Why become a member? ×

Playing gigs at military bases?

BrunoBass

60s and early 70s were the halcyon days. Most of the working bands in my area were doing USAF bases in east anglia and cleaning up.| At the time the base polis were pretty lax about who got to shop in the PX as well, I often made more off the cigars, cigarettes and booze I bought than off the admittedly pretty good money we earnt.
Sadly it is all pretty much gone these days. Also used to do a tank proving ground in the West Country a few years back. Always fuN!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1473692559' post='3132307']
60s and early 70s were the halcyon days. Most of the working bands in my area were doing USAF bases in east anglia and cleaning up.| At the time the base polis were pretty lax about who got to shop in the PX as well, I often made more off the cigars, cigarettes and booze I bought than off the admittedly pretty good money we earnt.
Sadly it is all pretty much gone these days. Also used to do a tank proving ground in the West Country a few years back. Always fuN!
[/quote]

Back then, Mildenhall and Lakenheath...Lordy, used to get some great deals in the PX at those places. :lol:
A big introduction to Burgers, Pizzas and woman in uniforms as well. :)

Yes, USAF great. We used to do lot at Fairford in the sixties and all of the above apply. Vodka and Seven Up was a popular tipple, and Camels. We were gathering at the Belle Vue at Cheltenham ready to go and somebody came in and said JFK had been shot. And I don't think we ever went back. Did Greenham too.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1473686747' post='3132241']

I later went on to do the CSE tours for quite a while, these were all over the World,
and those gigs we would be backing turns on a production show as a side band.
CSE was booked through a musical fixer from a pool of around twenty five musicians,
so yes, very difficult to get involved with.

I think there is another Basschatter who did sound and/or lights on them.

[/quote]

Yup, that's me! I did dozens of CSE gigs and they were all an amazing experience.
There are a couple of other basschatters who've played in CSE bands too.
Sadly CSE no longer have the M.O.D. contract, which is a real shame as they excelled at it and had been doing it since WWII when the concept of entertaining the troops as we know it began.
However I don't know who's doing it now.

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1473618063' post='3131712']
Did some of the RAF bases in Germany back in the day. Happy memories of turning up for breakfast in the officers mess as they were at there for lunch in full dress uniform. Great gigs too, poor folk bored out of their minds and looking to blow off steam big time.

In negotiations to do the local base next year. In reference to the thread I started earlier, we won't be filming that one- it's the sas.
[/quote]

We did some of the German bases as well, quite a while ago. Interestingly its the only time ive had curry and rice for breakfast 3 days running ;-)

Quite disturbing seeing the squadies jumping up and down on tables with rifles in therm hands, prettying to shoot each other.

One gig was in the dead of winter and our van was the only vehicle that would start. We had to go round the base jump starting some of the other vehicles.

My last band did a few over here, but i cant remember how we got them.

Edited by dave_bass5

We had a semi-regular gig at RAF Lossiemouth about 15 years ago, in the Sergeants' Mess. Can't remember how we first got in there, but it was always a great night, without fail, and the money was twice what we got in pubs. Also did Kinloss a few times, and on the back of that we did a week going round bases in England.

Fed, watered, well paid, well looked after. Now that the idea's been raised, I might look into getting the current band into Lossie ... :)