Why become a member? ×

What were you doing when you were Eleven years old?

lowdown

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1475056314' post='3142612']
Having no awareness of, or interest in anything to do with music. I can clearly remember having strange, new & interesting feelings towards a girl called Pauline Webster, though.

Yeah - "should [i]of[/i]". Get with the times, Daddio. :P
[/quote]

After all these years I find out that Pauline has been two-timing me - bitch!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1475054797' post='3142590']
Your parents let you drive their car when you were eleven ?
Top parents !!
[/quote]

My dad did exactly that. Not that we were allowed to drive the car freely, but he did argue that one never knows what circumstances might suddenly demand that one of the kids took over the steering wheel.
As a result, both me and my sister were taught to drive when we were eleven years old, and thus learnt to drive before our mother did (she went to an official driving school later).
Our abilities were also used every time we had to tow the car.
Oh, and dad of course was a village bobby... :D

Enjoying the long, hot summer ('76), spending every waking moment on my pushbike arsing about with my mates (apart from skool daze, of course), scrumping and playing knock-down ginger and all the other stuff you do when you're 11. I didn't really have any remote interest in music until 1978/79, when 2-Tone changed my life.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1475070436' post='3142786']
I got an electric guitar when I was 11. Christmas 1979. I wanted to be Paul Weller I never did manage to learn how to play it. It was a Squire Strat. I sold it for £60 in about 1987.
[/quote]

Interesting. There were no Squier Strats before 1982. Possible accident involving a contraceptive & a time machine? :D

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1475146588' post='3143393']
Interesting. There were no Squier Strats before 1982. Possible accident involving a contraceptive & a time machine? :D
[/quote] Well that is interesting. I was so sure it was when I started senior school I got it. I must have got the dates wrong in an effort to sound cool on a bass forum :P. I know i was still at school anyway :) As it must have been an early one, whenever I got it, I wonder if they are worth anything and i made a mistake selling it.

At age 11 if I saw a bass guitar I'd have thought it was a violin or summat. Had zero interest in music then and that would remain the case for the next five years! I was getting wayward then and would've probably been either nicking traffic cones, trying out cider or dousing Airfix planes, in paraffin, lighting them and then launching them out the bedroom window. Not my bag but that lad's very good though. Kudos.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1475148438' post='3143418']
Well that is interesting. I was so sure it was when I started senior school I got it. I must have got the dates wrong in an effort to sound cool on a bass forum :P. I know i was still at school anyway :) As it must have been an early one, whenever I got it, I wonder if they are worth anything and i made a mistake selling it.
[/quote]

Not sure about Strats, but JV Squier basses can fetch more than USA Standards on the used market. So yes, you should have kept it! :D

1972. Playing the piano, badly. Making Airfix models. Discovering The Beatles & Slade for the first time after an upbringing on mostly classical music. First tryout for my long and committed relationship with smoking fags would've been around this time. Also around now was when I first got (properly) pissed. The on-set of a misspent youth beckoned...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1475155024' post='3143513']
Not sure about Strats, but JV Squier basses can fetch more than USA Standards on the used market. So yes, you should have kept it! :D
[/quote]

Wot he said. Same, to a slightly lesser extent, if it was an SQ, E or A serial...

1957. Moved from Cornwall to Surrey, started Grammar School and was encouraged to learn to play the trombone, rather badly.

Rock 'N' Roll was just a the latest music fad, of no interest to me, disliked by my parents and anyway it was bound to be replaced by some newer fashion.

Fortunately it wasn't, however it took another 3 years for it to click and another 2 years for it to make an everlasting impression when seeing Little Richard live.

Out with the trombone and enter the electric bass.