Why become a member? ×

Flatwound Strings for pre-57 P-style

therealting

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1474814260' post='3140702']
I don't think there is a general recommendation, everyone seems to have a different favourite!

If you want a mellower sound than Chromes, I can recommend Pyramid Golds.
[/quote]

I actually just put a set of Golds on but the low E is dead so I've sent them a video to ask about getting a replacement. They are much mellower and certainly on their own sound nice (apart from the E), just wonder if they will have enough definition in a band mix. How have you found them?

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474814749' post='3140706']
I actually just put a set of Golds on but the low E is dead so I've sent them a video to ask about getting a replacement. They are much mellower and certainly on their own sound nice (apart from the E), just wonder if they will have enough definition in a band mix. How have you found them?
[/quote]

I had the same problem with a duff E before, all I did was ring up the shop I purchased them from and they sent me a whole new set. Sorry, can't remember which shop it was, but I'd try that route over making a video and going direct to Pyramid, try dealing with the middle man!

I loved the tone of them but never played them in a band mix, sorry.

I know this is heresy to the vintage purist, but I use nickel rounds on my '57 P single coil which make it purr like a contented pussycat. A warm piano like quality with a little more definition than flats. Very much a personal thing strings!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1474815604' post='3140711']
I had the same problem with a duff E before, all I did was ring up the shop I purchased them from and they sent me a whole new set. Sorry, can't remember which shop it was, but I'd try that route over making a video and going direct to Pyramid, try dealing with the middle man!
[/quote]

I bought them off someone in this forum and he's already helped me out by getting a replacement D string when that one snapped while I was tuning up, so I thought I'd go direct this time to save him the hassle! Thanks though.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474815155' post='3140707']
Pre 57 Precision?

You need La Bella 0760M Deep Talking Bass "Original 1954" flat wound strings..
[/quote]

I've heard those are quite tough on the fingers, and I have issues with my hands as it is. Do they come in a lower tension / smaller gauges?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1474815672' post='3140713']
I know this is heresy to the vintage purist, but I use nickel rounds on my '57 P single coil which make it purr like a contented pussycat. A warm piano like quality with a little more definition than flats. Very much a personal thing strings!
[/quote]

That's what they had on before and they did sound pretty good! Lively with the single coil pickup with lots of definition and actually a bit of grind. As I haven't owned a pre 57 before I thought I'd see what they sound like with flats since I really like flats on my Ps, but I may well return to rounds at some point.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474816284' post='3140723']
I've heard those are quite tough on the fingers, and I have issues with my hands as it is. Do they come in a lower tension / smaller gauges?
[/quote]

There are lots of different sets.

I'd adapt and just lighten my touch. According to Bob Babbitt Jamerson played with a very light RH technique.

The "green" Fender set of flats plays fine in my newly acquired CIJ 51 P, they are also long enough to go through body, if your bridge allows it. I think they have a rather standard mellow/all-round flat attitude (as opposed to more peculiar Rotosounds) and are not expensive at all.

I slapped them on already one year old, so quite worn in, all strings sound balanced.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1474814749' post='3140706']

[/quote]

I had 2 sets and both of them had really dead E strings

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1474824692' post='3140828']
There are lots of different sets.

I'd adapt and just lighten my touch. According to Bob Babbitt Jamerson played with a very light RH technique.
[/quote]

I'll check them out. It's more my LH that's an issue really. Tendinitis I imagine.

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' timestamp='1474825216' post='3140838']
The "green" Fender set of flats plays fine in my newly acquired CIJ 51 P, they are also long enough to go through body, if your bridge allows it. I think they have a rather standard mellow/all-round flat attitude (as opposed to more peculiar Rotosounds) and are not expensive at all.

I slapped them on already one year old, so quite worn in, all strings sound balanced.
[/quote]

Forgot about those! I have a set on my Yamaha Attitude Special, they're pretty good and I remember them being REALLY cheap too.

For me, there is no specific string type that works best with a vintage P, or any bass. I personally don't like flats at all, I find they have a lack of precision (no pun intended), a lack of flexibility, I don't find they respond to my fingering at all (to be fair, this could be more about my ability than the string though!). I do have flats on my rarer basses, as it protects the original frets, and I don't play them for hours on end, certainly not long enough for them to annoy me.
All my regular 'players' basses are strung with rounds, I prefer rotosound personally, and can't stand heavy guage ones.

The flats I use are Labella 1954's, I find most flats just too tight though.

I've heard many say that Thomastiks are a lot slacker though, and may suit me better, I just haven't got round to trying them yet.

I'd recommend using what feels right to you, not pursue a particular string that you think would suit this type of bass.

For info, my '58 has roto rounds, and my '55 has Labella '54 flats.

Good luck trying stuff out though, it's all good fun!

I found the tension on Chromes quite hard going and the string gauges are quite a bit thicker than your average rounds. They didn't fit through the nut comfortably, but this probably wouldn't be a problem with a'57 P. However you might like to try LaBella low tension flats. A lot easier on the fingers, fit a narrower cut nut and I think have a bit more zing to them, although you may be looking more for that thud sound of the 60's!