Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtwrfjuqfPAhWmJ8AKHWsHA5oQtwIIJTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiyzxpvKlO48&usg=AFQjCNEOCSwFdAQzBEkcV003Sk3J_mIP2w"]http://www.google.co...cV003Sk3J_mIP2w[/url]

Is that blue around 50 seconds in? :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474667019' post='3139817']
You're excused
[/quote]

Thanks. It was getting tiresome. From your tone it looks like I have upset you so don't worry, I wont bothering you again.

The Beatles were a "great little band". For most people, whether at the time or in later years, they brought cheer. I'm glad I'm in that majority.

There are enough things in life to cause unhappiness. Adding entertainers and the folk that like them to the list seems a bit unnecessary but of course, that is just my opinion.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474672963' post='3139845']
No, it was a different bit, the [i]"you had to be there"[/i] is old even by his standards, but it's an oldie that he plays a lot, though not the classic that "You just don't get it" has become.

The one I refer to is about how anyone that ever strapped on a guitar owes it to the Beatles, which must be a bit of a pisser for Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, BB KIng, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all.
After being pulled up about such a gross and repetitive overstatement by our Hiram, Blue later conceded that it was only a fact in his mind.
[/quote]

I wonder if anyone in the music business has ever denied being influenced by the Beatles. And if they did, was it a career ender?

sorry guys I started this tread just before going on holiday, I was being mischievous, mention the Beatles is like lighting the blue touch paper, I retired to a safe distance, just got back and have sped read the 6 pages of the same old arguments. I love the Beatles ( I was born in 1952, doesn't everybody think the music of their youth is the best ever?) and will undoubtedly thoroughly enjoy the film, I've got the Hollywood Bowl live album on vinyl, probably played it half a dozen times, definitely of historical value only

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1474729068' post='3140110']

I wonder if anyone in the music business has ever denied being influenced by the Beatles. And if they did, was it a career ender?
[/quote]

Back in ye olde Punk Rocke days, the vast majority of Popular music was deemed "boring", including The Fabs. A famous and possibly apocryphal tale is that Glen Matlock was booted out of the Sex Pistols for declaring his love for the Beatles, among other things.... If you were the Who, the Kinks, the Stooges, the New York Dolls, the MC5 and Reggae, you were OK. Oh, and Bowie and a bit of Krautrock. But Punk was all about shock and there was nothing more shocking than criticising Monarchy and the Beatles....blasphemy! Heresy! There are a few old skool punx still doing the rounds (Hi Johnny Rotten!) and topping up their pensions. PiL are still well worth seeing. Even though Johnny doesn't like the Beatles...apparently.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1474744958' post='3140240']
Back in ye olde Punk Rocke days, the vast majority of Popular music was deemed "boring", including The Fabs.[/quote]

I was going to suggest that, but then thought it may be fair to say that The Beatles influenced the punks to not be like The Beatles?

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1474742522' post='3140217']
( I was born in 1952, doesn't everybody think the music of their youth is the best ever?)
[/quote]

Nope, not at all. Many kids these days tell me they wish they were our age (1953 here) so as to have experienced the 60s first hand. I enjoyed that at times, but best evah? Nah.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1474744958' post='3140240']
Back in ye olde Punk Rocke days, the vast majority of Popular music was deemed "boring", including The Fabs. A famous and possibly apocryphal tale is that Glen Matlock was booted out of the Sex Pistols for declaring his love for the Beatles, among other things.... If you were the Who, the Kinks, the Stooges, the New York Dolls, the MC5 and Reggae, you were OK. Oh, and Bowie and a bit of Krautrock. But Punk was all about shock and there was nothing more shocking than criticising Monarchy and the Beatles....blasphemy! Heresy! There are a few old skool punx still doing the rounds (Hi Johnny Rotten!) and topping up their pensions. PiL are still well worth seeing. Even though Johnny doesn't like the Beatles...apparently.
[/quote]

I'm guessing that when someone is compiling music industry quotes for the latest Beatles appreciation item everyone has something positive to say! Even Brian Pern :D

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474746025' post='3140246']
I was going to suggest that, but then thought it may be fair to say that The Beatles influenced the punks to not be like The Beatles?
[/quote]if you get chance to hear the Backbeat soundtrack or the Beatles live in Hamburg album (wonder when that'll get the digitally remastered and re-released treatment?), I think you might agree that they weren't a million miles away from punk

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1474747862' post='3140265']
if you get chance to hear the Backbeat soundtrack or the Beatles live in Hamburg album (wonder when that'll get the digitally remastered and re-released treatment?), I think you might agree that they weren't a million miles away from punk
[/quote]

Hamburg Beatles were just all trying to be Gene Vincent from what I gather.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1474748950' post='3140277']
Hamburg Beatles were just all trying to be Gene Vincent from what I gather.
[/quote]and Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc, etc, early punk was influenced by Glam which was very influenced by 50's rock and roll, the Pistols (or Sid) recorded and had hits with a couple of Eddie Cochran songs, the Beatles Hamburg tapes were fast and raw, just like punk

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1474747862' post='3140265']
if you get chance to hear the Backbeat soundtrack or the Beatles live in Hamburg album (wonder when that'll get the digitally remastered and re-released treatment?), I think you might agree that they weren't a million miles away from punk
[/quote]

The Backbeat soundtrack is excellent....and the film ain't bad either. The Fabs had more than a few Punk Rock moments....the whole Hamburg thing, the "Please Please Me" LP being bashed out in a day, Lennon sweating and stripped to the waist while singing "Twist and Shout" through a ragged throat, "I'm Down", loads of the "Get Back/Let It Be" stuff (before it got sanitised for general consumption).....Macca too- recording your first LP on your own using a single mic and then forming a band and playing guerilla gigs for 50p ticket prices in front of students who couldn't believe that they were watching a Beatle. I think that's pretty Punk Rock.

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474701425' post='3139890']
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtwrfjuqfPAhWmJ8AKHWsHA5oQtwIIJTAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DiyzxpvKlO48&usg=AFQjCNEOCSwFdAQzBEkcV003Sk3J_mIP2w"]http://www.google.co...cV003Sk3J_mIP2w[/url]

Is that blue around 50 seconds in? :lol:
[/quote]

Pretty ballsy move for a boy of that age, in the middle of 2 million screaming girls. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0mLoKlqVbE

Maybe some of things articulated here are what BLUE is trying to say about his experience in context, at that time. I get it, but then I have the benefit of being 15 years old in 1963.

And maybe some of the more learned BC'ers might feel able to that expand on the 'common experience' thing that's mentioned.

One of my favourite clips is of McCartney singing 'Back In The USSR' in the USSR some years later. The crowd loved it - the power of music!

Can't wait for the DVD.

I think there were a number of factors which contributed to the 'common experience' thing.

* There was a deeper divide between the musical tastes of younger British people and the rest of the public. The musical generation gap was between teens and everyone else. For example, my parents though in their early 30's aligned themselves - as did their friends - with performers like Sinatra, Glenn Miller and Cleo Laine. Younger people sought out their 'own music'.

* Among teens there was a commonality of understanding simply because anyone interested in pop music was getting the same information from the same very limited number of sources:[list]
[*]Two TV stations
[*]Three BBC Radio channels - one for speech, one (evenings only) for arts / educational and one for 'easy listening' music.
[*]A dodgy radio signal from Luxembourg.
[*]A couple of weekly music papers
[*]Occasional references in the national press to established musical celebrities e.g. Jerry Lee Lewis, Liberace
[/list]
Most of these sources either severely restricted their coverage of 'teen' pop music or condemned it as 'outrageous' or 'juvenile'. On the occasions when media opinion was positive the result was a relatively limited number of performers getting the most coverage. The outcome being that nearly all young people were hearing the same things about the same artists at the same time, resulting in a concentration or commonality of interest.

* The cost of record buying declined steeply at at time when young people began to have greater disposable income. It was now easier to build a record collection.

* Compared to today, listening to music was less of a solitary pursuit. It was common to buy a record and take it round to a friend's house, there to listen in an exclusive little group. In many instances, even the act of [i]buying[/i] a record from a shop was undertaken as a group or social activity.

So: tightly defined group of consumers, badge of identity, lots of interest all focused on the same fairly narrow range of performers, money in your pocket and music getting cheaper, listening to music with one's friends.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474666618' post='3139814']

heck - I guess that means you're [i]really[/i] special!
[/quote]

No, as a matter of fact I thought all 8 year olds were getting into rock and roll at the time.

Nothing special, very normal in my opinion.

Blue

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1474746759' post='3140252']

Nope, not at all. Many kids these days tell me they wish they were our age (1953 here) so as to have experienced the 60s first hand. I enjoyed that at times, but best evah? Nah.
[/quote]

If you were into music and you were born in 1952 you won the lottery ticket of life.

Blue

After a diet of such post-WWII gems like The Billy Cotton Band Show, 2 way Family Favourites and Workers Playtime, baby-boomers like myself looked/listened at/to the USA and just loved the clothes, the music, the films etc. (rose-tinted glasses). We romanticisied a landscape where teenagers, (then a new word), were having fun at drive in movies, (wow), and jumping and jiving. Girls were glamorous pastiches of their film star idols. The guys were cool with hair-styles and panache. And they had COFFEE to drink and something called COCA-COLA! and wore JEANS. I wanted all those exotic things.

We had little money and a bomb-site to play on. GB was broke and in debt. It took us 50 years to pay off the war loans to the USA. My parents generation were stalwart. As a youngster the UK seemed "[i]grey"[/i]. But the promise of adventure and excitement fuelled by a diet of glossy magazines, the cinema and Radio Luxemburg kindled a desire to break out of the conformity and servitude that got us through 2 world wars.

The late 50's to the early 70's saw Jazz, Skiffle and Rock'n'Roll, Beatniks, Teddy-boys and Mods. The questioning of the status quo. The breaking down of old barriers and boundarys. Just thinking differently in discovering that we didn't have to just accept '[i]things[/i]' as they were and that you could be at odds with convention and that can be a good thing.

The Beatles were the epitomy of my generation. In music and words and it seemed gave voice to our aspirations.

Every Beatles LP was different to the previous and eagerly awaited. If not the first to try something new, musically, they brought attention to whatever.

[i]"You had to be there"[/i] - to experience it, yes of course that's true. Since retiring I've taken to reading books on any/all aspects of music and in particular autobiographies. It has certainly changed my perspective, taste and tolerance for the better. Should I discourage utterances from a limited perspective as is so often the case. No, just to say ones tastes/point of view change over time as we revisit old musical favourites. And I keep discovering new things in many including the Beatles. So I've suggested 'Here There And Everywhere' as a new tune to learn for my Jazz quintet. I think it would make a great instrumental for us, I'm pretty sure Chet Atkins did a version. Maybe 'Gotta Get You Into My Life' would sound good too with the horn and sax?

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1474883300' post='3141181']
Maybe 'Gotta Get You Into My Life' would sound good too with the horn and sax?
[/quote]

Sounded good on Cliff Bennet's version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnfl3gNRoK8

Edited by KevB

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1474890167' post='3141231']

The only Beatles cover that I prefer to the original.

(n.b. I said "I prefer" not "is better than". Should save me from a tongue lashing by someone.... hopefully!)
[/quote]

There are some cool covers of Beatle songs.i like Stevie Wonders We Can Work It Out and Otis Redding's Day Tripper.

I never prefer or think they're any better than the original versiont.They're just good covers.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474905933' post='3141423']
There are some cool covers of Beatle songs.i like Stevie Wonders We Can Work It Out and Otis Redding's Day Tripper.

I never prefer or think they're any better than the original versiont.They're just good covers.

Blue
[/quote]the one exception for me is Joe Cockers version of a Little Help From My Friends

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474905933' post='3141423']
There are some cool covers of Beatle songs. <snip>
[/quote]

It was a cover of a Beatles song that got me into bass playing. Heard this song, looked at the album sleeve and thought 'What's that thing?'.

My course was set.

[media]http://youtu.be/UkGXUn0Kuuw[/media]