Why become a member? ×

Wot, no new Beatles film and album thread

PaulWarning

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1474313553' post='3137086']

OK. I'm going to say it then. I don't like the Beatles. But I also don't like anything any of them did individually afterwards either. Whatever their influence I just don't get it or them.
[/quote]

You had to be there, that's why you don't get it. Not liking The Beatles is understandable.

If your standing vertical and playing an electric bass guitar in any kind of rock band you are influenced by The Beatles whether you know it or not and whether you like it or not.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1474362044' post='3137338']
Probably not, because somebody else would've done the groundwork by then. Part of the genius of The Beatles, other than the incredible songwriting and everything else was that they were pretty much making it up as they went along. There was no 'manual' to follow; they were writing the manual. They set the template that every band or artist that has come after has followed, whether directly or indirectly.
[/quote]This.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474392983' post='3137661']
You had to be there, that's why you don't get it. Not liking The Beatles is understandable.

If your standing vertical and playing an electric bass guitar in any kind of rock band you are influenced by The Beatles whether you know it or not and whether you like it or not.

Blue
[/quote]

What is this ' you had to be there' rubbish. I'm not a 20 year old you know. I was young when the Beatles were around but I remember them well - my parents thought they were rubbish because they weren't Mozart so I had to listen to 'pop' radio under my bed covers or in the garden when they weren't around. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now, however wonderful and influential some people think they were. I was a Stones and Who fan. Could we stop this 'You had to be there' crap. You can only use that if you know the other person wasn't there :) I was there, and I only live about 30 miles from Abbey Road.

I would also say that I am more influenced by the American Motown bass players and their ilk. Once again, don't assume you know someones influences.

End of rant. This is getting exactly like that Pino post.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1474368813' post='3137412']
When The Beatles first recorded at Abbey Road, They were not taken that seriously. They where looked down upon by the older generation as disposable kiddies music. As a result the staff didnt try too hard on recording them as they did their seasoned acts on their EMI roster.
It wasnt until they became EMI's golden goose that they where taken seriously.
[/quote]

I am reading a book by session player Martin Kershaw and he states that at the time, Abbey road was just another studio and not the hallowed ground that it is now considered to be.

Me, I love the Beatles especially the first 3 or 4 albums. Poptastic!!

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474392983' post='3137661']

Blue
[/quote]

What about Jet Harris? He was the first real British bass guitarist anyway.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1474320094' post='3137179']
It's strange how the American people knocked back comedy giants like Morecambe and Wise yet have taken appalling, malodorous sub-humans like Ricky Gervais, Russell Brand and James Corden unto their collective bosom there to be rewarded with largesse and adulation.
[/quote]

Please don't forget old ginger nuts herself, Anne Robinson. That the Americans lurve (sic) these "celebrities" is fine, the problem is when they eventually send them back to us. We really ought to have a no returns policy for this sort of thing.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1474400019' post='3137765']
Please don't forget old ginger nuts herself, Anne Robinson. That the Americans lurve (sic) these "celebrities" is fine, the problem is when they eventually send them back to us. We really ought to have a no returns policy for this sort of thing.
[/quote]

Indeed so. It would be entirely feasible for the American government to designate an area of high-altitude Arizona desert as a British Celebrity 'Boneyard' rather like the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, last resting place for several thousand obsolete aircraft.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1474400558' post='3137773']
Indeed so. It would be entirely feasible for the American government to designate an area of Arizona desert as a British Celebrity 'Boneyard' rather like the Davis-Monthan Air Foce Base, resting place for several thousand obsolete aircraft.
[/quote]

I suppose then we'd have to keep Madge?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474392983' post='3137661']If your standing vertical and playing an electric bass guitar in any kind of rock band you are influenced by The Beatles whether you know it or not and whether you like it or not.

Blue
[/quote]

Just because you keep saying that it's not going to be any less BS than the first time you said it. Though to be fair - you were only 8.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1474398866' post='3137750']
I am reading a book by session player Martin Kershaw and he states that at the time, Abbey road was just another studio and not the hallowed ground that it is now considered to be.

Me, I love the Beatles especially the first 3 or 4 albums. Poptastic!!
[/quote]

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-hands-abbeyroad-idUSTRE65A0QH20100611

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1474404885' post='3137831']
I don't think I know a musician personally who has not attempted to play a version of Come Together - I'm guessing many people on this forum will have done despite some of the particular demographics!!
[/quote]

I got to 51 before my current group had Come Together on the set list. I don't really feel either way about it.

Bloody typical. There's me slagging off the Beatles and a new band I'm auditioning for (our local Heart FM radio station are putting together a covers band) want me to learn A Hard Days Night. Arghhhhhhhh

It's Karma (George Harrison would love that :)

Edited by 6feet7

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1474409031' post='3137885']
Bloody typical. There's me slagging off the Beatles and a new band I'm auditioning for (our local Heart FM radio station are putting together a covers band) want me to learn A Hard Days Night. Arghhhhhhhh
[/quote]
Interesting chord at the beginning, apparently...

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1474397249' post='3137739']

What is this ' you had to be there' rubbish. I'm not a 20 year old you know. I was young when the Beatles were around but I remember them well - my parents thought they were rubbish because they weren't Mozart so I had to listen to 'pop' radio under my bed covers or in the garden when they weren't around. I didn't like them then and I don't like them now, however wonderful and influential some people think they were. I was a Stones and Who fan. Could we stop this 'You had to be there' crap. You can only use that if you know the other person wasn't there :) I was there, and I only live about 30 miles from Abbey Road.

I would also say that I am more influenced by the American Motown bass players and their ilk. Once again, don't assume you know someones influences.

End of rant. This is getting exactly like that Pino post.
[/quote]

You indicated you don't like The Beatles and I said that's understandable. I didn't know your age.

Your certainly old enough to understand first hand their place in rock history., Your just not a fan. I get that.

Influences, I still contend that in some way on some level any of us standing vertical with an electric bass or guitar in a rock band have been influenced by The Beatles. It's more if an opinion than fact or assumption.

I don't know or can't say exactly how I've been influenced but I know at some level I have. It might be something as obscure as:

- How I play inside and outside of chord changes.

- Tthe fact, that I didn't know what an electric guitar or bass was until I saw them.

- Maybe it was how I was impressed and amazed how professional their act was.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1474405348' post='3137837']
We get asked for Sex On Fire more than anything by the Beatles at every gig we do.
[/quote]

Could be generational. We play "Come Together" and "Get Back" back to back in our first set and people love it. But we're usually playing to a 60 + crowd.

I don't know what "Sex On Fire" is or who recorded it. I probably should but I don't.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1474404251' post='3137822']

Just because you keep saying that it's not going to be any less BS than the first time you said it. Though to be fair - you were only 8.
[/quote]

It's merely my opinion. And your opinion that my position is BS.I don't take issue with that.

8 years old was a perfect age. My parents purchased "Meet The Beatles" and " Something New" for me. I played those 2 albums 24/7 for weeks on end.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1474418456' post='3137933']

Why? Why did you have to be there? Why is your appreciation better than any others that were not "there"?
[/quote]

I really don't want to say my appreciation is better. I think I'd rather say it's different.

It's very short period of time and difficult to explain.

Blue

Edited by blue