Why become a member? ×

HNC Project

still-young

Hello,

For my engineering apprenticeship HNC I have to do a project where I design and possibly make something and then present it at the end of the year. I was thinking of doing something music related, possibly a synth or effects pedal or something, but I'm not sure it really solves a problem like a lot of other peoples seem to. Are there any ideas people have, or problems they have, I could look into? Could be electrical or more mechanical/hardware related. Just any ideas at this point would be good.

Honestly, I don't mind. In terms of hardware I was thinking things like the b-blender or hipshot d tuner, but obviously I'd have to improve them somehow or make something new. Electrical wise could be pickups or stuff like that. The only thing I don't have any clue about is digital stuff and programming and things.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1474017859' post='3134912']
A decent bass wah that works at a number of switchable frequencies, with a range of sweeps etc comparable to the best envelope followers including auto and manual at the same time. And with no annoying mechanical/electrical crackles that develop over time!
[/quote]

That does sound suitably difficult/high level! I'll have a look at that!

As a former lecturer, I'd say what you need to do is understand how the project is going to be marked. I'm assuming you are not doing a marketing course and therefore the uniqueness and sale-ability of you concept is likely to attract few marks, whereas the design and construction will give you plenty. If this is correct you can simply identify something you feel would benefit you, not the market. Of course these days an environmental concept (making something that exists already using greener tech), or manufacturing benefit (a la Henry Ford or Leo Fender) is normally a key marking criteria.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1474471805' post='3138265']
A wah pedal or "bass drum" type effect for an acoustic soloist that produces the electricity to power itself. A bit of a re hash of the dynamo powered bicycle light?
[/quote]

You've put me in mind of that silly bicycle that Mark Ronson rode around in a music video a couple of years ago. For an HNC project though, I'd say it's got legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVELTxKRoHA

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1474796656' post='3140501']
Lightweight, collapsible trolley that could also negotiate stairs.
[/quote]
Like this?
https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2602-folding-stairclimber-barrow.aspx?Source=Google&Medium=cpc&Campaign=Shopping&vatsetting=1&infinity=gaw~Shopping~GPC%20INDUSTRIES%20LTD~69739524841~~&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsai_BRC30KH347fjksoBEiQAoiaqsdH06YHGzLfqpQIEzsTNVZQnT1EnORxx6EhJh76cxLQaAnkx8P8HAQ

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1474961836' post='3141747']
Like this?
[url="https://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2602-folding-stairclimber-barrow.aspx?Source=Google&Medium=cpc&Campaign=Shopping&vatsetting=1&infinity=gaw~Shopping~GPC%20INDUSTRIES%20LTD~69739524841~~&gclid=Cj0KEQjwsai_BRC30KH347fjksoBEiQAoiaqsdH06YHGzLfqpQIEzsTNVZQnT1EnORxx6EhJh76cxLQaAnkx8P8HAQ"]https://www.esedirec...cxLQaAnkx8P8HAQ[/url]
[/quote]

Ooh thanks.
(Sorry OP) x