Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000E, what a great bass why does no one know about them ?

funkgod

Love my JB-2 (see me waving it in the selfie thread)!

My four-string fretted needs are covered by a P with flats and a J with rounds, but I never liked the look of the Jazz (offset body, metal control plate). Enter the G&L, problems solved!

I also have a hankering for one of their Tele-alikes.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1475244674' post='3144374']
Here's a fun thing for all us G&L fanboys. Not an official creator but quite fun to mock up your ideal G&L B)

[url="http://www.glguitarsgenerator.com/"]http://www.glguitarsgenerator.com/[/url]
[/quote]

fun :)

Just under £1300...

OWWWWWWwwww go on then, It's just so adorable, i can't help showing it off :gas:
I think this 35 year old one is one of only a couple of E series in the uk,

some info on the early L2000E you might find interesting,
Some of this I have not put in the comparison between this and a sabre.

[url="http://basschat.co.u...stant-brothers/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190734-79-sabre-v-81-gl-2000e-not-very-distant-brothers/[/url]

1) The fingerboard on the Early L2000E and some early L2000 is unstained Ebony not rosewood.
2) Leo curved the finger board bottom like he did on the early fender basses see pic.
3) The L2000E had a skunk stripe down the back of the neck on both maple and ebony boards.
4) Leo also went back to the 3 screw tilt neck, From L2000E and then on to the L2000
5) Slot pole pieces, When you move these 90 Deg slot inline with string or across, it sounds different, slightly.
6) The L2000E and for the first year had "Schaller" stamped tuners, with the norm alloy tuning heads to cut down weight.
7) Like the early Musicmans Leo started the serial numbers off from B00...
8) Series 1 pre amps together with the early slot pickups on the early L2000E the OP is huge so were tamed down as were too powerful
i think the transients from the pups were too much and were blowing chips, anyone with info on this ?

EDIT.....
just found this from a post basses from Leo forum... explains "8" a bit better...

"The first E's had a preamp that did not allow the treble knob to function when the bridge pup is solo'ed. This was due to the early E preamps' chip not being able to handle the hard transients generated by the MFD's. The second generation E preamp was slightly tweaked with capacitors, and allowed the treble control to function in all positions,including the bridge pup solo'ed. E's and later L2000's all used the same preamp from early 1982 to 1992.

Sound differences? Second-gen preamps sound clean and deep, adding big lows and highs that are not harsh or tinny. The bottom end on first-gen preamps can knock down buildings. Nothing sounds as mammoth as a first-gen E in OMG mode, and add in slot pole pickups, you can adversely affect the sperm count of the first 20 rows"
Thanks El tookay.

[attachment=228966:IMG_0992.jpg]
[attachment=228973:IMG_0995.jpg]
[attachment=228967:IMG_1000.jpg]
[attachment=228968:IMG_1002.jpg]
[attachment=228969:IMG_1010.jpg]
[attachment=228970:IMG_1003.jpg]
[attachment=228971:IMG_1005.jpg]
[attachment=228972:IMG_0994.jpg]
[attachment=228974:IMG_1004.jpg]

Edited by funkgod

I have fretted and fretless US L2500's that I use for most gigs. Great sounding solid punchy basses and I love them almost as much as my Wal.

Was in a guitar shop in Ayr that had an M & an L series Tribute in and tried the M, which was fine but despite what others say about the Tribs being as good as the US ones I still prefer my US. It didn't help that after the M I had a noodle on the Wal Geddy they had in and there was just no comparison.

Probably their biggest problem is price point for the US models, whose RRP is getting on for 4 x the Tribute. If the Tribs really are the virtual equal of the US version, what, really, is the point of getting a US, particularly if it's not going to hold its value?

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1475252543' post='3144484']
OWWWWWWwwww go on then, It's just so adorable, i can't help showing it off :gas:
I think this is one of only a couple of E series in the uk,

some info on the early L2000E you might find interesting,
Some of this I have not put in the comparison between this and a sabre.

[url="http://basschat.co.u...stant-brothers/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190734-79-sabre-v-81-gl-2000e-not-very-distant-brothers/[/url]

1) The fingerboard on the Early L2000E and some early L2000 is unstained Ebony not rosewood.
2) Leo curved the finger board bottom like he did on the early fender basses see pic.
3) The L2000E had a skunk stripe down the back of the neck on both maple and ebony boards.
4) Leo also went back to the 3 screw tilt neck, From L2000E and then on to the L2000
5) Slot pole pieces, When you move these 90 Deg slot inline with string or across, it sounds different, slightly.
6) The L2000E and for the first year had "Schaller" stamped tuners, with the norm alloy tuning heads to cut down weight.
7) Like the early Musicmans Leo started the serial numbers off from B00...
8) Series 1 pre amps together with the early slot pickups on the early L2000E the OP is huge so were tamed down as were too powerful
i think the transients from the pups were too much and were blowing chips, anyone with info on this ?

EDIT.....
just found this from a post basses from Leo forum... explains "8" a bit better...

"The first E's had a preamp that did not allow the treble knob to function when the bridge pup is solo'ed. This was due to the early E preamps' chip not being able to handle the hard transients generated by the MFD's. The second generation E preamp was slightly tweaked with capacitors, and allowed the treble control to function in all positions,including the bridge pup solo'ed. E's and later L2000's all used the same preamp from early 1982 to 1992.

Sound differences? Second-gen preamps sound clean and deep, adding big lows and highs that are not harsh or tinny. The bottom end on first-gen preamps can knock down buildings. Nothing sounds as mammoth as a first-gen E in OMG mode, and add in slot pole pickups, you can adversely affect the sperm count of the first 20 rows"
Thanks El tookay.

[attachment=228966:IMG_0992.jpg]
[attachment=228973:IMG_0995.jpg]
[attachment=228967:IMG_1000.jpg]
[attachment=228968:IMG_1002.jpg]
[attachment=228969:IMG_1010.jpg]
[attachment=228970:IMG_1003.jpg]
[attachment=228971:IMG_1005.jpg]
[attachment=228972:IMG_0994.jpg]
[attachment=228974:IMG_1004.jpg]
[/quote]

Cracking, I like the earlier ones without the eye gouger too although it does look ok with the 5 string layout. I do wonder why he went three bolt though it was never great all THREE times he tried it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1475269162' post='3144690']
Cracking, I like the earlier ones without the eye gouger too although it does look ok with the 5 string layout. I do wonder why he went three bolt though it was never great all THREE times he tried it!
[/quote]

Hi pete yea bit of a strange one that,
just wondering if he change to 4 bolt while he was still working there ?
i have an 81 an 83 and an 87 all with 3 bolt necks
i think he died in 91,
so prob stayed with that design till the end

Funny enough non of them have that nasty dead spot about C# , D, on the Gstring
all 3 are clear as a bell there with long sustain, ,,,,,
mmmmmmmm, maybe something there.... mmmmmmmm

edit... just checked he died March 21, 1991...
So..... who has a 1991 G&L ???
might be worth checking the date it was made :)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1475268651' post='3144686']
Was in a guitar shop in Ayr that had an M & an L series Tribute in and tried the M, which was fine but despite what others say about the Tribs being as good as the US ones I still prefer my US
[/quote]

How long ago was this? Also which guitar shop? I'm in the market for a 5 string G&L and would be great to try one before hand! Didn't think many places in Scotland would carry G&L

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1475272056' post='3144712']

How long ago was this? Also which guitar shop? I'm in the market for a 5 string G&L and would be great to try one before hand! Didn't think many places in Scotland would carry G&L
[/quote]

Wal not for sale in the window? Sounds like Ayr Guitar to me.

Kenny's in Glasgow has been known to have Tributes (I got my Tribute SB-2 there).

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1475272056' post='3144712']
[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1475274448' post='3144740']
Wal not for sale in the window? Sounds like Ayr Guitar to me.

Kenny's in Glasgow has been known to have Tributes (I got my Tribute SB-2 there).
[/quote]
It was indeed Ayr Guitar, and the weekend before last. Had an M an L series Tribute in...and the Wal :gas:

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1475268651' post='3144686']
I have fretted and fretless US L2500's that I use for most gigs. Great sounding solid punchy basses and I love them almost as much as my Wal.
[/quote]

hi wal man, yep, i have said it before that my L2000 is the closest thing i can get to my wal in terms of power, it has not got the range but all main freq that i use on the wal is about there on the G&L and its as punchy and tight sounding, my wal is heavy and i like heavy basses, my red 83 L2000 is swamp ash and that weighs a ton but sounds the mutz nutz and a joy to play.

good shout needphreid and walman
L2500 and L2000 for sale in Scotland

[url="http://ayrguitar.com/products/guitars/?type=bass"]http://ayrguitar.com...tars/?type=bass[/url]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1475323026' post='3145027']
There's a L2000 lefty on eBay that I'm watching, looks lovely.
[/quote]
Yes that does look really nice. Lovely grain

Note: I still have a couple of mine on sale on here at the moment. I am not sure how much longer though as I have been enjoying playing them this afternoon. I have been comparing them all. Of course it ends up that they are all different but good :) The L2000 is a cracker though, such an easy bass the play and it sounds great. I'm now thinking I should keep my L1505 as if I go any lower it will be down to the price of a Tribute.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1475336615' post='3145181']

Yes that does look really nice. Lovely grain

Note: I still have a couple of mine on sale on here at the moment. I am not sure how much longer though as I have been enjoying playing them this afternoon. I have been comparing them all. Of course it ends up that they are all different but good :) The L2000 is a cracker though, such an easy bass the play and it sounds great. I'm now thinking I should keep my L1505 as if I go any lower it will be down to the price of a Tribute.
[/quote]
So I wouldn't regret it if I bought it, it's too far away to go and try it out

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1475338085' post='3145194']
So I wouldn't regret it if I bought it, it's too far away to go and try it out
[/quote]
Nope you wouldn't it's lovely. The reason for selling is that I play 5 strings so don't play it other than at home, I could do with some dosh,
I am so impressed I would like a L2500.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1475343093' post='3145253']

Nope you wouldn't it's lovely. The reason for selling is that I play 5 strings so don't play it other than at home, I could do with some dosh,
I am so impressed I would like a L2500.
[/quote]
Cheers pinball, spose I'll have to buy it now, man have you got me in trouble.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1475422083' post='3145770']
Cheers pinball, spose I'll have to buy it now, man have you got me in trouble.
[/quote]
Good timing as the price just dropped. If you pm me I'll put it on hold we can discuss details

Anyway she will never notice if you put it in a dark corner

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1475423875' post='3145783']

Good timing as the price just dropped. If you pm me I'll put it on hold we can discuss details

Anyway she will never notice if you put it in a dark corner
[/quote]i think we have a cross wire here pinball? I've been watching a Left hand one on eBay ??

• ped changed the title to G&L L2000E, what a great bass why does no one know about them ?