Why become a member? ×

What was the first bass you had GAS for?

ianrendall

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1475139173' post='3143289']
Warwick Streamer Stage 2. Played one years later and really didn't like it.
[/quote]
Ohh I forgot my early GAS for a Warwick Corvette Std! My parents owned a sheet music shop at the time, and in 1996 we went to a music trade show where Warwick were exhibiting. Got talking to Norman Benezra and he would have let me have a German Corvette for the trade price of £420. I ummed and ahh'd but really needed an amp as I didn't have one at the time. Ended up with a Laney 30w combo. Could kick myself.
Same with the Jaydee. Local shop had a used one, with all the bells and whistles for £600. Again, kicked thyself buttock'ly.

Jetglo 4001, a la Geddy. Got one for my 16th birthday, after some epic paper-rounding :D

Loved it, it was the best thing ever. Naturally I sold it a few years later for a song to get something silly, so I got another a couple of years ago. Hated it. :(

A Jaydee Supernatural. It was the late 80's. I camped out outside the Bass Centre in Wapping for 2 nights waiting for them to open on a Monday to get the yellow one they had in a January sale. Back then that area was rough as f*ck. The bass was £400, half price and well worth braving the cold and Wapping for. I had the cash in my back pocket and in my jacket I had the leg from a mic stand ready in case anyone tried to mug me. Some cops from the nearby station pulled up on the first night wondering what I was doing. Once I'd explained why I was there they let me come to the station day & night for free coffee refills in my flask. It all worked out fine and I got the bass.

Edited by ratman

Nothing fancy, I had always liked Stingrays because of Flea and Tim Commerford's earlier sounds, but I knew I couldn't afford one. When Sterling brought out the Sub Ray4, I saw it and began to GAS relentlessly. Once they brought them out in blue, I simply had to get one, and I did. And it's my main bass - ahead of my Am Std Jazz.

I started playing bass in the late nineties, my first GAS was for an Ibanez Soundgear (i wouldn't mind about the model or specs at that time) but soon replaced as i saw a Yamaha TRB5PII online. 10 years later, straight out of college and in my first paying job i joined Basschat with the sole intention of contacting a member who was selling my current bass (and it came to stay).

Again, another case of BC comming to the rescue ;)