Why become a member? ×

Swapping Speakers

Kevin Dean

If you are just messing around, a quick swap just out of curiosity there'd be no harm in a few minutes at home and with the volume down to reasonable levels but as has been said the mis-matched cab could result in your driver only being able to handle 100watts. Playing at home on your own would also mean a fair chance of hearing any odd noises indicating damage setting in. Frankly if you do it on stage all bets are off unless you have done the calculations. Ask Skidder of this parish who tried it with a 15" speaker a couple of years back.

Guest bassman7755

TBH I'd give up on these various "hacks" your trying to do with your setup and get a cab that does exactly what you want. Maybe trade up your SC to a BB2 or something.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1474124276' post='3135789']
If you are just messing around, a quick swap just out of curiosity there'd be no harm in a few minutes at home and with the volume down to reasonable levels but as has been said the mis-matched cab could result in your driver only being able to handle 100watts. Playing at home on your own would also mean a fair chance of hearing any odd noises indicating damage setting in. Frankly if you do it on stage all bets are off unless you have done the calculations. Ask Skidder of this parish who tried it with a 15" speaker a couple of years back.
[/quote]
Thanks for reminding me Phil.... Yep put a rather expensive 15" ( I think it was about £150?) in an Ahsdown cab, blew it after a few gigs, no comeback whatsoever, never again...
think it was this one or thereabouts
http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIC2515&browsemode=manufacturer

Edited by skidder652003

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1474214453' post='3136275']
Thanks for reminding me Phil.... Yep put a rather expensive 15" ( I think it was about £150?) in an Ahsdown cab, blew it after a few gigs, no comeback whatsoever, never again...
think it was this one or thereabouts
[url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIC2515&browsemode=manufacturer"]http://www.bluearan....de=manufacturer[/url]
[/quote]

Sorry Steve, still I think you've now got the ones you love.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1474231706' post='3136453']
Sorry Steve, still I think you've now got the ones you love.
[/quote]
Ampeg 410 HLF great cab and very happy, although did a small gig last night with just the Mackie Thump 18" and the PA tops (RCF 312a's) into the desk via my DHA pre amp pedal and it sounded great so a lot less to carry to the gig (SVT & 410 less!).
Back on topic, probably best to leave speaker match with cab to the experts!

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1474245730' post='3136516']
My trouble is that I've had an injury & been unable to gig & it gives me far too much time to think about & find fault with equipment .
[/quote]

This is a common problem for mountain bikers (where injuries are a lot more common than in bass playing). Big crash = accidental new bike purchase! ;) I had a small but painful crash a couple of weeks ago = new tyres...

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1474277843' post='3136641']
This is a common problem for mountain bikers (where injuries are a lot more common than in bass playing). Big crash = accidental new bike purchase! ;) I had a small but painful crash a couple of weeks ago = new tyres...
[/quote] Funny you should say that , this was done on my mountain bike .