Why become a member? ×

G&L L2000E, what a great bass why does no one know about them ?

funkgod

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474701836' post='3139891']
Don't tell the class D naysayers as he appears to have a great sound with a Genz head, what a fool, if only he knew about all the heft he was missing out on! :D
[/quote]

what does he know? didn't you notice he was using a Barefaced cab? Clearly no idea... :rolleyes:

:P

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1474703181' post='3139906']
I was concerned about the lack of a tone control but my worries were unfounded, I reckon Leo got it right. After a little experimenting and blending of the two volumes, I could get all the tonal variations that I wanted. :)
[/quote]

Hi Gary
how are are you ?

the early L2000 and the L2000E did the same thing in passive mode, no tone just two volumes.
the two outer pots were the same volume, the middle one did nothing.
a strange choice.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1474736322' post='3140156']
Hi Gary
how are are you ?

the early L2000 and the L2000E did the same thing in passive mode, no tone just two volumes.
the two outer pots were the same volume, the middle one did nothing.
a strange choice.
[/quote]

Not too bad now thanks :) Hope you're doing ok.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1474703181' post='3139906']
I was concerned about the lack of a tone control but my worries were unfounded, I reckon Leo got it right. After a little experimenting and blending of the two volumes, I could get all the tonal variations that I wanted. :)
[/quote]

Yes spot on! Such an easy bass to dial in and sounds so good once you do it. I got mine in a trade and after about an hour knew it was staying. Virtually every time some-one plays it or I take it out I get complements about the tone
I also love the controls and switch system on the L2000. They are simple and effective to use when compared to some other basses I have had. They just sing!

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1474705158' post='3139919']
I don't think Ed Roman's famous rant about G&L build quality helped their reputation much.

"I hereby rescind any positive recommendations I have made regarding G&L instruments. I hereby will no longer recommend the G&L product to my customers. And I will buy back any G&L guitar that was purchased from me within a two year period for full price paid"

He was always something of a maverick but was one of the biggest names in US guitar retailing and offering to buy back any G&L he'd sold was a pretty big knock.

I must admit that we tried stocking them for a while at BassGear and they were very slow moving so we delisted them.
[/quote]

Sounds like a blowhard with a chip on his shoulder to me. The truth usually lies somewhere between the extremes of this guy on one side and slavish fanbois who will stomp on you (in the Internet words sense) if you dare say anything negative about the motherbrand on the other - EBMM forum springs to mind ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1474805825' post='3140606']
Sounds like a blowhard with a chip on his shoulder to me. The truth usually lies somewhere between the extremes of this guy on one side and slavish fanbois who will stomp on you (in the Internet words sense) if you dare say anything negative about the motherbrand on the other - EBMM forum springs to mind ;)
[/quote]

I agree although, unfortunately, Ed R was just about the biggest single guitar shop in the States for a while and probably had more influence on the general public than any of the various web forums.

He was a very extreme character and, of course, isn't around any more to rant on stuff like this.

Funny G&L story - was sound checking at a gig recently with my Tribute SB-2. Sound guy asks for bass and bloomin well gets it - "is that an active bass?" he asks in a slightly confused voice. That made me smile as I told him it wasn't :)

Not always unknown either. Was setting up for a gig a while back (again it was the SB-2) and the sound guy was on stage too wrestling with cables. He sees my bass and says to me "Ahh, a G&L - the thinking man's Fender" - made me chuckle!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1474806130' post='3140611']
I agree although, unfortunately, Ed R was just about the biggest single guitar shop in the States for a while and probably had more influence on the general public than any of the various web forums.

He was a very extreme character and, of course, isn't around any more to rant on stuff like this.
[/quote]

He was also a total crook & was known for selling fakes & forgeries of many high end US guitars & basses.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1474806312' post='3140616']
Funny G&L story - was sound checking at a gig recently with my Tribute SB-2. Sound guy asks for bass and bloomin well gets it - "is that an active bass?" he asks in a slightly confused voice. That made me smile as I told him it wasn't :)

Not always unknown either. Was setting up for a gig a while back (again it was the SB-2) and the sound guy was on stage too wrestling with cables. He sees my bass and says to me "Ahh, a G&L - the thinking man's Fender" - made me chuckle!
[/quote]

:D

The precision pick up on the SB 2 is ...HOT..alright.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1474806859' post='3140621']

He was also a total crook & was known for selling fakes & forgeries of many high end US guitars & basses.
[/quote]

I thought all his copy basses were clearly sold as representations of vintage instruments and not sold illegally?

I know that the Ernie Ball company threatened him with legal action after he was building replacement bodies for some of their guitars (not basses from what I remember) and he made a public statement apologising if anyone thought his replacements were original parts.

I don't remember ever seeing him being formally indicted for anything though and the US is particularly litigious :(

It's true they are really not well-known. Great basses though. I had an L2000 fretless for a few years but it was sadly destroyed in a house fire. Wonderful instrument.

My ASAT bass is basically the same thing in a different shape (oh and with frets). Again, superb. When I bought that about a year ago, I went into the bass shop without an upper limit on what I was willing to spend. The G&L beat rivals costing 2 or 3 times the price (some of which was down to lack of available sounds, but often it was just inferior workmanship and playability).
I tried a Tribute also that day, and was absolutely astounded at how good that was for the money.

I have an ASAT Classic S guitar also. Now that thing is an absolute joy. I know two guitarists who currently are looking to source a G&L on the strength of playing that (one of them wasn't even plugged in).

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1474925596' post='3141611'] http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/kiloton/index.asp Another stingray killer loose. [/quote]

That's an interesting bass. The "emerald blue"/black with maple fingerboard looks very tasty. Hmmm. Kiloton, eh?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474701836' post='3139891']
Don't tell the class D naysayers as he appears to have a great sound with a Genz head, what a fool, if only he knew about all the heft he was missing out on! :D
[/quote]
[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1474711844' post='3139972']what does he know? didn't you notice he was using a Barefaced cab? Clearly no idea... :rolleyes: :P
[/quote]

Naah... those two are for show only. There is a big SVT behind the curtain, plugged into that big heavy 4x10 :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1474994961' post='3142167']
hey, what happened to the amazing post you had before!? :lol:
[/quote]

i edited it, and thought i had posted 2 the same, so i edited 1 of them to the post above only to realise after i pressed
post i had lost it, i was so miffed i could not be bothered to do it again :(
bugger :lol:

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1475009529' post='3142346']
i edited it, and thought i had posted 2 the same, so i edited 1 of them to the post above only to realise after i pressed
post i had lost it, i was so miffed i could not be bothered to do it again :(
bugger :lol:
[/quote]

shame... it was a great one!

• ped changed the title to G&L L2000E, what a great bass why does no one know about them ?