's where most of the people buying stuff are. Damn right you should all come up to Aberdeen and pick up stuff in person to make my life easier, but that just isn't going to happen :) The main bugger of it all is that it limits my choice of stuff sometimes because my willingness to post is not reciprocated by people who can't/won't post for whatever reason. Yeah, yeah, boo hoo, suck it up, I chose to live up here etc. etc.

And if you think I'm wasting a day going to Glasgow/Edinburgh to maybe buy something - you're sorely mistaken. The £40 of fuel is just the start - what about time? I don't have the luxury of having fantastically stocked bass emporiums within a handy distance, so I deal at distance. If I don't like it, new stuff is covered by distance selling regs, second hand stuff just gets tossed back into the market. I have learned to set up basses to my liking by myself so I don't need any help or after care from the retailer unless the item is actually faulty.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1475593802' post='3147206']

From a prospective buyers PoV that is very off putting. IME organising a courier is easy, it's the packing bit that's difficult. A seller who isn't prepared to organise a courier in my mind probably won't have packed the item sufficiently.

I send all sorts of stuff that I sell (and not just musical equipment) all over the world and have only had problems twice, once when a courier lost one part of a two parcel shipment somewhere between here and Japan, and another time when it was obvious that the parcel had been dropped in a very deep puddle. On both occasions the insurance claim was dealt with promptly and paid in full without quibble.
[/quote]

I don't want the stress or liability of being responsible for the courier, buyers are welcome to collect, or send a courier to do so on their behalf. I should probably add that I supervise the shipping department of a manufacturing company who export the majority of their products, so I have access to professional grade shipping material and expertise.