Why become a member? ×

Hercules Stands with Sticky Grip

BigRedX

I have 5 of the standard Hercules GS414B stands and recently the rubber on the grip section used to alter the height has become sticky, but only on 4 of them.

I can't use these at gigs any more, because every time I fold them down and set them back up, the grip leaves a nasty sticky residue all over may hands.

Any idea why this has happened? And how can I get them back to their non-sticky condition?

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1473864504' post='3133670']
Mine too. A quick search indicates that this is not uncommon and occasionally leads to the stand failing! Time to find an alternative brand i think.
[/quote]

I can't afford to replace 4 stands and TBH I haven't found a better alternative to Hercules that is actually any good for holding basses with asymmetrical bodies.

Maybe it's time to email Hercules and see what they say.

The problem you fellas are experiencing is known to Hercules - I had a similar issue last year, contacted their UK supplier (part of EBUK) who sent a replacement FOC which I donated to the raffle at this years Herts Bash.

I believe this is the link:

[email protected]

As we know, the Customer service at Strings and Things is excellent so I have no doubt that this can be resolve to the satisfaction of all concerned.

I noticed this exact same problem with mine last week. Had mine for 5 or 6 years now - looks like they're all self-destructing at the same time!

Was wondering if I can remove the mucky residue with acetone or white spirit but I think I'll drop an email to Strings & Things first.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1473959644' post='3134563']
I noticed this exact same problem with mine last week. Had mine for 5 or 6 years now - looks like they're all self-destructing at the same time!

Was wondering if I can remove the mucky residue with acetone or white spirit but I think I'll drop an email to Strings & Things first.
[/quote]
I would definitely not use acetone on anything foamy.

Acetone is one of the most aggressive solvents for plastics you can readily access. There are some plastics it won't touch ( polyethylene, polypropylene for example)
There may be some foams it is ok with, I don't have so much experience there, but because a foam has a large surface area, if it is affected, it will be a lot, and quickly!
I really wouldn't do it, but if you try it, do it somewhere very inconspicuous, as always with an untried process.

Just wanted to post with a very impressive resolution to my problem from Alex at Strings And Things.

4 brand new Hercules stands arrived this afternoon to replace mine with sticky grips.

Excellent customer service that cannot be faulted. Many thanks to Strings And Things!