Why become a member? ×

Gibson try again for the nth time

neepheid

Gibson have had some fairly crazy/unconventional designs historically and there's been plenty of redesign to get a bass from a fundamentally guitar design (Firebird/Thunderbird et al).

While I really like the weirdness of the Moderne and Futura (also the original Explorer with the V-shaped split headstock), I honestly don't know how a Moderne or Futura bass would size up...I seem to remember someone building a Futura bass (google confirms this) and its a monstrosity!

I suppose the best you could do is check out some old Hamers to see what you can achieve; they seemed to pillage through old Gibson designs and make them their own for a bit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The generally negative views expressed here seem to have been born out in low sales. Andertons currently offering the violin burst 5 string for a mere £699 and the website says they e 6 in stock! Must regret ordering them. Their video sound test makes them sound very versatile. The square shoulders give them a slab body look which makes them look a bit different and didn't show up in the original pictures released by Gibson. Anyone bought one yet?

[size=4]Who writes this stuff? Andertons or Gibson?[/size]

[i][size=4][color=#231F20]"You have 2 volume controls for each pickup so that you can blend the pickups however you want to with a master tone control."[/color][/size][/i]

[size=4][color=#231F20]Ignoring the fact that this sentence barely passes (or parses) muster as English, that could imply that the bass has four volume controls, or in fact five. In practice, it has three knobs, and presumably at least one of them is a tone control.[/color][/size]

It's a pig-ugly bass anyway.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1501487553' post='3344883']
Who writes this stuff? Andertons or Gibson?

[i][color=#231F20]"You have 2 volume controls for each pickup so that you can blend the pickups however you want to with a master tone control."[/color][/i]

[color=#231F20]Ignoring the fact that this sentence barely passes (or parses) muster as English, that could imply that the bass has four volume controls, or in fact five. In practice, it has three knobs, and presumably at least one of them is a tone control.[/color]

It's a pig-ugly bass anyway.
[/quote]

I believe that's Andertons' own words. Not that inventing extra volume controls and non-existent coil taps or dropping the price through the floor is going to help this bass. I can honestly say that if I was given a Gibson "New" EB bass for free I'd probably sell it on (if I could) then buy one of those new Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbirds instead. Now *that's* a pretty bass, I don't care what anyone says ;)

It's not difficult is it, bring out a Thunderbird in some cool finishes (stealth TB anyone), with some modern pickup options. Lull, Dingwall & Sandberg have proven that the shape isn't dead, people still love it.
Another SG, long and short scale, with some decent pickup placement. Sure stick with the standard pickup placements as a 'classic' sub-range, but offer some options at least. An SG with Mr Novax' new 'Darkstar' clones in a more typical spacing?!....they'd sell out (I'd buy one anyway haha).
Reissue the RD Artist, every post-rock band in the world would buy one.

Garnish with some actual colour options and you have a heritage infused bass range to get excited about.
Not the committee designed guff that they're coming up with now.

Si

P.S.
I am available for consultation Gibson, I'll likely be cheaper than whoever designed the EB-5 range ;)

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1501494117' post='3344954']
It's not difficult is it, bring out a Thunderbird in some cool finishes (stealth TB anyone), with some modern pickup options. Dingwall have proved that the shape isn't dead, people still love it.
Another SG, long and short scale, with some decent pickup placement. Sure stick with the standard pickup placements as a 'classic' sub-range, but offer some options at least. An SG with Mr Novax' new 'Darkstar' clones in a more typical spacing?!....they'd sell out (I'd buy one anyway haha).

Garnish with some actual colour options and you have a heritage infused bass range to get excited about.

Si
[/quote]

Exactly what this man said! committee designed basses that no bass player would buy. I would love to see a thunderbird with some Darkstar-esque pickups in some retro colours or some sparkle finishes, anything other than the dross they churn out. Look what Mike Lull has done with the thunderbird too, lovely looking basses.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1501494117' post='3344954']
It's not difficult is it, bring out a Thunderbird in some cool finishes (stealth TB anyone), with some modern pickup options. Dingwall have proved that the shape isn't dead, people still love it.

Si

P.S.
I am available for consultation Gibson, I'll likely be cheaper than whoever designed the EB-5 range ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1501496127' post='3344974']
Exactly what this man said! committee designed basses that no bass player would buy. I would love to see a thunderbird with some Darkstar-esque pickups in some retro colours or some sparkle finishes, anything other than the dross they churn out. [b]Look what Mike Lull has done with the thunderbird too, lovely looking basses.[/b]
[/quote]

I'm done with Gibson for now and when my Gothic sells (hint, hint), there'll just be tumbleweed in the Gibson storeroom at Chez Johnson. Yes, I know Neeph is the Gibson King and I'm supposed to be/was King Thunderbird blah blah/whatever, but my smart-money is going on Mike Lull basses from now on. More colours, more options, cough, more money, cough.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1501505408' post='3345092']
I'm done with Gibson for now and when my Gothic sells (hint, hint), there'll just be tumbleweed in the Gibson storeroom at Chez Johnson. Yes, I know Neeph is the Gibson King and I'm supposed to be/was King Thunderbird blah blah/whatever, but my smart-money is going on Mike Lull basses from now on. More colours, more options, cough, more money, cough.
[/quote]

If Lull starts doing an SG shape.....I'm in trouble!

Si

I actually played one of these on Saturday and really liked it! Lightweight, balances really well, intonation and tuning were bang on, neck was really comfy to hold and the preamp gave a lot of good tonal options. Reminded me a of a G&L - unremarkable but a solid workhorse which always gets the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a new 2017 EB, £599. from Andertons. couldn't decide between the fender dimension delux or this, but went for this, as i have played it and liked it, plus every video of it, it sounds way better than the dimension, which does not sound too different from my fender jazz.

looking forward to it arriving soon.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1502709963' post='3352968']
Has anyone with a Thunderbird played one of these? I love the thunderbird sound but the possibility of a lightweight package appeals.
[/quote]

Must admit I've always been pleasantly surprised by how lightweight the average Thunderbird is! Can't say I've tried an EB for comparison...though I guess the 'bird is only light until you have to pop it in that 5ft coffin case to carry it around.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1502709963' post='3352968']
Has anyone with a Thunderbird played one of these? I love the thunderbird sound but the possibility of a lightweight package appeals.
[/quote]
yes i have, very similar, thats why i went for it, the Tbird's are not the best to play standing up when you have some belly on you. its a fair swap i'd say. specially with a slightly heavier Gauge steel string.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1502710136' post='3352970']

Must admit I've always been pleasantly surprised by how lightweight the average Thunderbird is! Can't say I've tried an EB for comparison...though I guess the 'bird is only light until you have to pop it in that 5ft coffin case to carry it around.
[/quote]

Mine is a big old chunk of Mahogany, not stupid heavy but very noticeable next to my Aria. It's not a problem, and the sound means it's not ever going to be a problem but the possibility of a back up/ 2nd bass with similar sound but a little more ergonomic appeals.
[quote name='Rollin Thunder' timestamp='1502710136' post='3352971']

yes i have, very similar, thats why i went for it, the Tbird's are not the best to play standing up when you have some belly on you. its a fair swap i'd say. specially with a slightly heavier Gauge steel string.
[/quote]
Thanks! It's getting very very tempting, I may need to take a trip and have a play with one.

No reply from Paul and Lull about SG basses (think my message feel into his 'other' inbox on Facebook).
That said, I've since learned that Gibson have successfully trademarked a number of body shapes, including the SG, so definitly no production SGs from other companies. Not sure how that works for custom builders, I notice Jaydee does an SG signature copy and have said they'd do a bass if asked.

Guess I'd have to look for a second hand EB3 short scale for my Dark Star project, maybe an old Tokai.

Si

got mine yesterday played it all evening g, playing with settings. this is serious low end monster, wouldn't think so for what is a super light bass. it does any Frazer, john Entwistle and everything in between. great bass for hard rock classic rock/metal/ prog, punk, reckon it will slap a bit as well,( but that not my thing and other basses probably do that much better.) very much plays like a T Bird but coil taps give it another subtle dimension. its a bit lacking in mids, but some eq evens it up. better with a 50 G string than a 45 as well. its got a great neck, thin but not too much long but not too long.

cannot go wrong with these Gibson usa made at £600 anyone thinking about it, just do it. i love it. played my Ray34 afterwards and that sounded like an elastic band on a tin can in comparison.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1503648259' post='3359875']
More bad news for Gibson. Moody's have downgraded them to "negative"
[/quote]
money and profitability is not everything. Aston Martin used to and pretty much still does hemorrhage money, they still make some of the worlds greatest cars.

an american gentlemen allegedly went to Aston martin in the 60's to buy a bond DB5, he asked "how much" they said "£4000" he said "no i want one at cost price" they said "ok that's £5000"

I feel I must retract a statement I made a few times in this thread. These EB basses do indeed have the coil splitting option, despite it not being mentioned in any of the blurb. I checked a 5 string when I was in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow recently and I can confirm that it has push pull knobs which would suggest that the coil splits are still there.

Still not interested in it though ;)

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm sure someone else will have mentioned that the 2013-2014 model was a lot nicer. It sounded really dry and crisp and was great to play. I don't think many of those sold either. But this new Tobias/Thunderbird hybrid style doesn't work for me at all. As someone on the first page stated, it's very *Meh*!