Why become a member? ×

Show us your Bitsas!

rushbo

Here's mine, put together in 2007.

Body: early 90s Encore (which I had already). Plenty of dings and buckle rash. Under the factory black paint, there's a layer of red, which gives it some interesting road wear.

Neck: off some low-end Squier. It cost me £22 off Fleabay, but was in a horrible state, filthy, with the lacquer worn away, and with plenty of chips. I stripped it, filled the chips and dings, and refinished it with satin polyurethane. Despite everything, it's perfectly straight and plays wonderfully.

Pickup: second-hand Artec Alnico V, £11.50 from the bay.

Add to that a generic high-mass bridge, a mint green scratchplate, and some decent pots and knobs, and it plays and sounds great.

Edited by threedaymonk
  • Like 1

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1476209532' post='3152388']
'73 Jazz body
Warmoth birdseye maple tele-bass neck
Schaller bridge and M4S tuners
Rio Grande "Muy Grande" pickups
Ki0gon wiring loom

Lovely

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/goat_punisher/media/WP_20160920_004_zpsbkjpttae.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/goat_punisher/WP_20160920_004_zpsbkjpttae.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Reminds me of Matt Sharp's jazz. Very nice indeed!

Here are mine,

One is an unknown P Bass body with a Limelight Jazz width neck, lollipop tuners, Celluloid pickguard, SD Vintage pickup...
The other is a Squier Jazz Bass Body I sprayed gold, Sandberg Bridge, J&D neck and tuners.....

[attachment=232973:IMG_20161130_105838 lr.jpg]

Great thread! I've a 70's RI (A) neck waiting for a body. Think I'm going with a natural Alder body for the 80's John Deacon look. My neck's pocket width is 64.2mm so I'll be looking at an RI body. GuitarBuild do RI pockets which is brilliant but I'm out of sheckles to afford one right now!

Does this count as a bitsa?
I cobbled it together from a load of bits:
Warmoth DinkyP body
Status Jazz neck
Babicz nickel bridge (prototype finish)
Gotoh GB640R aluminium nickel plated tuners
Fender 'original' P pickup
Nickel strap buttons, neck plate, string tree etc
Black chrome skull & crossbones knobs
Strung with d'Addario half rounds - very old and dead
It weighs in around 7lb - I've not been able to weigh it accurately - it hardly registers on the bathroom scales
It wasn't cheap

• 4 years later...

My current, and only, bass, started out like this:

Pict0002.thumb.jpg.3caf1ab076967d8ee96d90cd7be7f473.jpg

A brand-new 2003/4 MIM (both dates on it in various places, 2003 serial). I'd already replaced the guard.

Now, it looks like this:

20210520_131433.thumb.jpg.11369e6484b021a2d86dae67b87eb04e.jpg

Only original bits left are the body, bridge, and knobs! Pickup is an American Standard from 1994, wiring by KiOgon. Neck is a 2014 American Special Jazz. Hipshot lollipops. The tuners were my only error, I wasn't aware when talking to Hipshot that I could have asked for longer shafts at no extra cost.

Then ther was this one, now sold:

IMG_5764131726103.thumb.jpeg.be0dfda4f6498bf2d61116975987077f.jpeg

This is made up of a Squier fretless P body, guard, and wiring, powered by a Seymour Duncan SPB-3 pickup. Bolted to it is a Squier VM77 Jazz Bsss neck, with Wilkinson tuners. I really wish I still had this one...

Not least because it weighed less than 7 pounds...

Apologies for the weird bass face!

Edited by Telebass

The Frankenspector (with my CK-4)... factory reject Spector Performer Classic (the curved body) body and neck, Fretmarker overlays, Gotoh707 tuners, Schaller 3d bridge, EMG40DC's and a Michalik BP4 preamp. And of course "The Dood" - 1991 Samick Squier neck, unknown origin body, Allparts Omega badass clone, Greco Lawsuit Pickups, Wilkinson 70's style tuners.

ck1.jpeg

the dood.jpg

Edited by Nibody
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

My beloved just 28.6" short scale Ibanez Mikro Bass, made up from the unusually light Mahogany body of a Weathered Black finish 2017 Made in Indonesia production GSRM20B Mikro Bass that I instead of sending back decided to fret level with little idea of how to do so, ending up ruining the neck completely, and the Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard outstanding neck from a 2011 Made in China production GSRM20 Mikro Bass that I in similar haphazard impulsive way pretty much ruined the unusually heavy, also Mahogany, body of :

I also pulled out the J pickup and filled out the cavity with a piece of folded black carboard, and swapped the stock P pickup for an EMG Geezer Butler P, wired directly to the regular front mounted output jack socket, installed in one of the redundant pot holes, as opposed to the stock side mounted barrel type jack socket.

Other than that I applied some red and green electrical tape (also known as insulating tape) to the pickup and and remaining two transparent and black knobs, which I replaced the stock ones with, and which are there for exclusively visual reasons, and additionally applied a Jack Skellington (character from Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" animated movie) skull sticker to the body, above the bridge, and a handful of smaller stickers that came with the Sherman Filterbank 2 synth/filter that I owned at some point. 

Respectively most recent shot, and a bit older but much better shot, of my beloved Ibanez Mikro Bass, which I have chosen to name "Dud Bottomfeeder" :

image.thumb.png.5d064f55ddbf164376b2856068d571c9.pngimage.thumb.png.6efc34ba0b8aea0121a9d3419da18a1b.png 

By the way strung with coated Elixir Nanoweb nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036, strung through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings, to not fall through the string mounting holes of the bridge, and tuned to G standard tuning, as in 3 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, basically making it tenor bass guitar (I am aware this is an oxymoron, but non the less that is the correct official term for a 4 string bass guitar tuned A to C (among others Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten makes frequent use of basses tuned this way), I assume rather named after it's similarities with a tenor guitar (which also features just 4 strings, but usually tuned higher and usually also featuring a shorter scale than a regular guitar), rather than the frequency range it covers, in that aspect though really making it closer to a baritone guitar) tuned down a whole step.

This is my main instrument of choice at the moment.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some unknown old copy Jazz body.  I say old because there wasn't a drilled channel for the bridge earth wire, so it must have had a metal strip for an earth.

Peavey neck lovingly fretlessed by Robin Manton. The fingerboard is a joy.  Armstrong Claymore soapbar humbuckers

Old photos missing - see next post

Edited by fleabag

• 3 months later...