Why become a member? ×

Any Hofner Violin Bass Players Around?

gsgbass

• 2 years later...
On 22/09/2016 at 19:34, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've got the "entry level" version - it was called the Icon at the time, but I think they're called the Ignition series now...

I picked it up from Thomann with a fitted hard case and a "correct" strap for about £240. It sounds fabulous. For quite a light instrument, it really packs a punch. Mine still has the factory fitted strings, so I can only imagine what it would sound like with decent flats on.

I also did the trainspottery mods - flipped the pick ups, replaced the black knobs with "teacups", brassoed the "Icon" logo off the truss rod cover blah blah. They really are great basses - even the cheapo version. The real deal must be incredible!

I've got the same - also pimped with teacups! What do you mean by flip the pickups?
As for the strings, seriously, whack some flats on as soon as you can - it will bring the bass to life! Mine's got the Hofner flats with the dark green silks. Joyous thump.

Sorry to resurrect such and old thread but ...

I recently acquired a Hofner Ignition Club Bass and the Hofner Black Nylon Flats E-string (with the light green silk) doesn't fit through the tuner. Are you saying the nickel flats fitted OK?

3 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Sorry to resurrect such and old thread but ...

I recently acquired a Hofner Ignition Club Bass and the Hofner Black Nylon Flats E-string (with the light green silk) doesn't fit through the tuner. Are you saying the nickel flats fitted OK?

It was years ago now but I had no trouble whatsoever when I changed the strings. I didn't even need to tweak the neck.

I'm playing the bass a lot these days as my band rehearses in a very small room, for financial reasons. My Thunderbird struggles to fit in the room. That said, the Hofner really does sound wonderful, and has such a happy tone to it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

It was years ago now but I had no trouble whatsoever when I changed the strings. I didn't even need to tweak the neck.

I'm playing the bass a lot these days as my band rehearses in a very small room, for financial reasons. My Thunderbird struggles to fit in the room. That said, the Hofner really does sound wonderful, and has such a happy tone to it.

Thanks for a very swift reply.

Do you recall were the flats Hofner branded or the Pyramid Golds (which I believe are the same)?

1 hour ago, EssentialTension said:

Thanks for a very swift reply.

Do you recall were the flats Hofner branded or the Pyramid Golds (which I believe are the same)?

They were Hofner branded. The D and G strings had a bit more presence than the E and A at first but they have evened out now.

• Thanks 1

I am using roundwounds on my Hofner and it is amazing how much versatility it adds. I was using Ti flats but there are some songs I play with my band that I thought would sound better with the growl and bite of rounds so I got a cheap set of rounds and it really sounds good, with both pickups on it has a midrange presence that cuts through well and with the bass slider on the on position I can get a deep, warm tone. 

On 15/09/2016 at 10:11, grandad said:

That looks a beauty, nice wood. I have a soft spot for these, the McCartney connection I expect.

Not a Hofner I'm afraid but I have an Epiphone Viola MIC. The wood and finish are excellent. The tone is full strung with flats, RS77M.

To achieve a decent action along the fretboard my luthier modified the bridge, shaving the height. He also reduced the screw height to make damping comfortable. It is now a favourite noodling instruments, so light and with a lovely action, though I don't think I'd gig with it.

Update:

I took the Epiphone over to the USA and gave it to my grandson. He plays in the church band in Woodstock Ct.

I then bought a Alden violin bass off ebay. I set it up with flats and it played nicely and I gave that to another grandson here in the UK.

I then found my first Hofner in the Little Guitar Shop in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. Just the ignition model but so light and punchy and it did have that Hofner plunky sound.

But I sold that when I found a CT and this is it now, no more buying. OK I haven't tried a made in Germany 500/1 but the cost is too much, and I'd be frightened of denting it. I'm not comfortable handling expensive instruments. I'm happy driving a Ford and have no desire to own a Porsche.

So I've got a Hofner and I must be honest and admit to wanting that logo on my head stock. 

Every make of violin bass bass seems to have a slightly different character sound-wise and I've never found one I've disliked. They do require a good set-up to play nicely and get the action suited, sometimes shaving the bridge, so I've always had a luthier do the work for me. Flats are my preference and the dedicated string sets will fit the smaller tuner holes.

Comparing the Ignition and CT models I didn't realise how different they are and regret selling the Ignition. The CT has less plunk and more sustain. The Hofner pick-ups, (on both models),  are the most powerful of any bass I've owned. I would say the CT is the most articulate instrument I've ever tried, it has a very clear voice and, lost for words, I can only say musical voice. I really enjoy playing it and it is my favourite instrument alongside my Squire Mustang. I seem to alternate between the 2.

Lastly I would like to say how stunning the woods are on all the models. Guitars are beautiful objects and the sunburst finish just makes them works of Art.

• Like 1

I’ve never played one, more the pity. Always been a bit wary of them for 3 reasons.

1 short scale. I have owned s/s basses, but not wild about them.

2 neck dive. I assume they’d be neck heavy as the have such a light body.

3 string spacing. I play finger style and the strings look really close together whereas I used to 19mm spacing.

However I could really use a lighter weight these days and something really appeals about the violin shape. So can anyone dispel my fears about them.

7 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

I’ve never played one, more the pity. Always been a bit wary of them for 3 reasons.

3 string spacing. I play finger style and the strings look really close together whereas I used to 19mm spacing.

However I could really use a lighter weight these days and something really appeals about the violin shape. So can anyone dispel my fears about them.

Due to the body shape and the bridge position the violin SS neck seems/feels longer than my Mustang. Violin nut width is 42mm rather than 38mm as on the Mustang so string spacing feels more 'normal'.

They do feel strange at first and take a bit of getting used to so I'd say maybe buy a cheap one, an Epiphone maybe and see if you like it or not. If you try an Ignition model it will feel like a toy when you first pick it up.

Can't say neck dive ever seemed an issue. I think you've just got to try one out and live with it for a bit.

17 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

There may be some neck dive, but as the whole bass is so light it's really not an issue. I've certainly never noticed it.

The string spacing is very tight and it's too fiddly for me to play fingerstyle, but I'm happy with a plectrum and my basses tend to dictate how I play them - with the Hofner I use a plectrum all the time. It just works better for me.

Another thing to remember is that these Hofners don't have normal strap buttons, but instead use a bizarre dog lead-style clasp. They come with a strap but you don't have many other options.

• 1 month later...

For anyone wanting to try there is a HCT violin on fleabay at the moment for £275. Looks good and that's a  bargain price.

N.B. Ref the above post: My violin has normal strap buttons.

Edited by grandad
mispelling