Why become a member? ×

Fretless Guitar - Cenk Erdogan

lowdown

I recall as a kid wondering why guitars didn't come available as fretless models. It's like all the best bits of playing a Violin.. without, you know... being a Violin :) Joking aside, although I have no desire to play one, the Cello has always fascinated me. I love the range and tone of the notes, the techniques that can be employed and I suppose the 'vocal' nature of the instrument. Maybe it's because underneath when I solo or improvise, unless it's a set groove, I want to sound like I am communicating in the same way as speech or singing. Something that I feel is missed often in Bass solos! I play Guitar too and spend plenty of time un-shredding Guitar solos in my workshops. Yeah, it's great to go ballistic but sometimes you want something sublime and musical like the two examples above. Really enjoyed them and will be checking out more of this man's playing.

Thanks Lowdown!

I had always been fascinated by the idea of a fretless guitar and the first and two guitars I made were fretless. The first was not that successful as I didn't manage to radius the fretboard consistently so it was unpreditable to play. The second guitar I made i carved the body and bought a strat style neck and removed the frets. That worked great and I used it in my band for a year or so. I then picked up a Vigier Surfretter from Cash Converters for a song and have had that for a few years and used it a few times live when I was playing in an indian reggae band. I never got anywhere near the standard of the guy in the video but It's something I wish to pursue further when i have more time. For now I will see if I can find some of
[b] Cenk Erdogan's albums[/b]

Thanks for posting. :-)

I loved that guys playing. Stunning work and such a difficult instrument, especially for chord work

Brit nutter Guthrie Govan flirted with a Vigier fretless

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yshLWYjMijo[/media]

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='jonnybass' timestamp='1474580106' post='3139063']
Loved those vids..such a unique tone to a fretless guitar. Wonder why it isn't more popular.
[/quote]

Possibly the time and effort that would go into getting good at it. After all, how many fretted guitar players can you honestly say have good technique ?