Why become a member? ×

Cliff Williams calls it a day.

Bassman Sam

It's official. Cliff Williams has had enough and is leaving AC/DC. Surely that must be the end or is the 65 year old school boy, Angus, going to recruit various distant relatives to fill the gaps? I hope not. Thanks for all the good times guys but please, RIP.

Edited by Bassman Sam

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1474578300' post='3139041']
AC/DC with Axl were awesome when I saw them in June - even better than with Brian the previous year. I think Cliff's great, but his absence would not stop me going back for more.
[/quote]

I've heard this by numerous people. I was sceptical but they pulled it off by all accounts.

I guess the politics of the band totally change when a **** like that gets involved, so if it is related to axl, I reckon it's to do with things out with the music!

I thought Axl was like a breath of fresh air. Apart from arriving on time(!), and nailing the songs, he looked like he was genuinely having the time of his life and 'living the dream'. (but then, who wouldn't if they got that gig)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1474749276' post='3140283']
It's interesting how many people say that "they" should call it a day now. AC/DC are a global enterprise with offices, secretaries, accountants, private planes and an income to rival the GDP of some small countries. Would Coca Cola or Nike suddenly stop, when they are ongoing successful businesses?
[/quote]

Coca Cola and Nike didn't change the public face of their produce until people didn't recognise them anymore. AC/DC are in danger of doing that.

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1474578300' post='3139041']
AC/DC with Axl were awesome when I saw them in June - even better than with Brian the previous year. I think Cliff's great, but his absence would not stop me going back for more.
[/quote]

I've seen AC/DC 5 times since 1980 and the gig with Axl was the best I've ever seen them (I missed out on the Bon era).
They've still got Stevie Young on rhythm (filled in for Malcolm in the 90's and did Rock or Bust) and Chris Slade on drums (did the Razors Edge and Live at Donnington) - so the band isn't exactly all new. It's just not classic era (show me a band which is).
I'm sure there's a hidden Young relative who can play bass.
And Axl absolutely nailed it. Bring him back. Would love to hear an AC/DC album with him singing. I remember a review of Stiff Upper Lip saying that Brian sounded like an asthmatic goose (and that was over 10 years ago). Also, since when has Brian been so venerated? Up to this year he was always compared, unfavourably, to Bon. Now he's the best singer AC/DC ever had.

I understand they are releasing a DVD of the latest gig with Axl. I'll be first in line (or prebook on Amazon more like) to get that.

Edited by 6feet7

Good for Cliff. Probably the first real opportunity to go since the wheels really started to fall off, and he's taken it.

Not seen them live (not seen them for a good few years now, and I missed seeing Bon, but I've seen them plenty from 1980 onwards), but I've watched an awful lot of footage of AR fronting the band, and I have to say I think he's bloody awful.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1474749276' post='3140283']
It's interesting how many people say that "they" should call it a day now. AC/DC are a global enterprise with offices, secretaries, accountants, private planes and an income to rival the GDP of some small countries. Would Coca Cola or Nike suddenly stop, when they are ongoing successful businesses?
[/quote]

no but then nike et al are not sentient entities and can be forgiven for 'not knowing better' at their age :ph34r: