Why become a member? ×

What was the first bass you had GAS for?

ianrendall

Rickenbacker 4001S

Massive Chris Squire fan in my teens (still am). As a 17 year old in 1973 I borrowed all the cash from several family members (none of whom knew I borrowed from the others) and travelled from Warwick to Wimbledon to buy one in a private sale for the princely sum of £230. Fireglo & gorgeous, the bass was only a few months old. Sadly I never did it justice (only in dreams) and finally sold it about 15 years ago.

A Fender Power Jazz Bass Special in Candy Apple Red. I was 13 I think. I still have the magazine clipping too! It took me over 15 years odd to finally getting one. It's serial matches the magazine clipping year too by coincidence. I've since upgraded it with a sexy flip paint finish, EMG pickups and a Glockenklang 3 band preamp. It's a great little bass and it isn't going anywhere. However a second one has recently joined the flock and it is a stunning example that will probably get some sort of update treatment too.

Somewhat humorously I think I got the first one around 2007 time, I'm not sure - Anyway, it never gigged until this year!

A black Fender Precision with a maple neck that hung on the wall in Woodroffes music shop in Brum, circa 1977/78.

I used to get the train from Cov to Brum just to go and look at it. Woodroffes was a bigger store than Coventry music shops, where the staff in the latter were an elitist nightmare to beginners at the time.

Woodroffes, on the other hand, were as friendly and welcoming as they could possibly be...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1475586751' post='3147106']
An Axe bass as advertised in the pages of Kerrang...
[/quote]

My first bass.

They weren't too bad actually, inch high action and noisy back pickup aside.

I remember going up to London, aged around 15 and saw a white, with black edging, Rickenbacker 4001.
I'd never felt that ache to have it, before or since.
It was so out of reach, financially.
Got one, 4 years later.
It was all I'd wanted.
Great bass.

Edited by grayn

Fender Precision when I was about 18 and had New Model Army 'Thunder and Consolation' album.

The inside cover had a pic of the back of a P bass headstock and I fell in love.

I eventually got my first P at 19 and still have it. I traded a pointy headed charvel for it, so a good choice I reckon

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1475237203' post='3144275']
Rick 4001. When I first started paying attention to the actual instruments I realised most of my heroes at the time (Lemmy, Geddy Lee, Bruce Foxton etc) played Ricks & got the sort of agressive, bright tone I liked - and they looked cool as f*ck.
[/quote]

Same! Late 70s went to music shop to buy one, having talked to them about finance scheme before hand on phone.
Got handed the coolest looking red 4001 by the assistant, and ...... was so disappointed, just couldn't get on with it. Just remember leaving depressed, GAS not slaked.

Musician stingray 5 string, over 20 years ago.
It took 5 years to buy one but it's been my main bass ever since.
Many others have come and gone (the Warwick streamer II 5 string is its current well-used and loved stable mate) but it was always the stingray for me.
Watching Flea and Jack Bessany (reef) play them cemented my passion for one.

A Rickenbacker 4001 (seems to be a running theme!)
Got a Fireglo, was so preciouss about it I never actually gigged it... Gollum!
Bought a MM Stingray to gig with and never played the Ric again. Sold it then forgot about it.

If I had the cash I would buy a Mapleglo 4003s though, just because. Never gonna happen now unfortunately.

Aria SB-R60 in Paduak red...never meet ya hero's, lovely to look at, nice enough to play, but no zing factor for me.

Stingray in Trans-Orange, lovely thing but the E string was a tad quiet and the neck was bit P bass for me

Yamaha RBX4-A2......everything I hoped for.