Why become a member? ×

Fender, Musicman and G&L basses

darkandrew

I had a L2000 Tribute for about a year. Wonderfully versatile tonally, well built (a touch heavy but no bad thing in a bass) and people commented on how good it sounded. However, having played a J Bass for more than 30 years, I really couldn't get on with the neck. It was flat and wide and just didn't suit me. I really tried to get on with it - it was much more versatile than my Jazz and perfect as one instrument to cover all the basses (pun intended) and saved me taking more than one instrument out with me. Eventually, I gave up and got an active P Bass Special, which feels like my Jazz and covers what I need. I have to admit it doesn't have quite the tonal range of the G&L, but it's got enough. Sold the G&L. Shame. It was a great instrument, but just not for me.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1474659492' post='3139745']
I had a L2000 Tribute for about a year. Wonderfully versatile tonally, well built
[/quote]

An L2000 Trinute is the only G&L I've had my hands on. I found all the knobs & switches confusing, and the frets were awful :(

I had a L2000 Tribute for about a year. Wonderfully versatile tonally, well built (a touch heavy but no bad thing in a bass) and people commented on how good it sounded. However, having played a J Bass for more than 30 years, I really couldn't get on with the neck. It was flat and wide and just didn't suit me. I really tried to get on with it - it was much more versatile than my Jazz and perfect as one instrument to cover all the basses (pun intended) and saved me taking more than one instrument out with me. Eventually, I gave up and got an active P Bass Special, which feels like my Jazz and covers what I need. I have to admit it doesn't have quite the tonal range of the G&L, but it's got enough. Sold the G&L. Shame. It was a great instrument, but just not for me.
[/quote]

All the L2000 Tributes come with only the precision (1.75" at the nut) type neck....BUT...with their USA cousins, you have a choice of either the precision or jazz type neck.

Edited by Coilte

[/quote]
Exactly the same experience. It was great in the studio - really quiet electrics - just not a Jazz bass feel. Do miss it though.

Fully paid up dyed in the wool G&L fanboi here. My ASAT may have a myriad of tonal options but I only use 2, pots flat out bass boost on both pickups on, or ditto neck pickup only. Did a session for a producer earlier this month who insists I use it, and he's recorded Miller, Lee and McCartney amongst many others. Leo's earlier progeny seem bland in comparison.

Hmm, nearly always had a G&L in the stable. First a Tribute L-2000, then at various times a Tribute M-2000, an El Toro, and currently have a Tribute SB-2. Trips to Glasgow can be expensive sometimes when you discover that the Tribute SB-2 is available in white and that the neck isn't as super skinny as you suspected :)

They're our secret. The Fight Club of basses, sorry for breaking the first two rules there!

I gig a lot of pretty well known and popular bass guitars. However my G&L ASAT Bass (in Blue Burst) for the money is tge best bass I own.

I bought it used. It's a mint condition ASAT from the 1991. $500.00 with case verification papers.

Really a great value.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1474642135' post='3139540']
Fender P
Fender J
Musicman Stingray
MUSICMAN SABRE
G&L L-2000
MUSICMAN CUTLASS
[/quote]

This indeed is sort of correct (I've added a bit) - but it's a little more complex because as Stingray Pete has said, the twin pick up Deluxe version of the Stingray (Musicman Sabre) appeared in 1978.

At that time the firm Musicman was contracting CLF (the factory) to build instruments and amps for them - they were in ongoing dispute about instruments not passing quality control and being returned for correction - it culminated in a whole batch of necks being made with incorrectly shaped truss rods - Musicman sacked the factory CLF and engaged Grover Jackson to build instruments - they (Musicman) eventually went out of business until Ernie Ball bought the company in 1984.

CLF spookily started making G and L instruments around the same time, the initial bass, the L2000 being very similar indeed to the Musicman Sabre.

You don't need to ask me which is my favourite of the list - the Stingray (was afflicted in about 1978/79). I have tried an ASAT and was impressed with feel, look and sound. They are very very good value for money, as are Stingrays.

I have yet to play a pre EB Cutlass (graphite necked Stingray) - the Sabre version (Cutlass 2) must be even more awesome...

Edited by drTStingray

[/quote]

Get a G&L Asat Bass.....Tele body, L2000 electronics & pups, J neck.....best of all worlds and probably the coolest bass on the planet. Only USA basses tho, no Tributes.