Why become a member? ×

How can I increase string tension on my bass?

zawinul

I had this problem with my Sterling Sub Ray 4. I temporarily tuned it a bit higher in pitch, which worked a treat for playing alone, but if you're in a band situation it's no use.

I was using lower tension strings, and when I changed them (to a different brand, higher tension but the same gauge) the problem went away.

Drop £20 on a new set of higher-tension strings, and all will be fine. :)

If you really must keep exactly the same gauge, you could talk to a boutique string winder who will know how to adjust the core(s) in order to create more tension. It will of course be more expensive than just going up a gauge or following the advice above, but it is do-able. Case in point, Newtone Strings actually would me a very special set of strings for my 7 string bass (tuned down to F#) BEFORE any of the 'big' companies were making them available in the Uk - this was of course over ten years ago though. It worked and they managed to get a string not much bigger than a heavy B string to sound out an F#. Needless to say, now the materials are more readily available, then that particular string can have the big gauge it needs to scare guitarists away. Have a chat with D'Addario on here, they will no doubt be able to help in your quest :)

Edited by dood

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1475056115' post='3142607']
Hi Bass Peeps

I only have 2 basses, WHAT I hear you say!!

well I may get more in future, but anyways....

1 fretted Warwick, Boosty signature, huge jumbo frets, set up nicely good string tension... bouncy... strings feel great under the fingers... you knowwhatimean!

The other is a ACG fretless, beautiful handmade bass by the master from Scotland, Alan... BUT i find tension on this bass has more give, a bit more 'baggy' which is good for some things but would like it a bit 'tighter' bit for bounce to the ounce!!

Apart from getting different strings or raising the action which I don;t really want to do, IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO INCREASE TENSION IN THE STRINGS?

cheers bassheads
[/quote]

Have you spoken to Alan?
Just a thought.