Why become a member? ×

Gibson try again for the nth time

neepheid

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1503941888' post='3361717']
The Grabber is such a cult bass with alt-rock/metal bands, surely it would sell if given a reasonably accurate reissue?
[/quote]

Thing is with basses, they tinker; it's just not like the plethora of Les Paul historic reissues.

The Grabber got a reissue a few years back, it didn't seem a bad bass, but it wasn't a straight copy of the G3, more a reinterpretation. I don't think they made that many and there always seemed to be stock around for ages.

If they did a 20/20, that could be fun.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1503952697' post='3361837']
Thing is with basses, they tinker; it's just not like the plethora of Les Paul historic reissues.

The Grabber got a reissue a few years back, it didn't seem a bad bass, but it wasn't a straight copy of the G3, more a reinterpretation. I don't think they made that many and there always seemed to be stock around for ages.

If they did a 20/20, that could be fun.
[/quote] There was one with three MM type single coils in totally different positions to the G3, and another more accurate Grabber-esque one with the sliding pickup and slightly too big headstock. I only saw the sliding pickup one once, definitely a very small run.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1487609270' post='3241185']
I think you've hit the nail on the head. There's a few exceptions but when was the last time you saw a player you looked up to with a Gibson bass? Especially compared to their 6 strings, I'm struggling to think of many players with even the T-Bird which I'd guess is the most abundant model. Caleb Shcofield (Cave In) and his Grabber and John Curley (Afghan Whigs) and his T-Bird are the 2 main ones for me but even Caleb switches between that and a P. If the classic models were more widely used and maybe just easier to get hold of then more people would use them.
[/quote]. Kyle Eatwood has a fretless Gibson Bunny Burnell, but that must be the shortest lived signature model ever. He probably has one because Bunny was his tutor.