Why become a member? ×

October Composition Challenge ------get writing y'all

lurksalot

[color=#A52A2A][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][size=6]October's Composition Challenge starts Here........ Hooray [/size][/font][/color]

After a deserved [size=3][size=4]win by Mornats in Septembers comp, he has kindly offered up this great picture for your inspiration this month [/size][/size]

In the words of Mornats himself....

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So here's my pic. It's October, and that means Hallowe'en. So even though it's on a similar feel to last month I think there could be a more humorous element to this one - just check out the expression on his "face"! The pic is one that I took in Peru several years ago and is of a 500+ year old Inca mummy that was placed in an open grave at Nazca. They're all just sitting there in holes in the ground. There's very little erosion around there (hence how the Nazca lines have survived) and they look rather fresh and still have hair. "[/font][/color]

[size=5][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So dive in and fill your boots !!!![/font][/color][/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Small print and Rules etc[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any Questions just ask in the thread and all will become clear.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]Deadline for entries is midnight on Monday 24th October ........[/b][/size][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][size=4] so go get em floyd :D[/size][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1475421776' post='3145766']Apart from bagpipes...[/quote]

The one and only taboo that must NEVER be crossed. As supported in law by the Geneva Conventions: article 178 section 3.3A, paragraph 42.

I'm serious. Don't **** with that ****! Ever.

Ok, i think this is about as done as it will ever be. featuring my new home made fretless, and a style largely unfamiliar to me but fun nonetheless. just a short little ditty for Halloween.

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/happy-hour-in-the-jazz-club-of-the-damned-1

just updated as there was an irritating level issue with the second guitar so i reigned it in a little.

Edited by christofloffer

Being a bit full of cold gave me a chance to finish my happy gothic ditty:

https://soundcloud.com/dredd-and-the-badass-weed/voices

Twas made with some guitar and some beats by The Weeds guitar man, but the majority of guitar-y noises are made with my new toy, a Bass Whammy pedal... It does The Funk as well - watch this space!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1476395277' post='3154033']
Got mine done bar the listen-to-it-a-million-times-on-every-speaker stage............
[/quote]

I get to that point except I dont actually get to listen on every speaker , what happens with me, is that I listen to it a million times just to try and like the thing , then by the time I have convinced myself that it is actually worth anything, I have got to like the version I did first .
The dark arts of production are ever elusive to me :D

Got mine done: https://soundcloud.com/mornats/nazca-death-chant

Nazca Death Chant

A fun hallowe'en trip to Central and South America.

Drums and percussion
--------------------
Heavyocity Damage Industrial Kit
NI Rise and Hit

Synths and pads
---------------
NI Massive - presets by Mikael Adle/Leap Into The Void (Behold Sub and Drone of Severe Death)

Instruments
-----------
Sound Dust Pendleonium 3 (custom preset and Spokes preset)
Soundiron Aztec Death Whistle
NI West AFrica - Fula Flute

Choirs and voices
-----------------
Zero-G Etherea

Effects
-------
NI Guitar Rig 5 Pro
Izotope Neutrino

Put together in Reaper.

Got my entry finished!

https://soundcloud.com/gxmix/incafunka

Here's the instrument list in order of what you hear...

NI West Africa
NI Drumlab
NI Massive
Guitar from Apple Loops
Apple Alchemy

All played on a NI S88

Effects are:
Apple Channel EQ
Apple Space Designer
Apple Adaptive Limiter
NI Solid Bus Compressor

Just noticed that Moonrats has made use of NI West Africa too. :D

Gonna go & have a listen to the other entries now.

HI all, wasn't sure if i was going to enter an effort this month, wanted to do a stomping guitar tune for this but couldn't get anywhere with it. Came back after a long nightshift, sat at the computer, looked at the picture, felt a little sad, and came up with a tune, wrote some lyrics with reference to the picture and then recorded it live (not sure if this is allowed so feel free to bin it if I'm breaking rules!). Apologies for my voice and its my first ever effort as a piano song! Listened to some of the efforts so far and they are all brilliant and proper compositions, mines a very simple effort but its based on what I got from the pic, hence it being called Bones!

https://soundcloud.com/thevelvetknock/boneslive