Why become a member? ×

the most radical bass shape I've seen in a while

Angel

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1473613181' post='3131659']
Oh no... another manufacturer that obsesses with marketing to math-metal bassists like Dingwall and Warwick...
[/quote]

Dingwall have just one model, a signature model that is played by an artist who amongst other styles of music that he works with also plays in a tech metal band.
There's no marketing by Dingwall that has ever said that the brand is specifically for metallers. So obsessing?

The instrument works well in drop tuning environments and there are plenty of bands that do drop tune too. Some even play metal.

Some of these look more like sculptures than bass guitars... I've never had a chance to play any of Sanchez' instruments, but he is respected as a luthier, and his craftsmanship is outstanding.

http://davidsanchezluthier.blogspot.com.es/p/bajosbass_30.html

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1473613181' post='3131659']
Oh no... another manufacturer that obsesses with marketing to math-metal bassists like Dingwall and Warwick...
[/quote]

I have to admit, I was shocked to see the development of modern metal bands flying the Dingwall flag. I know they don't just aim for that, but for me, I tend to see them as verging off that way now....and modern math metal is just plain dull. How many notes can you play? A lot....great.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1473627074' post='3131846']
I like the green single cut.
[/quote]

These are interesting and I'm finding the shape really reminiscent of the Spear singlecut that appeared a few years back:

I think these were about £300...

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1473695803' post='3132351']
i actually think modern math metal/djent/tech prog metal is amazing, YMMV ;)
[/quote]

Agreed. The worst thing about Djent is the silly name! :D

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1473694260' post='3132333']
I have to admit, I was shocked to see the development of modern metal bands flying the Dingwall flag. I know they don't just aim for that, but for me, I tend to see them as verging off that way now....and modern math metal is just plain dull. How many notes can you play? A lot....great.
[/quote]

Why shocked? Genuine question :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1473705425' post='3132452']

Why shocked? Genuine question :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure actually. I thought it would be more of a funk/fusion type of bass. I have a lot of respect for metal, despite the fact I think a lot of it now is dull and boring to play, but I think it's current math/djent super low tuned craze is one the most odd sub genres. There becomes a point where all of those computer generated kick drums/awful toned guitars just sounds unmusical. Bass just sounds like any other 2 pickup distorted bass tone. Not all of it...

Pioneers in the hardcore scene like Dillinger Escape plan are different.....I always side with the punk/hardcore bands. Metal just has such a weird 'image' now....not all of it, but once you get into the metal genre, you'll become associated with it and people may ignore your basses / guitars as another metal fad.

Djent is just annoying. The best metal band in the last 15-20 years is Deftones.

When it comes to Art - I like a lot of really "out-there" stuff - Dali, Pollock, Kandinsky...it's all good. But I'm incredibly conservative when it comes to basses. I have no doubt that these are beautifully crafted instruments, but the designs just don't work for me at all. There's something about a P Bass, or a R*kenb*cker that floats my boat in exactly the same way that these don't.

Chacun a son gout, eh?

• 1 month later...

I love everything about that design. Enough so that I ordered one (albeit a four string). Most original and best looking single cut I've yet seen.

No one can accuse him of just rehashing a Fender yet again. Still, I am keeping my '59 Precision as I certainly like that aesthetic as well (and it's often what's appropriate for the gig regardless).

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1473612007' post='3131638']
A Padalka

Edit: Pic shows with preview but not in thread?
[/quote]

This would normally be the antithesis of the bass I would like but visually I find this rather arresting. Confused now and needing a lie down...

Edited by TrevorR