Why become a member? ×

Gibson try again for the nth time

neepheid

I thought I'd preempt the barrage of abuse ;)

Gibson appear to be trying again to make basses. Once again, they have not seen fit to come up with anything resembling a model name, it's the 2017 New EB bass. Available in 4 and 5 string varieties (and lefties, I read somewhere), in the oh-so-exciting choice of natural or vintage sunburst. Set neck, swamp ash/maple/rosewood, EB humbuckers, blah blah blah

Here are some pics before you die of boredom:

Me personally, I'm finding it difficult to get excited about it. They look to me like most other generic "modern" styled basses (save for the headstock, which appears to be carried across from the NR Thunderbird) and they appear not to have implemented the coil split this time which was one of the things that made the EB (2013-14) interesting. Keen pricing for a USA made bass, I guess (with caveats - unfilled ash "satin" finish (which I can't say I'm a fan of) and gig bag, not hard case), but I think I'd rather set fire to £400 than buy one of these new - it'll be more spectacular and have a similar monetary effect.

So I'm still looking for that post 1973 basket-case EB-3L to restore then (or another G-3, I miss mine), because I just don't care enough about this one to bother, it just doesn't grab me. It's just not very Gibson-y. Yes it has a set neck and a Gibson-y headstock but from the head down, it's just ... OK. Just OK is never a word I would use to describe the Gibson basses of the past - there's always been something distinctive, noteworthy or downright bonkers about them - from the Moog electronics in an RD Artist to the three layer body sandwich of a Money/latter Les Paul Double Cut to the sidewinder pickups and passive mid control of a Ripper to the distinctive body shape of any Thunderbird.

I suppose I'm expected to be grateful they're making any basses at all. Trouble is it's starting to feel like giving them a medal for remembering to breathe.

OK Basschat, I'm done, I just remembered to breathe in time, go me! Over to you. Send medals.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1475151851' post='3143474']
Those bridges alone are upwards of £70
[/quote]

OK, £270 then.

I'm not talking about the actual cost, I'm saying that it looks like any one of hundreds of generic £250 basses you can get on Ebay.

Edited by RhysP

I noticed these on the Anderton's website the other day.

£850 for a four stringer.

If they are USA made then that's pretty cheap for a Gibson anything.

I still wouldn't touch one with someone else's, but I imagine some people looking for a 'brand' bass may well be tempted.

Edited by Cato

I'm fairly certain that none of Henry's people read these pages, but that bass is pretty horrific (although they're guaranteed a couple of sales in Germany, at least).

Just find it a little sad really; Gibson may argue they're being innovative, but no, not really. They either have no ideas or a design team that it constantly told 'no'.

If there's one positive, it's actually that the 2017 EB makes the EB from a couple of years back nice looking by comparison.

Just another bass shaped object - sad really. Look at all the quirky/different designs they've come up with in the past & now they're bringing out another boring GL-tribute/Ibanez/Cort nothing bass.

Hopefully it will sound & play amazingly well & so do well but without hearing one; the headstock would draw me in then when I look down at the body I'd just walk past...

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/media/large/8/f/a/29f4a0ce83963c90d6aa5caae1985.jpg

Well I'm going to disagree with you all. I quite like it! It reminds of the Gibson Bunny Brunell which seemed to have been made for about a week but is played by Kyle Eastwood (see link above for photo). Maybe slightly less pointed horns and simplified controls, but I'd be willing to give it a go.

Edited by Grahambythesea