Why become a member? ×

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

Funky Dunky

Just heard this on t'wireless - what a lovely bass part, particularly the fill leading into the verse. Cracking tone, too - sounds like a fretless for sure.

Apparently, however, it's a synth?? An interview with Alannah revealed it to be a Korg synth with some kind of pitch wheel?

Anyway....really nice. Might have to learn it. Anyone learned it?

Edited by Funky Dunky

I had to dep this the other day... the crucial thing is the drummer gets the heartbeat.
The difficulty of the little frill depends which key you play it in but it also depends if the drummer is up to it which in turn dictates how hard he will make the whole track.
If the drummer has got it, it is mainly a chick song as invaribly every girl singer wants to do it.

On songs like these...bass players get hung up on the fill, when the essense is somewhere else.
No good nailing that fill if the song groove sucks. Check the drummer.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1474395065' post='3137698']
That's the most convincing synthesized bass sound I've ever heard!

[/quote]

It really is! So much so that I'm still not 100% convinced it could have been a synth, in spite of Ms. Myles' testimony! So authentic-sounding. It sounds woody and everything!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1474397240' post='3137738']

Tell you what - they've done a helluva job. Sounds like legit bass to me.
[/quote]

Agreed - I was astonished when I got involved in a past thread on here and was told it was a keyboard. It came on the radio the other day and I listened to it very carefully. Sounds like a Fretless bass to me.

I liken the sound to a slightly warmer fatter version of the sound on the theme to the TV show Bergerac (which sounds like a Fretless Wal or Musicman to me). Even the slides and vibrato.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1474402947' post='3137798']
Tune down a semitone?
[/quote]

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1474381628' post='3137521']
I learned it ages ago and oddly enough came back to it a few weeks ago..lovely line to play - drop tuned to Eb IIRC
[/quote]

Edited by fleabag

I don't care whether it was a synth or not. It's a fretless line. Played this on a dep the other week. It sits nicely under the fingers, not hard at all, you just have to make the groove nice and greasy and away it goes. Cracking simple little line

I haven't heard this track in years but on a quick re-listen, to me it's obvious that the whole rhythm section is synths/samples and sequenced. In fact I suspect all the instruments except the main guitar parts are synths/samples that have been sequenced, and maybe even the acoustic guitar isn't 100% played.