Why become a member? ×

What was the first bass you had GAS for?

ianrendall

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1475149600' post='3143433']
A LPB P bass like Steve Harris's.
[/quote]

Actually!
That was the first. Seeing photos of 'arris in the Live After Death booklet with the blue bass was a couple of years before Newsted and the Wal.

But I have a Blue Sparkle Steve Harris P now.

Probably a BC Rich Warlock or Mocking Bird.

I was very metal back then.

I actually wouldn't mind a Mocking Bird now, beautiful looking basses, though I'd probably go for a natural finish rather than the late 80s/early 90s neon-crackles-on-a-black-background that I fancied then.

As a spotty 14yr old back in 1989, definitely a Yamaha Attitude when I first saw the picture of Billy Sheehan with it in Guitarist magazine. Which me and my mate used to read on our laps sitting at the back of our Maths lesson.

Never did manage to get may hands on a version 1 Attitude, but I do own a Black Ltd2 and also a Blue ltd3. Also previously bought and sold a seafoam green ltd2.

Black Stingray 5, I thought - still love the look, but when I had the chance to try one it didn't feel right. Hands-on, love at first touch, my dearly beloved GMR 5. I do now also have two black Jazzes and a black Vintage acoustic bass and a black Faith Venus (my very first ever guitar) so I guess something has stuck :)

Maybe now that I know how to play a bit I should try a Stingray again? I love Victoria Smith's bass (and I'd love to be able to play as well as she does). No, no, stop me, please. I don't need a second mortgage.

A Gibson EB3 because Jimmy Lea of Slade played one.
I did get one, kinda, it was my first bass, I still have the receipt for it from JSG in Bingley, I paid £165 for it but it turned out to be an EBO which had been modded, s/n 907469. I sold it when I needed the cash and later saw it fairly wrecked in a junk shop window in Edinburgh.

Rick 4001. When I first started paying attention to the actual instruments I realised most of my heroes at the time (Lemmy, Geddy Lee, Bruce Foxton etc) played Ricks & got the sort of agressive, bright tone I liked - and they looked cool as f*ck.

Never owned one, quite likely never will - I have several MIJ Fakers that look better, sound great, are better built and don't have any nasty John Hall associations.

Primarily a Wal, Rickenbacker 4001 and a Hofner violin bass.

Bet you can't figure out who's basslines I was learning bass to at the time...

Funnily enough, I was going to pull the trigger on a Wal but never did. Could have kicked myself. I don't really hanker after any of them nowadays... although the Wal would be nice to have in the collection.

Yamaha RBX765a in trans green when I was 16.
I'd been gigging with a pair of Korean Aria Magna series passive 4 stringers for about 18 months but really wanted to try a five string active. Picked up a Yamaha catalogue in a local music store, spotted the RBX in it and spent most of my evenings just staring at it and reading the 5 lines of descriptive text over and over. Saved up my gig money and bought it, loved it and not gigged anything with less than 5 strings since. Wish I still had it but eventually traded it against my Warwick corvette which I've now had for about 17 years.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1475237491' post='3144276']
Primarily a Wal, Rickenbacker 4001 and a Hofner violin bass.

Bet you can't figure out who's basslines I was learning bass to at the time...

Funnily enough, I was going to pull the trigger on a Wal but never did. Could have kicked myself. I don't really hanker after any of them nowadays... although the Wal would be nice to have in the collection.
[/quote]

Geddy Lee?

The Ricky in the covers band my bigger brother played in when I was a kid was what first hooked me on bass. So that was my first bass lust. Still love the look and sound of a Rick. Little did I know then that I'd hate how they felt to play.

Then there was Neil Murray's SB900 back in the Whitesnake days. A huge influence on my choice of first bass... see in the signature below...!