Why become a member? ×

Flea market Funk machine

Bastav

Got the back and middle layer of the body rough-cut and planed. In the second pic you can see the back where I´ve cut a portion of the bottom layer away. This was planned but not carefully. The idea is that I will anchor the strings there and hide away the volume controls for the piezo but I don´t know if they will fit or not. If not I´ll just have to put the controls on top, no biggie, but I do like the thought of a clean front.

I've begun putting the top together. I glued up the two pieces for the center section and the three pieces for each of the wings. Im quite please with the grain matching of the wing portions, it's hard to spot where the join is

That center section will get bound in the same way as the fingerboard. If I get it right I should have a decent neck pocket when the top is glued up.

Roughed out the headstock

and volute. I added a bit of wood (an off-cut from headstock thicknessing) to make it bigger

The clampening part 1. The back and middle layer of the body are married

and the top is mostly ready for glue up

Next up is glueing the FB, cleaning up the cavitys before glueing on the top...

Neck pocket!

For a template I used three pieces of wood double-stick taped flush with the neck pocket already in the top, then I used chisels and this cute little planer that I hadn't really found a use for until now to clean up the pocket and make it square.

Had never done one before but it turned out as well as I could have hoped. The plan is to do a set neck. Ive got a small, tenths of a mm, gap at the top of the neck pocket between the neck and the wall of the pocket but as the table wood is so dark some wood glue and saw dust should make that pretty invisible... What do I need to know before glueing in the neck?

• 1 month later...

The neck is in and the transition has been carved. Next time doing a set neck where the neck wood matches the body wood I'll be sure to add a accent veneer. Also the bridge has been slotted for the piezo and screws that will fix the bridge in place once intonation has been set.