Why become a member? ×

Gibson try again for the nth time

neepheid

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1475430021' post='3145849']
I keep on coming back to these.

They're not that bad you know - I'd have one.
[/quote]

Maybe they're doing something right - they don't need has-beens like me who still wish it was the 70s or 80s and hanker after RDs and Rippers, as we're clearly in the minority anyway and have been so for some time now. I am as obsolete as the basses I own and desire :(

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1475430021' post='3145849']
I keep on coming back to these.

They're not that bad you know - I'd have one.
[/quote]

I don't think they look too bad either, although they don't immediately scream Gibson.

I like the 2 octave neck, but would have to play one first.

I just took it into my head to look at Gibson's 2017 range. Multiple variations on the Firebird theme, no Thunderbird return apart from the headstock on this odious bit of wood. A few custom colour limited runs on Thunderbirds (whilst returning to 1990 or so model specs) would have done nicely. Stripey, or sparkly red or something. Gibson need to rediscover their wacky bass attitude.

Probably be hugely collectable in 20 years, on account of very few people buying one.

(I have a couple of Corts lying around - perfectly fine basses but do feel a bit fragile for gigging with.)

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1475569912' post='3146912']
A few custom colour limited runs on Thunderbirds (whilst returning to 1990 or so model specs) would have done nicely. Stripey, or sparkly red or something. Gibson need to rediscover their wacky bass attitude.
[/quote]

I tried, I really did. Had lengthy negotiations with Thomann about custom colours, a Thomann special edition, if you will. Gibson did a Sapphire Blue 'Yamano 2000' edition for a dealer in Japan about 15 years ago, but that seems to be it. (There's an image up on Talkbass, but I can't link to it for some reason.) Gibson said they needed a minimum order of 200 basses in one colour before they'd consider it, so it's really not going to happen. I put this out on a couple of bass groups, one of which was very Gibson-centric and I had a couple of interested parties.

The thing I just don't get is while I appreciate there's huge interest in guitars, Gibson seem to be able to just spew forth Les Pauls and SGs in a myriad of colours, whereas Thunderbirds just seem to be sunburst, black or ivory/white. Would it really be so much hassle to slip a few basses through when they have some solid colours in production? Probably not, because they're f***ing asshats, that's why.

Funny how Epiphone manage to manufacture really good stuff like the Jack Casady bass, the Allen Woody bass and the various active and passive variants of the Thunderbird, yet Gibson just manage to come up with dullsville time and again.

Just....boring, and lacking in any sort of real style.

Manages to be nothing at all.

Has anyone actually played one?

What if the neck is just what you like. What if the sound is just what you have been looking for?

They look pretty much like most basses to me, what do you expect them to look like?

Me? I think most Fenders looks bulky and head heavy. No accounting for taste, eh?

Other than the headstock is the wrong way round, and it has a set neck it reminds me of some Peavey basses (of which I own a few) . Given that the Peavey basses are made with 'quality' wood and fetch as little as £100 used I think I will pass on this Gibson bass. In the interests of being non-partisan, I have owned two Gibson basses and currently my SG bass is my 'get to go' implement.

To be honest, the more i look at them i just feel sorry for anyone willing to actually purchase one of these.

The original EB bass was about ~£600-£750 and came with the new hardshell cases.
The new EB is exactly the same all bar the new shape and comes with a gigbag for ~£300 more....

wh-what?! how does that even make sense? :dash1:

I think they look a bit generic but look like a decent bass ergonomically at least. Not sure they will sell that well they have no real stand out features.

Gibson really should just have the eb(sg)and thunderbird maybe the lp bass too, as that's there iconic designs. And they stand out. Are they leaving the eb and thunderbird to Epiphone?
I must say I love the epiphone thunderbird classic but its pretty much a Gibson anyhow same materials nearly the same construction same pickups same woods etc etc.
I would love it if epiphone did the same to the eb basses and made them nearly exactly like the gibson ones instead of the rubbish eb they sell now. Although some would argue the gibson eb0 basses were also rubbish I guess.

If I was gonna design a bass in today's market it would have to be something that made a statement if it tanked ok least I tried but it looks like gibson have not put much effort into the design at all.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1476028149' post='3150558']
The original EB bass was about ~£600-£750 and came with the new hardshell cases.
The new EB is exactly the same all bar the new shape and comes with a gigbag for ~£300 more....
[/quote]

Hard to judge on that though. The original EB bass was crushingly ugly, whereas this one is just a bit generic, so I suppose being 50% more expensive makes sense. The idea of spending 600 on one of those originals is beyond crazy to me, but I know that taste is random!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1476040884' post='3150766']

Hard to judge on that though. The original EB bass was crushingly ugly, whereas this one is just a bit generic, so I suppose being 50% more expensive makes sense. The idea of spending 600 on one of those originals is beyond crazy to me, but I know that taste is random!
[/quote]

Being honest, they were a shape of their own and oddly grew on me. I think for a lot of reasons, they were a really good bass: for example, being light material and hardware basses are useful to those with back problems. Good pickups and electronics. I don't know about justifying 50% on an already expensive instrument (albeit, to the likes of myself) just doesn't seem right or fair.

I do appreciate where you're coming from though and the "embassy" shape is more palletsble than the old EB shape but what's wrong with having both? They make barely any basses anyway other than the Tbird and SG whilst the old shapes come and go but with poor features (imho)

im going off Gibson thick and fast anyway which is a shame as I did adore them at one point but better basses out there

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1475162296' post='3143623']
Gawd. Reissue the Victory or GTFO.
[/quote]

+1

They should embrace their innovative products of yesteryear, and reissue small numbers of faithful recreations, with larger volume cheaper, modern, less accurate versions. E.g. a Gibson Triumph or a Gibson RD Artist with all original style electronics - then a cheaper version with similar asthetic but much more generic electrics.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1476131943' post='3151686']
+1

They should embrace their innovative products of yesteryear, and reissue small numbers of faithful recreations, with larger volume cheaper, modern, less accurate versions. E.g. a Gibson Triumph or a Gibson RD Artist with all original style electronics - then a cheaper version with similar asthetic but much more generic electrics.
[/quote]

I'd really like to see a 20/20 reissue.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476038031' post='3150725']
I think they look a bit generic but look like a decent bass ergonomically at least. Not sure they will sell that well they have no real stand out features.

Gibson really should just have the eb(sg)and thunderbird maybe the lp bass too, as that's there iconic designs. And they stand out. Are they leaving the eb and thunderbird to Epiphone?
I must say I love the epiphone thunderbird classic but its pretty much a Gibson anyhow same materials nearly the same construction same pickups same woods etc etc.
I would love it if epiphone did the same to the eb basses and made them nearly exactly like the gibson ones instead of the rubbish eb they sell now. Although some would argue the gibson eb0 basses were also rubbish I guess.

If I was gonna design a bass in today's market it would have to be something that made a statement if it tanked ok least I tried but it looks like gibson have not put much effort into the design at all.
[/quote]

Never really taken much account of Gibbo basses as they've never been my thing. However reading the various comments re the Epi basses, I wonder if there's a bit of a "Those Japanese Squiers are three times the vfm of the US product Fender are churning out, especially when you compare the prices" time warp thing going on right now...?

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1476275633' post='3152895']
Never really taken much account of Gibbo basses as they've never been my thing. However reading the various comments re the Epi basses, I wonder if there's a bit of a "Those Japanese Squiers are three times the vfm of the US product Fender are churning out, especially when you compare the prices" time warp thing going on right now...?
[/quote]

Not really, it isn't a cost thing, it is more a Gibson don't make these models sort of thing. Although if Epiphone are, I guess it shouldn't matter.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1476038031' post='3150725']
[/quote]

Really? Only the Classic-IV PRO is anywhere near close to the [i][b]current[/b][/i] Gibson version of the Thunderbird, the others are all different construction (bolt-on necks) and different woods, hardware and electronics. Even then the current Gibson Thunderbird has little in common with the original from the 60s other than the basic shape.